Do you use ASW? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Do you use ASW?

oldgamergazzaoldgamergazza Posts: 65
Hiro Protagonist
I have been playing several racing sims, my gtx1070, allthough I think it was a decent graphics card, used to struggle from time to time with a couple of the sims, I enabled and set ASW to auto, I could not tell when it kicked in, I could not tell the difference, it looked smooth to me, it’s got me asking myself if 90fps is needed?

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Exactly - often you won't notice that ASW is on, soon an update to ASW may make it even more perfect - thus 45 could be the new 90 ;-)

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/09/oculus-announce-asynchronous-spacewarp-version-2-0/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    I have been playing several racing sims, my gtx1070, allthough I think it was a decent graphics card, used to struggle from time to time with a couple of the sims, I enabled and set ASW to auto, I could not tell when it kicked in, I could not tell the difference, it looked smooth to me, it’s got me asking myself if 90fps is needed?
    Interesting, I usually notice a significant improvement in smoothness when I turn it off.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    No I don't use ASW but Elite is the only one I notice I must Disable it.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    It depends on the game. ASW is great for the occasional hickup with an otherwise 90 fps but for games that struggle to ever reach 90 fps, ASW is cancer due to all the distortions. A prime example is DCS. I'd rather play at 45-80 fps with constant bouncing than to have ASW on. Reason: I can aim and fly with it off, janky as it may be. With ASW on, cockpit instruments and gunsights are completely unusable. Everything jitters around as ASW tries in vain to figure out what to do with fast moving objects against a slower moving background.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,598 Valuable Player
    I game mostly in combat flight sims, and for those I turn ASW off with the Oculus Tray Tool. I just get a better experience with it off.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    when I run more apps to configure car setup in Assetto Corsa I see it kick in... then when I race I remove certain apps an my FPS goes back up to ~90...
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    I do not like ASW 1.0.

I would rather play a VR game at 30 FPS without it on than a game at 50 FPS with it on

The artifacts are incredibly bothersome

I am hyped for ASW 2.0's fix for those
  • MPiresMPires Posts: 113
    Art3mis
    I always have ASW enabled. In practice I only use Rift with iRacing and only in some situations the ASW has to work and usually does it in a competent way. If the intervention of the ASW is more time consuming I notice some entrainment in the image but I do not see any reason to turn it off.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,581 Valuable Player
    I use it in some games and and can't wait for ASW 2.0 to drop..
  • oldgamergazzaoldgamergazza Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes, how long to ASW 2?
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    Always ON as I prefer a smooth 90fps experience and can leave with few small glitches, but in IL-2 where the propeller right in front of me create too many permanent glitches.

So as an ASW 1.0 lover I can't wait to try ASW 2.0. That's to fill the gap before I'm able to create my new powerful computer before Christmas, and with it ASW will probably kick less often ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,263
    Wintermute
    Off for me.  Asw on looks terrible (stutters and wavy objects)and lowers FPS on my flight sims like X-plane 11.  Still, I look forward to trying asw 2.0 when it comes out.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

• CalibosCalibos Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    .....and the mighty Valve still dont even have an ASW 1.0 equivelent. I wonder how their computervision skeletal tracking, face tracking, hand tracking, personalised HRTF, 200deg waveguide meta lens and deep learning eyetracking with foveated rendering research is coming along?? LOL

Its looking more and more like their partnership with HTC and the development of the Valve Room tech into the Vive was a Hail Mary or blocking move after Facebook bought Oculus and they realised that they were not guaranteed to be the default VR Storefront after all. However Lord Gabens heart and chequebook is really not in it and given its another disappointing hardware foray for Valve after Steam Machines, we may never see a 2nd Gen HMD from Valve in partnership with HTC nor anyone else. Even a giant like LG who were toying with the idea of becoming a SteamVR hardware partner looked at the competition presented by Facebook/Oculus and the investment they were putting into R&D and content funding and said to themselves, "Feck this for a game of Soldiers! We're Out!"
  • Orodreth16Orodreth16 Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    Calibos said:
    .....and the mighty Valve still dont even have an ASW 1.0 equivelent.
    I'm not an expert in this, but isn't Steam's asynchronous reprojection basically the same? 

On topic: I have ASW set to auto but I usually lower my settings until I hit a solid 90 fps.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2018
    No. Its the same as Oculus' Asynchronous Timewarp which the Rift launched with in April 2016. Asynchronous Spacewarp entered the oculus drivers no later than October 2016 and could be tried out by users with a registry tweak. It officially went live for all Rift owners in December 2016 IIRC. Or whenever the 1.10 drivers went live. AFAIR the infamous 1.11 drivers which screwed up tracking for a while released in January 2017 so November/December for 1.10 seems right.

By all accounts ASW 2.0 resolves the few cons of using ASW 1.0. .ie the graphical artifacts it sometimes causes. Like I said, Valve doesnt have an answer to ASW 1.0 nevermind 2.0.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,220
    Wintermute
    I didn't even know this was a thing, to disable it? lol

How silly am I!!! haha

I've always had it enabled and not noticed any issues tbh though :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Hiro Protagonist
    I hardly ever notice ASW 1.0 kicking in myself either. I'm running a GTX1080 @ 2000mhz and never put SS beyond 1.5 because apparently beyond that is a drastic case of diminishing returns as far as clarity or its AA effects are concerned so theres apparently no point going beyond 1.5. Maybe if it was kicking in all the time if I was running SS of 2.0 or running a GTX970 it'd bug the hell out of me and I'd turn it off. Fingers crossed ASW 2.0 does what it says on the tin which is little to no artifacting and everyone can leave it on permanently. Its a huge deal to be able to run VR games at 45 fps instead of 90 both in terms of the hardware required to play and the graphical fidelity possible in games once its in place. It could open up the doors to more ports of monitor games where devs didn't even bother trying because they knew they'd never be able to optimise their game enough to get it hitting an average FPS of 90 in VR.
  • TaintFistTaintFist Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    ASW is a godsend for running heavy games, especially if you tack on a bunch of mods to the game that beef up graphics.  Being able to run at 45, allows for much better graphic, and with ASW I only notice ghosting here and there, it's pretty rare though.  As Calibos said, if ASW 2 does what it claims out of the box, it will be amazing.

• MicrolanderMicrolander Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Recently been playing assetto corsa again and now when ASW kicks in it just has a frame ghosting effect and sometimes feels like it skips a few frames. its very much affecting me and really hurts my eyes but its weird how after a year ive just noticed it but it feels like theres an actual problem. not just ASW. anyone suffered anything similar here
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 533
    Neo
    edited October 2018
    On Steam games only and moreso racing games with the rift, i have had to disable AWS because it was causing all kinds of issues like the whole slowing down speeding up thing, and i think this is more a Rift software issue than the rift or steam itself seeing as if i play the same games with the Dell visor they are all silky smooth at all times, so some kind of software conflict issue between the rift aws and steam that i have never been able to fix or find a fix for.
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 462
    Trinity
    It seems SteamVR finally caught up. They have a new feature called Motion Smoothing, which is basically ASW.
    It's gonna be an interesting fight : ASW 2.0 vs Motion Smoothing.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • Muskoka1Muskoka1 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Always off for me, regardless what I'm doing. 
    MSI Z370 Gaming Plus - i5 9600k 5ghz 1.325 vcore (60c when gaming) - 32gb 2666 - 1080ti - Win 10 Pro - Rift S - Rift CV1