Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive + Pimax + StarVR

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Here are the headsets that the Oculus Rift is NOT competing with:
  • Oculus Quest
  • Oculus GO
  • GearVR
I've seen the question posed (repeatedly) on multiple sites that the potential success of Oculus Quest will somehow harm the Oculus Rift. The Rift is in a PC market, Quest is in a Mobile-Console Market (it has a Snapdragon processor with an Android OS). The advances that GO and Quest can make to visual immersion are limited (e.g. correcting Chromatic Abberation) due to the lack of powerful processors combined with a dedicated GPU.
If Oculus Quest and Oculus GO managed to sell 1-billion units each while the Rift remains less than 10-million... this is NOT bad for the Rift. Because the Rift is competing with other PC-based VR units that are trying to become leaders in PC-based Virtual Reality, not Mobile- or Console-based VR.

HTC Vive
They are still fresh in to launching their updated VivePort platform and the Vive Pro is technically better than the Rift. HTC has spent this year giving lectures about their future in VR which includes being able to read "brain waves."
http://www.alphr.com/virtual-reality/1006556/this-htc-vive-prototype-lets-you-play-vr-games-using-br...

Pimax
For those who have been following along Pimax's success... they are on the verge of releasing the 5K-Plus with plans for the 8K-X (native 4K resolution) with an increased FOV that is superior to the Rift. And by piggy-backing off of the Vive's successful Tracking setup, we have a Kickstarter that could "potentially" outshine the Rift in a few short months.
https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-8k-to-being-shipping-by-months-end-pimax-5k-plus-announced/

StarVR
This headset is marketed towards "visionaries" and totes itself as being "dedicated to the innovation of professional virtual reality solutions, with a focus on high-end enterprise applications and location-based entertainment." StarVR has competitive technology today such as increased FoV and eye-tracking. This is probably the Rift's biggest competitor today.
https://www.starvr.com/products/

Talks of a Gen 2 Rift should entail the potential features that it "needs" to have in order to compete with the Vive, Pimax, and StarVR, and to some extend... Windows Mixed Reality. As well as any other contenders for PC-based VR. Let's say for a moment that the success of GO and Quest does somehow negatively impact the Rift (because Facebook and Oculus suddenly forget who their real competition is in this hypothetical), then organization's like HTC, Pimax, and StarVR will simply take center stage as PCVR leaders.

The real question we need to ask ourselves is this: Will Oculus Quest and Oculus GO have a meaningful impact on PCVR competitors like HTC, Pimax, StarVR?

I don't have an answer to that myself. However, I do know that GO and Quest would do more harm to Facebook-Oculus competitors before it would harm the Rift.
45 REPLIES 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed, it's hard to read it all... but it's also so damn interesting! Kudos @Mradr!
I'd like to answer some of these points:

1) It's both. As VR is new, we haven't figured out the optimal way to render it indeed ; but the VR concept itself also needs a lot of power. The bigger the FOV, the bigger the objects to render; that point alone makes the rendering costly. Then, add the fact that you have to render the scene twice, which literally doubles the cost. And add the positioning data, and the software needs (aside from the rendering),...
But that point will improve in time.

2)
H) The fact that it is a "home use" is not a limit per se. It's like you said cars are limited because they can be used only on roads. Do you see what I mean? Everything has a use case, and VR being a home use is not a limit, it's the use case. Besides, there's plenty of stuff to do at home  😄 .
Finally, it can be used in work environment.

4) Among those who say all that, there's also a lot who simply didn't test VR (and by "test", I don't mean "try once", because a single trial can easily be a let down, for various reasons). The current technology already allows a lot that normal tech can't, and even improves the things that normal tech can do. Only people can't realize that because marketing for VR is shit.

6) A few years ago the Oculus Rift was proven to cost less than 300$ to produce. The price is not due to hardware, it is due to research (given that it's new tech, there's a ton of research to do, and that's what we pay for).
A) Er... I seem to recall the mobile VR does split the phone screen in two. As does the Oculus Go. One panel, two rendered eyes.
C) ??? 😄 .

