New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium Suggestions

Comments

• dreaterndreatern Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Matcap Shading support with option to load custom matcaps.  
    VR ART Discord Server: https://discord.gg/cvuWAHu
    Chat (text and voice) all kinds of art in VR. Draw, Paint, Sculpt, Music, Animation.... Share your sculpts, stamps, references, mesh, videos, tutorials, find someone to join your sculpture session and learn together.  
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,072 Valuable Player
    Not sure if someone has already suggested it or not but a Zsphere equivalent would make creating organic models a breeze! Maybe Pixologic have that tied up in a patent though?

It would REALLY speed up creating organic models and could see me ditching Zbrush for Medium!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 491
    Trinity
    @snowdog ditch Zbrush lol 😂 I do know some of the medium team previously worked on spore creature creator, that app is very powerful for making forms - if something like this happens to Medium it could be as insane as the move tool. 
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    "and we’re always listening" - good thing I am not paranoid :D anyways feels a little like writing to father Christmas this.... and it is already SO good! But if possible... the possibility to stamp images as a texture on sculpts...or a surface texture tool to make bumps or something with retopologizing….smaller file sizes :) …………………………………………………………………………………………………..substance painter integration!!!!1 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH~! okay I am just getting over excited here
    Also would it be possible for the studio share option to use the perty voice comms instead of a separate Medium VOIP as the sculpt data tends to lag the VOIP totally out and everything starts to lagg. I think the studio share things deserves some love as it breaks all the time and it is really awesome to sculpt together. Also a way to move closer together as being 10 meters apart.... is it not possible to instead of streaming the entire sculpt to just exchange the position of the voxels and update clientside? BTW I really think the team is awesome and Medium is by far the best thing in VR.

Trinity
    @Henri1970  i think a studio sculpt2pass should be considered - in studio share you can pass over a sculpt and it's physically passed to the person in studio share. The lag is really bad from what I experienced hopefully it get some serious attention. Even a 3d / 2d composite of what's happening would be better in the meantime. 
  • 3d-illusions.co.uk3d-illusions.co.uk Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    paintable pbr materials that get exported as vertex attributes (diffuse, roughness, reflection weight, refraction, refraction weight, ior, opacity etc). Then I can set up a material in Houdini to base it's values on the exported vertex attributes. A bit like substance.

Move shapes.

Alpha inflate/deflate so things like skin detail/scales etc can be done in medium (like in zbrush)

Solo layer (for faster export, and also to make it easier to move things)

Opacity control per layer.

Quick temporary rig joint like in mudbox (selects all connected geometry from the point selected with a controllable falloff at the start) Good for posing fingers and other things which are impossible to move individually if there's a lot of geometry very near.

Masking.

A new hierarchy importer tool which allows the user to import individual layers or hierarchies from different medium files, fbx and obj files (keeping the hierarchies intact). Create a way to favourite embedded hierarchies for future use without having to search again.....like an advance stamp importer for single placement mode only.

Freeze layer. Turns voxels to a low ram visual representation but still includes in the fbx/obj export. This would make it possible to have much larger scenes.

Save stamps at full res, then the user can decipher the resolution needed for the current layer based on the size of the green tool preview. (save a low res version too for the stamp explorer).

Include reference/polymeshes in the exported FBX/OBJ file. An option would need to be provided to either include the full mesh in the exported file, or just dummy objects that store the position/rotation/scale values along with the file location to keep the files light. Then a bit of python could be written to replace the nodes in the 3d app of choice.
    Trinity
    For solo layer you can hold left trigger and select the layers then hit the eye and that will hide the selected layers, ie shift select. 

I still think masking is difficult with SDF formats - convert layer to move brush may work. You could have an arm and convert that to a move brush or maybe cut shapes may work, just typing and thinking lol 😂 

i think the only surface texture option would be a flatten projection stamp or some kind of negative projection stamp system. Same could go for painting - paint stencils 
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,670 Valuable Player
    When you hide a parent layer, the children are hidden along with it. This is right and proper and probably makes baby Jesus happy but from here it would be handy if we could override and make a child or two visible while leaving the parent layer hidden. This is currently not possible without de-parenting the child layer. Baby Jesus writes your name on another bullet   :(
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 702
    3Jane
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    When you hide a parent layer, the children are hidden along with it. This is right and proper and probably makes baby Jesus happy but from here it would be handy if we could override and make a child or two visible while leaving the parent layer hidden. This is currently not possible without de-parenting the child layer. Baby Jesus writes your name on another bullet   :(
    Along these lines, it would be helpful to know if a selected layer is among the collapsed layers, especially when the parent layer is not selected. This could be done by changing the color, using a symbol besides the checkmark in the box, or a similar method.

