cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest! Coming in Spring, $399

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Just confirmed at OC5, Santa Cruz has the official name of Oculus Quest.

$399 is a great price!
115 REPLIES 115

Is it me or was that a v poor Vader voice imitation?
(It will prolly turn out it was J E Jones actually doing it now I said that!)

I like to think it was Palmer Luckey.

But it probably wasn't.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

CrashFu said:

kevinw729 said:
SuperHot might be a bad example, since I'm pretty sure the minimalist, low-poly graphics will port pretty damn well to Quest. :tongue:  (There are already Oculus Go games that are waaaaay more visually impressive than SuperHot, after all.)    I imagine that popular existing titles with simple or cartoony graphics like SuperHot and Job Simulator will be hits all over again with the new audience the Quest brings in.

Now, titles with high-detail graphics like Robo Recall and Chronos might be another story... I've never actually tried playing them on minimal graphics settings myself, so I wonder how many of such games would need to have their art assets actually redone to look good at a lower rendering cost?

I have an issue with "minimal graphics settings" - it is a compromise for lower spec PC owners, but it does kinda defeat the point of the "your PC is VR suitable" proclamations!!

I agree, I selected SuperHotVR as I know that it works on OQ, and also that there is a VR arcade version in the works.

RobotRecal is so borrowed from the arcade Virtua Cop, that I expect a high end untether version on the DOE scene soon. We just had one of our largest trade events, and the number of VR arcade and attractions systems made it clear the sector is investing hard,.

You may have heard the report that three theme parks removed VR off their coasters - this was in part due to difficulties to get riders loaded in time, but also had a lot to do with the issues of subpar VR that the GearVR offered not living up to expectations (and the small issue of Samsung dropping all support of the GearVR!)

Our sector is "better than" VR, I just hope the consumer VR scene does not become "ok VR" focused!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

LZoltowski
Champion
Basically what I have been saying since the announcement:

But the following day, Oculus chief technology officer John Carmack — a video game industry legend who is responsible for creating seminal shooter titles like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake — was more straightforward: the Oculus Quest is a gaming console. “Realistically, we are going to wind up competing with the Nintendo Switch,” Carmack told the crowd. Where the Oculus Go headset is “80 percent media and 20 percent gaming,” the Oculus Quest is emphatically gaming-focused. In fact, it’s arguably the first VR headset to offer the perks that have drawn people to products from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.
Carmack argues that the Oculus Quest, like the Nintendo Switch, reorients how, where, and to what extent you can enjoy games. Oculus isn’t trying to replace its high-end Rift headset in the same way Nintendo isn’t trying to replace your PC or Xbox. But it’s building something that’s portable and user-friendly while providing some of the same experiences you’d find on a higher-powered device.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/17914364/oculus-quest-vr-headset-game-console-cordless-standalone

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

kevinw729 said:

RobotRecal is so borrowed from the arcade Virtua Cop, that I expect a high end untether version on the DOE scene soon. 

Strange! I have virtuacop and I have RoboRecall.
Other than both involving a gun and shooting I am not seeing the similarity 
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

bigmike20vt said:
Strange! I have virtuacop and I have RoboRecall.
Other than both involving a gun and shooting I am not seeing the similarity 

Would you prefer if I said "generic SEGA-style arcade shooter?"

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

koi375
Honored Guest
Is there any confirmation that Quest will support Medium? That's really the main thing I'm interested in.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

koi375 said:

Is there any confirmation that Quest will support Medium? That's really the main thing I'm interested in.

No word yet. I imagine that they would need to release a toned down version for it to run on the Quest's Snapdragon processor. Medium's current recommended requirements are an i5 and 1060 GPU.

CrashFu
Consultant
Hopefully they won't have to tone it and other artistic apps down too much..

I'm not much of an artist myself but I like to imagine that Quest would be a serious hit among artists, by allowing them to do 3D art far more quickly and intuitively than they could with a mouse and a 2D display.

(None of the artists I know can afford to invest in high-end PC's, so not much chance of them getting Rifts any time soon, sadly)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

kevinw729 said:

Would you prefer if I said "generic SEGA-style arcade shooter?"

but it isnt that either... you are, either deliberately or accidentally A) putting sega up on a pedestal  and saying they created an entire genre   B ) saying that the robo recall devs plagarised  virtua cop essentially taking away any credit for them making the game and C) the bottom line is they are completely totally different games.

virtual cop is a very simple gun game with set scenes that you are transitioned through, Time crisis could be said to be an evolution of virtua cop perhaps, which was an evolution of duckhunt but really how tenuous do you want to get?

RoboRecal  is a full 3D environment that you can move around at will and you can grab and interact with the combatants. none of that can be done in simple light gun shooters like virtua cop

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

bigmike20vt said:
but it isnt that either... you are, either deliberately or accidentally A) putting sega up on a pedestal  and saying they created an entire genre   B ) saying that the robo recall devs plagarised  virtua cop essentially taking away any credit for them making the game and C) the bottom line is they are completely totally different games.

Thank you for your detailed opinion on RR - I have enjoyed playing the game myself, and appreciated the bug fixes with the update.

Yes, I do place SEGA on a pedestal, though Time Crisis is still one of my top five amusement pieces of all time - that immersion achieved with the pedal opened a lot of doors for me.

I still feel that RR was inspired by a lot of VC - and you have to be careful, we had more than just one VC, they released at last count three different version migrating across into the Option GHOST series in amusement.

Nothing wrong to say a good shooter is inspired, and borrow elements. I know you want this to be seen as a totally "new thing", but you have to understand that some of us are entitled to a different perspective based on previous experiences that differ to you. Thanks anyway for sharing.