Oculus confirms second-screen support is coming to Oculus Go — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus confirms second-screen support is coming to Oculus Go

snovaksnovak Posts: 16
NerveGear
Does anyone know of how to view/stream to an external monitor, so people in the room can see what you're looking at?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/oculus-go-second-screen-casting-coming-soon/
Looking for feedback.  Any roadmap or ETA on this feature?  

Comments

  • voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    snovak said:
    Does anyone know of how to view/stream to an external monitor, so people in the room can see what you're looking at?

    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/oculus-go-second-screen-casting-coming-soon/
    Looking for feedback.  Any roadmap or ETA on this feature?  

    According to a July 5th tweet from John Carmack "It is coming along well." You can find a link to the twitter thread from the original link you posted. I'm posting this from the Go browser and copy/paste isn't in its repertoire.
    A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2018
    This would be the top feature I would like to see implemented (asap). Makes it more fun for people who would like to see the action as well.
  • relaxculusrelaxculus Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    +1
  • chettawanchettawan Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oculus itself will benefit feom this feature.
  • CrimsonSky3000CrimsonSky3000 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I have been using scrcpy to mirror my go to desktop. Works wired and wireless but couldn't get wireless to work.

    Wired looks great there is commands to reduce resolution if there is more lag.

    See here for instructions

  • snovaksnovak Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Any update on this one?  Ideas of when Chromecast functionality, or casting in general, will deploy?  I'm using scrcpy (thanks @CrimsonSky3000 ) right now, which is "OK", but supported functionality would be welcomed with open arms.  
  • CrimsonSky3000CrimsonSky3000 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    snovak said:
    Any update on this one?  Ideas of when Chromecast functionality, or casting in general, will deploy?  I'm using scrcpy (thanks @CrimsonSky3000 ) right now, which is "OK", but supported functionality would be welcomed with open arms.  
    Hi @snovak

    I assume oculus will announce screen mirroring at next week's OC5.

    In the meantime you can mirror the go to Chromecast using scrcpy and chrome browser, see tutorial video below. Works well.



  • rgholmrgholm Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Update from Oculus blog Sept. 26th: "Even better, players can soon share their epic VR moments with friends outside of the headset. Oculus Go will support casting as early as next month..." Link
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    rgholm said:
    Update from Oculus blog Sept. 26th: "Even better, players can soon share their epic VR moments with friends outside of the headset. Oculus Go will support casting as early as next month..." Link
    Finally - been waiting for that feature from the first day. @imperativity Any info you can share on the (minimum)specs of the viewing devices? IOS(version, Iphone 5 6 7 X)? Android (version, and Phones maybe?) etc etc...
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    @maxBr

    I have nothing new to share as this feature isn't released at this time.
    That´s plain trolling .. :p
     Poster of the week imo ... lol
    Be good, die great !
  • mrphilipjoelmrphilipjoel Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The Oculus app on iOS updated today stating "Casting from Oculus Go: see all action on your phone." I've completed the update, but I don't see the 'casting' option anywhere in my Go.
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    The Oculus app on iOS updated today stating "Casting from Oculus Go: see all action on your phone." I've completed the update, but I don't see the 'casting' option anywhere in my Go.
    Maybe the GO must receive a signal from Oculus HQ to go live at some date...
  • Get_RevvedGet_Revved Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Seems a bit daft that they included this in the changelog, to then not have it available to use. Oculus are usually great at hiding changelogs, so why now include one that just teases people. Communication is key!
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Get_Revved Could be lots of things - maybe finishing up GO side of the software, waiting for android app (launch at same time), marketing etc
  • peternrgpeternrg Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Waiting for this feature to be 'activated'.... 
  • VinohVinoh Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Got this message back from Oculus support:
    "Although we have announced that this feature will be launching soon, we do not have any information on this at this time."
    He seemed to be unaware that they announced the feature as available in the release notes.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    We're aware of the situation. The feature is launching soon but there is no more information than that. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • VinohVinoh Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    We're aware of the situation. The feature is launching soon but there is no more information than that. Thanks.
    Thanks for confirming. 
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Casting is finally live - apparently - being rolled out gradually this week.

  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2018
    The GO has updated - the casting option is available. An iPhone is connected (bluetooth) and on the same wifi. If casting is started on the GO nothing happens though. Anyone successful?
    Edit:
    * It works now. Had to reinstall the Oculus app on the iPhone and allow (push)notifications.
    * No audio (no biggie)
    * It lags CoasterCombat (too bad)
    * Dev builds will not cast -> Why??? Especially for devs this would be a very welcome / much needed feature - if you could share the view while testing would be BIG
  • rgholmrgholm Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    maxBr said:
    The GO has updated - the casting option is available. An iPhone is connected (bluetooth) and on the same wifi. If casting is started on the GO nothing happens though. Anyone successful?
    Edit:
    * It works now. Had to reinstall the Oculus app on the iPhone and allow (push)notifications.
    * No audio (no biggie)
    * It lags CoasterCombat (too bad)
    * Dev builds will not cast -> Why??? Especially for devs this would be a very welcome / much needed feature - if you could share the view while testing would be BIG
    Looking for the same support. How do we add casting support to our dev apps!? 
  • JoeS2018JoeS2018 Posts: 28 Oculus Start Member
    I think it's supposed to "just work."  It did for me in my testing, but my beta testers are reporting that they get an error along the lines of "can't cast app outside the headset."

    Maybe the feature's just buggy, but maybe there's something we're supposed to do to enable it.  Would love to hear some official response from Oculus about this.
Sign In or Register to comment.