When you haven't been careful labeling which layers you work on, or if you accidentally drag an element into a closed folder (often a problem on sculpts with lots of elements), forget to de-select, do several copies, simply want to highlight a specific subfeature, etc...     it can be difficult to identify where it went.   To find it you then have to open up each closed folder, risk accidentally rearranging things, etc.  

In these situations, knowing which groups have an active element in them would be quite helpful.
  • MetronsMetrons Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Lots of great feedback on here, lots of great suggestions. I was wondering, does anyone know if medium got a fix for importing our brushes? Last time i tried importing all my 'stamps' i could only do it individually? wth??? i'm hoping this got fixed in a patch or something?
    3Jane
    edited October 2018
    Metrons said:
    Lots of great feedback on here, lots of great suggestions. I was wondering, does anyone know if medium got a fix for importing our brushes? Last time i tried importing all my 'stamps' i could only do it individually? wth??? i'm hoping this got fixed in a patch or something?
    If I remember right, you do it like regular import, except you just hold the left trigger down while making selections, allows multi-select.  Anyhow, did mine last week, multi-select is working. 

If I got the specifics wrong, someone feel free to correct me.
    Trinity
    @Metrons yes multi import is epic just remember to refresh the folders in medium. 
    Trinity
    Suggestion - when changing the shader attributes the sculpt is lit green, this is seriously counterproductive when trying to get the right shader look. Really hope this is changed. 

Move tool default all layers has caught me out way to many times - current layer is the way to go. 
  • JasonWJasonW Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Would really like to see Medium ported to Quest this spring. Would be a liberating experience to sculpt anytime anywhere and then be able to share sculpts between Rift and Quest.
    3Jane
    JasonW said:
    Would really like to see Medium ported to Quest this spring. Would be a liberating experience to sculpt anytime anywhere and then be able to share sculpts between Rift and Quest.
    I'd be surprised if Quest could handle it on more than a lightweight level.  If it can't sculpt, I'd still like to have a viewer, would be cool to be able to share art that way
  • JasonWJasonW Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I'd be surprised if Quest could handle it on more than a lightweight level.  If it can't sculpt, I'd still like to have a viewer, would be cool to be able to share art that way

I think you are underestimating the Quest. I have an Oculus Go and have used SculptVR on it and it is very performant. I agree, heavy models or lots of layers could be an issue, But I think a lot of work could still be done on the Quest regardless.
    3Jane
    JasonW said:
    I think you are underestimating the Quest. I have an Oculus Go and have used SculptVR on it and it is very performant. I agree, heavy models or lots of layers could be an issue, But I think a lot of work could still be done on the Quest regardless.
    Good to know.  I tend to push my system hard when sculpting, but I suddenly just got a lot more interested in picking up the Quest when it comes out
  • industrialpunkindustrialpunk Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Would love to see a new spline curve type constraint - i.e. you create a spline curve then the clay/paint would follow, similar to the line constraint... this would be handy for accurate compound curves and could lead on to other future functions with splines.

Cheers !
    3Jane
    Thinking about rigging for posing.

Even if a general rig setup that gets adjusted to a random model is too complex/processor intensive to use, at this point, as a full mode....

Would it be possible (and less complex) to have a predefined model (such as a figure dummy) that was maneuverable by the joints for posing.   Basically like the anatomy figure, possibly simplified, that could be used to set up a pose, then copied to clay.

I'm guessing this would bypass a lot of the overhead that goes with stretching rigging, getting the model to conform, and processing all the clay stretches.  Basically a pre-rigged item that stayed connected and was manipulated by moving joints/parts.  Once happy with the pose, flip it to clay, and the rig doesn't need to stay active.  Flip to clay mode would have option of 

A) entire figure

B)joints as independent layers (ideally pre-grouped for the model)

Seems like this could be a good interim step, or even just a really useful tool for fast pose setups.

C) A more elaborate concept would have the limbs grouped in pairs.  So, say, the forearms start in something like a paired mirror mode (where the mirror is defined as radius from the center axis/point of the cone, rather than the sculpt center).  While linked, operations on one half of the pair would mirror on the paired piece. 

3Jane
    edited October 2018
    Texturing mode thoughts

As I continue to work out using stamps for texture, one thing that I've noticed is that when you set a stamp to continuous is that it overwrites as it drags forward.  The result is that the height map and color are determined by the angle the stamp drags through the area at.  This can be useful for some things, but makes it much more difficult to place texture using stamps.  Similarly, apply to surface, often creates fairly random angles, so is less than ideal.

