New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,745 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Erm I don't have the old card anymore. That got sold within hours of posting for £500 no less.

Oh yeh and I have installed Fallout 4 VR.

Anyhow. I don't really know what I am looking for here as I have not really paid much attention  to VR performance generally. As of now I can just give anecdotal evidence that playing Fallout 4 VR with 2.0 SS in OTT very playable indeed. Yes still moments of stutter but handles much better than I remember compared to the 1080ti. IIRC with 2.0 SS it was unplayable before.

PCARS 2 using the 1.5 OTT SS and in-game SS 2.0 is buttery smooth.

Hellblade highest settings also very smooth a few stutters here and there but looks great.  I think you reach a point when adding more AA has little visual effect. I did boost this up to 200 with no issues.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,477 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Erm I don't have the old card anymore. That got sold within hours of posting for £500 no less.

Anyhow. I don't really know what I am looking for here as I have not really paid much attention  to VR performance generally. As of now I can just give anecdotal evidence that playing Fallout 4 VR with 2.0 SS in OTT very playable indeed. Yes still moments of stutter but handles much better than I remember compared to the 1080ti. IIRC with 2.0 SS it was unplayable before.

Hellblade highest settings also very smooth a few stutters here and there but looks great.  I think you reach a point when adding more AA has little visual effect. I did boost this up to 200 with no issues.

Nice - and congrats. If you've upgraded to 1.31, does Home 2.0 run smoothly using ss 2.0? Thanks!

BTW, if you use Oculus Tray Tool you can enable the Performance HUD and constantly monitor your frame rate. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Techy111 said:
    I'd like DCS, IL2 FSX with Flyinside please ;)

are you into flight sims?
    Seeing as I help run Flyinside I guess the answer is yes  :D
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,672 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    So what about using this DSLL that @LZoltowski was talking about? What does that do for these games you are testing?
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player

I was able to run Robo Recall and Marvel Power United at 2.0 ss at 90 fps solid.

SteamVR is a total mess for me. I'm getting high CPU usage which is killing my frame rates. I that's a SteamVR specific problem. 

But sure to use the performance HUD to ensure you're getting 90fps. ASW is very good at making things smooth. 

I tried Lone Echo @ 2.0 ss but it wasn't stable. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    RedRizla said:
    So what about using this DSLL that @LZoltowski was talking about? What does that do for these games you are testing?
    There are no games support DLSS available right now. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,537 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    DLSS isn't a feature that can be enabled on games generically. It requires submitting the game to Nvidia so they can train a deep learning neural network on a super computer to understand how the game looks. Once the network is trained, it can fill in missing pixels by guessing.

I had no real need to upgrade, my MSI GTX 1080 does everything I need. However this morning smoke started coming out of it and the card is now dead. So I'm back on my old 980. :(
    Good excuse for an RTX card I guess.
    edited October 2018
    @kojack - I always get a 5 year warranty with my Geforce Cards, it sucks yours has gone up in smoke. How much warranty do you get? Also, do you reckon old and new games games will be submitted to Nvida to get the DSLL treatment? 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,537 Volunteer Moderator
    It was a 1 year warranty, I bought it 2 years ago.
    It was running fine when I went to bed. 3 hours later when I woke up I noticed the PC was off. I thought maybe there had been a black out. But I couldn't turn it on again. I unplugged everything, no luck. I pulled the geforce out and the motherboard then booted fine. Hmm. I plugged the geforce back and turned on the power, smoke came out of the far end.  
    Oh well, at least I never sell old hardware, so my previous gfx cards are sitting here ready for use. :)  If the 980 dies I can fall back on my 680.
    I still have my original Geforce 256 here if I get really desperate.

It was $1167au back in 2016. The 2080TI is almost double that here.

The submission to Nvidia is just one part of the process. Then the game needs to be modified to use the trained data. It needs to use the NGX api to access the AI features.

edited October 2018
    @kojack - Can't you get a 5 year warranty on cards where you come from? When I pay for a Graphics card I'd be worried it was going to develop a fault if it only had 1 years warranty..
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    Wow 1 year is pretty poor. Minimum length in UK for GPUs is 2 years with most offering 3+.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,477 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:

I was able to run Robo Recall and Marvel Power United at 2.0 ss at 90 fps solid.

I tried Lone Echo @ 2.0 ss but it wasn't stable. 

Nice results, thanks! - Especially if you used MSAA x 4 and ss 2.0 in Robo Recall. Although it seems that many think that Robo Recall isn't very hardware demanding, it actually is when using ss 2.0 and starting to crank up MSAA. Using ss 2.0 and MSAA 4 I usually get 45 fps ASW, but using ss 2.0 + MSAA 2 I usually get 45 - 90 fps. And although 45 fps isn't very noticeable in that game due to teleport controls, it's easy to observe on your hand movements and when the robots are jumping etc. 
    Is MPU with Ultra settling + you're forcing ss 2.0? I believe the only diff between High and Ultra is that you activate antialiasing (with almost no effect when you're using ss 2.0, so non-2080 Ti owners using ss 2.0 should probably never select Ultra, but go for High ;-)

Sad about Lone Echo - one should think that that's the one game Nvidia would've checked to ensure VR compatibility, but Ready At Dawn is using their own engine, Nvidia probably have focused on UE4 and Unity, but I'm just guessing. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Wow 1 year is pretty poor. Minimum length in UK for GPUs is 2 years with most offering 3+.

Yup, all of EU is covered by the same law. 2 years. And yep, to remain competitive many manufacturers one up themselves here as a selling point. Some even offer 5 years!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,151 Volunteer Moderator

Yup, all of EU is covered by the same law. 2 years. And yep, to remain competitive many manufacturers one up themselves here as a selling point. Some even offer 5 years!
    I was about to say the same. Wonder if anyone knows if we'll be falling back to 1 year after.. you know... the B word happens.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
    edited October 2018

I was about to say the same. Wonder if anyone knows if we'll be falling back to 1 year after.. you know... the B word happens.

