cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I have had it with Oculus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I think I have had enough with oculus...it is sad because I had high hopes. I bought my rift 2 years ago and spent close to $700, and a very expensive laptop to use the rift with. Purchased a couple of games and for the most part enjoyed it.

Until about a month (Sept. 2018) ago when my rift started acting weird...like disconnecting/reconnecting. I tried using this form for help but no one really helped, actually I think I had only one or two people reply to my request for help. So, then I opened a support ticket. Oculus support person tried their best to help. But, then I thought maybe it is the HDMI cable or the DisplayPort cable. 

So, tested the DisplayPort cable and sure enough it was bad...so I thought I had the smoking gun. But when the new DisplayPort cable arrived...no rift, still same issue.

So, then I thought maybe I'll just order a new HDMI cable from Oculus. Well, here's the straw that broke the camel back.

I could not purchase the cable for the oculus store it keep saying error unable to add payment method. I tried 4 different credit cards, tried using VPN, tried paypal...and nothing just the same error. Contacted Oculus support again...asked if I could call them to place the order...guess what? No, you cannto call us because we provide only support via email or the web...WOW!!!

So guess I am done with the Rift then  😞

RK

17 REPLIES 17

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
What country are you in? If your in the UK or US you can just buy a Rift retail?

And I'm sure I saw someone else on this forum get a free wire sent from Oculus?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not in the US at the moment and will not be back until about April 2019

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, here is the latest from support.

1. First they ask where I was
2. Then they asked if the billing address and shipping address matched.

My response:
1. I am out of the country and I am in Country 'X'
2. No, the shipping and mailing address are not the same

There response:
1. Oh, we do not support your country.

My response:
1. First, off just because you are shipping to a different address then the billing you assumed it was being shipped out of the country. (wrong assumption) It is being shipped within the US.

I have not heard back from them since last Saturday. Also, I am not the only one having problems trying to purchase from there website.

Just thought I keep this thread open and keep everyone updated to the progress or lack of progress...in today's age this is really sad if you cannot make a e-commerce site work. Plus, the error message should be a lot clearer of the problem instead of "...we have a problem try again or contact support." When support is done only via email...the error message should be much more verbose? Does anyone know the hierarchy of Oculus, I mean really...ok I am just ranting now because I am upset.

RK

Have you exhausted all the fault finding options?

Have you tried the Rift with the collection of cables you now have on another PC? preferably not a laptop and preferably just using the HDMI cable to be sure that really is the problem.

Have you tried using your DisplayPort cables (both of them) with another device… either directly or via a regular HDMI cable to an external monitor or TV?

Are you sure the problem isn't therefore with the Rift.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you exhausted all the fault finding options?

Have you tried the Rift with the collection of cables you now have on another PC? preferably not a laptop and preferably just using the HDMI cable to be sure that really is the problem.

Have you tried using your DisplayPort cables (both of them) with another device… either directly or via a regular HDMI cable to an external monitor or TV?

Are you sure the problem isn't therefore with the Rift.

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Not possible no access to a desktop computer. I travel a lot for work and that is why I purchased a gaming laptop rig.
Yes, I have tested both miniDisplay ports and HDMI ports with an external monitor and they work fine. Purchased another DisplayPort adapter because the other was bad.

Process of elimination is what I am trying to determine, but to rule out the rift I need a new rift cable which I cannot seem to buy.

Keep in mind I have had this laptop and rift for two years without issue. Of course things wear out, cables go bad. Just like trying to fix your car, you replace the cheapest parts first, before buying a new car.

After that then the only other thing to think about is the updates that have taken place. It could be a windows update, rift update or Nvidia update. If any of those that would really suck. But I am on the latest of all those...that was one of the first things I did. After that it will be buy a new rift, or the competitors and test it. After then a new computer.

RK

yep, i know the feeling, I've just replaced a wheel bearing on my Alfa, will do the other side tomorrow... after that it'll be the drive shaft.. and after that, it'll be a quote from the garage for the gearbox bearing replacment... and after that a new car.

Anyway, hopefully it's the bearing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yep, i know the feeling, I've just replaced a wheel bearing on my Alfa, will do the other side tomorrow... after that it'll be the drive shaft.. and after that, it'll be a quote from the garage for the gearbox bearing replacment... and after that a new car.

Anyway, hopefully it's the bearing.

Yep, exactly.

Also, I forgot to mention that the rift display started first just blacking out for about a second, then it would come back. This happened maybe every 20 minutes or so...then it started happening a lot sooner and taking longer to come back. Then the display would go black and come back with snow ( like when a TV channel goes off-line), then go black with a lot of dots...then just black and will not come back. This process took about 2 days.

RK

mmm I don't want to sound pessimistic but it sounds more like a component problem with the Rift than a connection problem. Well, like you say try the cheap fixes first.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?