Proposal (or at least concept to start with)

add "texturing" to "continuous" and "single" mode for stamps.   Ideally it works as a checkbox option, so that it can be selected with either of the others.  If not possible, linking it to continuous is better.   The way this would function is that when placing new material, it would only place if the voxel was "blank".

Ideally it would  not add material if there was material already present or if a boundary box(?) around the stamp had passed through it since the last trigger pull (?) not really sure what the best way to do that would be, but merits some thinking.  If the negative space on the stamp could be preserved that way, opens up possibilities.

This would allow a "bumpy" or "cracked"  stamp with different elevations, to travel over a surface and leave whatever pattern was on the upper portion of the stamp.   Valleys in the stamp would allow the underlying material to show through(?), since they aren't over-written.   Seems like this would be really useful for things like cracked skin, tree bark, or other patterns.  Also useful for applying repeating color patterns if painted on the stamp.  If a non-contiguous stamp (another advantage of a stamp boundary) was used in this mode, it could do very interesting things as well.

Anyhow, ideal end result is the ability to "paint on" texture.  Contours wouldn't need to be calculated, just whether or not there was anything there yet, and maybe a stamp boundary.  If the stamp can avoid overwriting itself, at least until its traveled from one end of the stamp to the other, would be very powerful tool.

EDIT: 

BETTER SOLUTION (probably much more efficient, and probably much easier to create).  When entering the mode, align the stamp using the line tool.  Can check voxels on the stamp, along the line, from the center for presence of clay.  When an empty voxel is reached that establishes the endpoints. 

When laying the stamp in this mode, that creates a stamp interval. The stamp is placed, staccato style, at those intervals (until the mode is exited, regardless of any future stamp orientation changes).  This would allow end to end, continuous stamp placement, using the full stamp texture.  This would enable repeating patterns in both color and texture.
  • tolitttolitt Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Wishlist.
    It would be nice if showed how many times the grid was enlarged!

• tolitttolitt Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The alternate tool mode (Pleace add. Bind "B" I'm left handed)

3Jane
    Photo panel.  Hinge for the camera panel, or set at a slight angle.   First reason, is it can be a bit awkward to reach for some images.  Second reason,  trigger is inconsistent when taking pictures, (doesn't always snap the photo) so I prefer to use the window. 

Unfortunately, the tool projection line often goes through the frame.  Alternative is have the projection beam stop when intersecting the panel, so it doesn't go through the image.
  • Stef_Stef_ Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey guys, first post here.
    It would be nice to be able to pin a window in mid-air, like in Oculus Home, especially when using stamps while kit-bashing. Is there an option for that, am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
    Stef
    3Jane
    Stef_ said:
    Hey guys, first post here.
    It would be nice to be able to pin a window in mid-air, like in Oculus Home, especially when using stamps while kit-bashing. Is there an option for that, am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
    Stef
    I don't think that is possible, but I'm not 100% certain.  I'd guess that if you can or if it gets implemented, it will include a pretty significant performance hit. 
    3Jane
    Scalable mirror.  

When working on projects with large backgrounds and figures, for example, the mirror is huge  (subjectively a few hundred feet tall) and very difficult to maneuver or align.   Being able to resize the representation would make it much easier to place, and tilt appropriately.  It's pretty difficult to position it when the axis is as wide as the figure and pulling it into position is like reeling in a cruse ship's mooring line.
  • meler101meler101 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Batch Export layers and or batch Export layered nested groups with more export controls.

A Batch export function that decimates each layer with control for decimation amount for each layer export (to allow more control per object over fidelity) as a separate file (0001, 0002, 0003) is more or less what I am describing at a basic level.

For level design and art direction from a large scale scene perspective, this tool is badass. It has a lot of rough edges to be viable  within the game industry in regards to pipeline. Especially when you want to iterate easily between engine and software.

I find the export process to lack features to help speed up the decimation process as well as maintain overall fidelity and control to keep the meshes accurate. I most likely will document my workflow sometime this month within a sketchbook thread as suggested by @dreamsharper.

Currently, I export each layer as a seperate FBX (it takes forever as I have to manually rename the file) as to keep the export times low (with large scenes/layers), and to control the overall decimation amount for each layer/object. A scene structure in my workflow is as such: Terrain, Rocks, Trees, Unique object 01, etc. However I need to have necessary control over resolution and ease of use for iteration. Furthermore, It would be awesome, to be able to break up layers into sub layer objects, but im not sure Medium could handle that with a voxel setup.