If I only got a 1 year warranty in the UK, I don't think I'd buy anything expensive again. I'd just go second hand all the time..
    Yeah, like LZ says, some manufacturers have there own warranties that are longer than the EU minimum... Corsair have 3 years on their AIO coolers, or at least they did when I RMA'd mine. Think it was the same with Asus' motherboards.
    I scraped in with my TomTom Runner watch which was just within its 2 year EU warranty when a firmware update knackered it. According to their T&C's everywhere outside the EU is only 1 year.

Like you say @RedRizla I'd start thinking very hard about buying something pricey if it was less than 2 years.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 340
    Trinity
    https://wccftech.com/fractured-lands-nvidia-dlss-improves/amp/
    NVIDIA’s performance graph showcased the RTX 2080 performing even twice as fast as the GTX 1080 in certain games with DLSS enabled. What’s your experience after testing it in Fractured Lands, with regards to performance and image quality (compared to the normal version of the game)?

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    edited October 2018
    https://wccftech.com/fractured-lands-nvidia-dlss-improves/amp/
    NVIDIA’s performance graph showcased the RTX 2080 performing even twice as fast as the GTX 1080 in certain games with DLSS enabled. What’s your experience after testing it in Fractured Lands, with regards to performance and image quality (compared to the normal version of the game)?

Damn, that game looks fun! reminds me of "Mad Max" love those movies :D

P.S. My RTX 2080 Ti will be here tomorrow along with my wireless adapter for my Vive Pro!!! gaming heaven is almost here!
    Trinity
    Looks like the rtx2080 is ahead of the 1080ti in these tests . Newer drivers helping ?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-rtx2080ti-tensorflow&num=1
    I was able to play Fallout 4 VR @ 1.7 pixel density. I maitained 90fps in the city areas with a few dips. Indoors, no problem. The 1080 ti could only handle 1.3 pixel density. 

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,717 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    I was able to play Fallout 4 VR @ 1.7 pixel density. I maitained 90fps in the city areas with a few dips. Indoors, no problem. The 1080 ti could only handle 1.3 pixel density. 

Sounding good! Still waiting on my card.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Trinity
    Well another interesting take on the rtx cards, for me I'm looking at moving from rx480 to GTX 1080 ti or rtx 2080 and with the GTX 1080ti and rtx 2080 staying around the same price point. I don't see it mattering

Trinity
    I don't know what's going on with this 2080 ti but my system reboots under any amount of GPU stress, I have a beast 1100W PSU... so im at a loss as to what the problem is... what a shame. Tonight im going to remove the overclock on my cpu if that could free up some power... however, 1100W should be enough for both...  What a bummer.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Evileyes said:
    I don't know what's going on with this 2080 ti but my system reboots under any amount of GPU stress, I have a beast 1100W PSU... so im at a loss as to what the problem is... what a shame. Tonight im going to remove the overclock on my cpu if that could free up some power... however, 1100W should be enough for both...  What a bummer.
    It happened to Linus Tech tips too, they had a 1200W PSU and overclocked GPU + CPU ... the only way it became stable was him to plug the PC into an uninterrupted load line variable power supply.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Is this with the FE cards or any 2080 ti?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited October 2018
    Evileyes said:

I had crashes and lockups with my 2080 Ti too. There were two things I did that seemed to fix it. One, I downloaded the MSI Afterburner Beta and set a good custom fan profile (50% at 30C up to 100% at 70C) which stopped the overheating. Then following a Reddit thread, I switched my PSU into single rail mode. It seems that Corsair digital PSUs have some issue by default, but single rail mode helps. Not sure I totally understand the problem, but after I did these two things I stopped getting game crashing. However, Windows sleep in now unreliable and most of the time it does not wake up. I'm not sure if that is related to changed PSU settings, there was no problem previously with my GTX 1080 and same PSU.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Trinity
    Thanks for the update cyber!

i was wondering if you knew the procedure to changing my cooler master 1100 to single rail mode, like you advised.

seriously almost RMA’d this thing and went for a EVGA brand. 

Im going to postpone the return because of your post so thank you!
    edited October 2018
    Evileyes said:

I had crashes and lockups with my 2080 Ti too. There were two things I did that seemed to fix it. One, I downloaded the MSI Afterburner Beta and set a good custom fan profile (50% at 30C up to 100% at 70C) which stopped the overheating. Then following a Reddit thread, I switched my PSU into single rail mode. It seems that Corsair digital PSUs have some issue by default, but single rail mode helps. Not sure I totally understand the problem, but after I did these two things I stopped getting game crashing. However, Windows sleep in now unreliable and most of the time it does not wake up. I'm not sure if that is related to changed PSU settings, there was no problem previously with my GTX 1080 and same PSU.

Will this be something Nvidia is going to fix without having to mess about doing all the stuff you've done? The fan running at 100% all the time can't be good can it? I don't think I've heard of Graphics cards having problems with PSU's, as long as they have enough wattage and are a good brand.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,745 Valuable Player
    Not had any crashes/problems with mine at all. I have been pushing it with 4K content without issue.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited October 2018

I've been trying to check ATX specification and it seems spec 2.2 calls for overcurrent protection to kick in if the load on a rail exceeds 240W. PSU manufacturers must have been building their units to exceed this spec to allow for graphics cards for a while now but we'll have to start looking at our individual PSU spec and 280 Ti variant spec very closely. I think we either need a new ATX spec or graphics card manufacturers need to think about signing up to the Paris Agreement.