cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you play games at 1080p and 2k on a 4k television?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm going to upgrade my television, but will I be able to play games at 1080p and 2k on a 4k television? Also can they be set to full screen when viewing them on the television at 1080p and 2k?

13 REPLIES 13

LZoltowski
Champion
Games from what, a PC? What television? Details 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant
Sure you can.  However it will depend on how your TV down scales to lower resolutions.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Games from what, a PC? What television? Details 🙂

Yes, from a PC to television. No idea which 4k TV to get at the moment. but I was just trying to figure out if this could be done with certain sets. @Digikid1 seems to think it can, but I will have to look at a few televisions first. The other thing I need it to do is play in full screen because I want to upgrade to a 55" screen. I think I might go with an LG television this time as the input lagg on them seem good across most of their televisions..

Would there be anything bad I need to lookout for on a television I'm want to use for a PC? Cheers!

YoLolo69
Trustee
I don't see any reason unless we have a serious regression about TV features. Never owned a 4K TV but all FullHD TV I owned was able to play games at lower resolutions (even 640x480) keeping fullscreen display (sometimes at cost of different frequency).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I hope Redrizla you post your impressions once you see some decent 4K footage or gameplay and compare to 1080p. It's quite staggering and once you convert you will wonder what the hell you were doing with 1080p content.

😄 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Shadowmask72 - Yes and I'll be honest about it. I haven't actually seen what games are like in 4k, I've just listened to other people saying you can't tell the difference on a 42" Tv at 1080p. I have seen some 4k films though and can tell the difference, so I am starting to wonder now..

Problem then is, can I get by with a Geforce 1080  😕

RattyUK
Trustee

@RedRizla - before I bought my 4k monitor I used the TV (LG 55" UHD ) to play from the PC with 2 player games (mostly Lego games) if the grand daughter was here and had no issue in all resolutions from 1080p to full HD.

Note that the windoze desktop text is tiny on a TV - but if you are only wanting to play games, go for it!
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RattyUK - I've got a 1080p monitor that runs at 144hz and it was great when I could actually sit in front of it without any problem. Now my back starts to ache and I can't get a decent pair of glasses without the monitor hurting my eyes. Now decided on an armchair and Tv for gaming, rather then hunched over my desk looking at a 27" monitor..

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
All that smoking can't be good for you either. Anyhow blues man were always better than reds. Then they made those really fine ones in a golden brown packet which I swore by back in the day.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.