Sometimes I merge layers and export each layer manually by turning off other layers  to later break up the objects in maya with a mesh separate function. However, you cannot control the individual asset's decimation amount. And sometimes this can cause issues with accuracy and export speed. If no decimation is done, the file can be heavy, and the mesh reduction must be done in Maya or Zbrush (which isn't difficult, but adds time). If I could export each layer as a batch with the layer names I would re nest in Maya or zbrush if necessary.

A further sample is creating a warehouse scene of assets. I made a bunch of rocks and cliffs all in the same project so as to control the overall scale of every asset relative to each other. This is a fantastic thing to do by the way. Now, the export process takes a long time when you try to get all of them out as a single nested file. It would be great if they could be exported in a batch script with all the layer assets being reset and moved to the origin instead of having to do it in Maya like this > Mesh Separate (gets rid of hidden floating vertices or separates objects within layers), Modify > Center Pivot> Manually move to origin. I could make a script in Maya to do this mind you, but it always comes back to decimation being a huge slow down in the process. If it batch exported by turning off each layer as it goes with settings for universal decimation value, or set decimation value per layer, The process would be far smoother as this is what I currently do. The drawback is the naming of the files is manual and time consuming when done manually.

Medium devs, it would be incredible if you could implement instancing within export based of a mesh brush. this way, only one mesh is decimated and then re propagated throughout an area in the final export. this ensures the objects will all look the same without a heavy non decimated scene.

If I can and need to, I usually opt not to decimate, but to export a single merged layer. I then load the OBJ into Zbrush, to handle the dense meshes, Seperate into similar groups, and then have faster more accurate decimation control using decimation master (as you know what the decimation will look like), but this adds more steps than is necessary and slows production. But this is much faster than when done in maya. I just think it would be pretty cool and useful to have more control over the export with larger environment production in mind. If Medium could automate what I do in Zbrush, that would be an incredible time saver as it speeds up iteration times. Including a visualizer for mesh triangulation based on decimation amount 

I would hope to move further discussion to my thread to get more ideas from the rest of you. I am sure this was a confusing read. I tried my best, but I think I just need to document my current workflow (on the way).

My original thread:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71623/export-setting-for-larger-scenes-and-multiple-layer-batch-export/p1?new=1

• Tyrell_CorpTyrell_Corp Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have some suggestion for functions. I am attempting to leave PC programs behind and use VR solely to retopologize my meshes. I deal in high poly meshes from photogrammetry scans and would love Medium to gives us more precision.

1) The ability to select with a lasso or bounding box, a portion of my mesh/clay and copy/paste it elsewhere. This would help for example when I have 1 window on a wall that came out perfect but the other windows need help. I can just copy and paste the good window onto the bad ones.

2) I need a way to be more precise for long runs. Like recreating a railing or stairwell. The line tool is great but it's soooo hard in 3d space to line it up perfectly. I'm often recreating railings or table legs or chair legs. I know the 6 DOF is so freeing, but can you devise another snapping method? 

3) I'd love to be able to create huge planes to replace walls on a building. So scalable in real-time, planes that can be any thickness I choose.

There's probably more, but I realize you may not have had people like me in mind when you designed this great program. It would be a life-saver if we could move to VR completely for our VR environment creation. You can see examples of the retopo I've been doing on youtube. Just search for mickeymicklos. 

Thanks guys!

-M
  • YiggsYiggs Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My biggest complaints are when I'm trying to do rectilinear features/modifications or align things.

Say I'm trying to lathe a cylinder into a cone because the default cone stamps are the wrong angle. I can't lathe it with any assists/constraints as they all rotate along with the lathe and don't stay bound to the location/positioning of the tool. The grid will rotate/line constraint will rotate/etc. 

Aligning things is also a pain if, again, I want to say lath an object and have it be perfectly aligned on the axis but did not start building the model along the xyz axis originally. It would be cool if I could set a line constraint or realign the sculpt axis via two points. pick two spots on a surface and it would draw the axis through that.

In the same vein, having snaps or something to guide me when I realign the clay tool would be nice. If I want to push a cylinder along an axis and the cylinder is not aligned longitudinally, I can't get the line constraint to align perpendicular and central as it's all free floating.

I know medium is mostly used for organic stuff but so often I want to incorporate things that are man-made and thus fairly rectilinear and those become a big hassle to sculpt out nicely.
  • SubcreationSubcreation Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I'd like to see Spectator Mode added for live streaming from a 3rd person POV. I believe it's possible because I've seen the Mixed Reality live streams that the Oculus team makes, but the documentation appears to be down now. I'd like it to work just like in Job Simulator, so you can discover it and enable it easily just from Windows.