7) That comes in time. We already have Oculus Medium for 3D sculpting, many companies have CAD VR software (especially in automotive), and Oculus is working on hybrid apps to make VR versions of normal software (hopefully they can pull it off!).

Overall, most of these issues are true, but will be rectified in time. As you said, VR is still a work in progress ; but so is absolutely every tech out there. Cars can be improved. Phones can be improved. Computers can be improved. That never stopped the majority of people to buy those. Even when TV was blurry and black&white. Even when cars were barely safe. Even when computers were slow as hell.

My point is, technology issues is not what limits mass consumption. Never has been, never will be. Hell, most people don't even understand some stuff they use.

There are three things to check to make a mass consumer product:
- make it user-friendly. The easier the product, the better.
- show why people need it (what it can be used for, and what it brings compared to the other products).
- make it as cheap as you can.

Those are the real limits that current VR needs to get by. Of course the tech will naturally improve.

Anonymous
Not applicable
1) current screens in VR that use a single panel losses 10% of their total pixels down the middle between the eyes.
2) All the stuff you say "will improve over time" still has to happen - all what I wrote is just put it down as it's not done yet. Just because it can be done - doesn't mean can be blind sighted just yet. IF any of said companies did most of these over night - they will over take the VR crown.
3) 300$ is still triple that of what it cost for a business to replace a monitor.  Business are willing to buy in bulk though - so more of those compare to what you will find in a home for example as well.
4)I know everything has a use case - but phones use case at the start was simply phone calls - and now no one can live without one anymore it seems. VR use case is still limited to VR media and games. More is to come I'm sure. FB is in the works in terms of video calling as we speak - but until stuff like that comes out - it's not check offable yet.
5) The reason you will not see them in business as much - is because everyone wants to someone without having a mask between them. For example, if someone was wearing a HMD in front of you while you are at the DNV and said to hold on- you will feel very awkward while you wait unknowing what they;re doing even if they're just pulling up your information.

Evileyes
Rising Star

I'm expecting some serious gaming in October. My 2080 ti will be delivered this week, and my Wireless adapter for my Vive Pro will follow. I cannot WAIT to be untethered!!!!! This cord shit has been keeping me from playing because when I crouch turn etc.. the cord ALWAYS fucks up my immersion, always.

My opinion is, Vive Pro + Wireless + 2080 ti + 2.0 SS is the absolute best for actually gaming in VR at this point in time...

StarVR isn't ready, and even if it was.. the hardware to run it isn't, and the price is not going to be justifiable for a long time. Pimax, like I've always said had too many variables, taking forever.. piggy backing off the Vive's tracking tech and controllers for that matter.. it just seems too R&D for my taste.. I just want to game, and game right now.. no fucking around with glitches etc..

Again, being untethered is in my opinion going to be EPIC! (liberating!) I'm sure some people don't care about the cord but for me... I believe it will make all the difference in the world. I'm seriously done with this cord shit. Unwinding it, playing jump rope.. adjusting new users with it etc.. I could go on and on. It's wireless or nothing now. (not counting driving or flying simulation of course)

i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

LZoltowski
Champion
Worrying report on Vive Wireless overheating, 

https://uploadvr.com/htc-investigating-vive-wireless-adapter/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worrying report on Vive Wireless overheating, 

https://uploadvr.com/htc-investigating-vive-wireless-adapter/

Beat me to it lol 😄

Digikid1
Consultant
Well Mike from @VirtualRealityOasis now has a nice red 1st degree burn spot in the middle of his head thanks to that dumb thing.  Can only imagine the radiation it is emitting.

CORRECTION : Okay so it was not Mike that suffered this.....but it looked like him from that angle.  LOL!!!!!!

( Disclaimer : no I am not one of those Wifi fearing nutjobs...I am just saying that is a possibility. )

Anonymous
Not applicable
Obs. this is a test to see how well they can get sword art online microwave system working. This way you can't leave VR without having your brain faired just like in the anime.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
In related news, sitting atop a heated oven may burn your arse.

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer
And in other news ..sitting atop a 2000rev spin washing machine can give wimmin serious orgasms !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmmm...might have to get a new washing machine just in case @vannagirl comes over  😄