New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Stuck on new Oculus install....

SHADOWSEEDSHADOWSEED Posts: 4
NerveGear
Im installing oculus for the first time and i am stuck on "Installing...". Ive searched around for a solution, but nothing has worked. Ive tried:
Disabling anti-virus
Rebooting

I don't even get a OculusSetup.log file in my local app data folder (the install does not even appear to be creating a "oculus" folder!), so im stumped. Any suggestions ?

Tagged:

Comments

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    Is this possibly one of those wrong type of drive format issues??

Someone techy know?? @cybereality
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • SHADOWSEEDSHADOWSEED Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    vannagirl said:
    Is this possibly one of those wrong type of drive format issues??

Someone techy know?? @cybereality
    "wrong type of drive format issues" ??? as in one of the install drives not being a format the install likes ? All my drives are NTFS. 
    No it is something to do with dynamic etc, if you do a search you will see the problem come up. 

Other users had issues with the format type of the drive. Can you try install on another drive??
    NerveGear
    Ah, if my NTFS drives are dynamic or simple. Thats not it (they are all simple as required by the installer).. :(
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you run Windows Update and make sure you're all up to date?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    You mean the installer just sits at a certain point and doesn't move?
    NerveGear
    The installer just said installing... . I deleted everything (temp folders ect), rebooted and it worked!. Go figure.
    The installer just said installing... . I deleted everything (temp folders ect), rebooted and it worked!. Go figure.
    Great !!

So glad you got it fixed
  • Tod754Tod754 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I am still dealing with the same issue but doing what you did didn’t help. Ugh.
  • NullboltNullbolt Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 2018
    I am dealing with this issue myself. Oculus was working perfectly fine until I tried to play Elite Dangerous through the Oculus app. It usually ran fine, but my Oculus screen started to go black and not work seconds after starting the game up and not work again until I restarted my computer.. So I uninstalled everything. Now, I can't get the Oculus software to reinstall, it just hangs at 'Installing...' 

There is no Oculus software to uninstall in 'Add Remove Programs' through the control panel, but there is an Oculus folder. When trying to delete it, I get an error 0x80071A90 and can't get rid of them. So, I can't uninstall it and I can't delete it.. And I can't reinstall it.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you try stopping the Oculus service before deleting the files? You can do this in services.msc finding Oculus VR Runtime Services and right clicking and stopping.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • NullboltNullbolt Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I was able to finally delete the files, but the installation still hangs and wont finish
  • oGhostioGhosti Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited October 2018
    Same issue here.
    Man, I've had so many issues with oculus since owning one of these damn things. It's such an amazing piece of work, but honestly.. the software needs to be touched up a lot. It's getting ridiculous.. I was uninstalling Oculus using the uninstall.exe because SteamVR scuffed up their stuff as well. So I thought maybe reinstalling Oculus would do the trick.
    NOW I have problems with the install getting stuck at 5.6 (or 5.7) / 5.8.
    Come on...

I might have just found a solution actually. If I did, you guys need to hire me, this will be another thing I've found the fix to that you guys haven't figured out yet.(?). Haha (Joke btw)
  • TikoiTikoi Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same Problem but none of these Solution helped....
  • donnieb867donnieb867 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    After the 1903 update; completely inop.  Tried all of the above steps to no avail.  Anyone else?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    I just looked at DASH LOG (hidden Users>****>AppData>LocalLow>Oculus>DASH) and it's a huge list of errors for my Blackscreen. I don't trust it downloaded all files as it was just 15mins rather than the usual 30 - 45 mins!
  • stickdude32stickdude32 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Couple of weeks ago when my Rift S came in, it was working fine. (Albeit upgrading to windows 10 to use it)
    Recently I tried playing it but normally when I put my hand in front of the sensor to turn it on, it doesn't work.
    Opening the Oculus app gives me an error of "Can't reach Oculus service" and I tried the patch, reinstalling, repairing, doing all of those with my antivirus off as well as the firewall.
    Nothing is working to get it running again.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    This and the Blackscreen issues seem to be either Updates with AV=ON or more likely a Windows Security Update we all had last week as they are the culprits that mess stuff up without any testing on gear.
  • ahsmatt7ahsmatt7 Posts: 0
    NerveGear
    After the 1903 update; completely inop.  Tried all of the above steps to no avail.  Anyone else?
    1903 screwed my crap up too

go into your main oculus folder...it should be there when the installation stops...(mine would stop like at 99%)...

then find the support folder and in that folder go to the runtime folder. click on the OVERServer_x64 file. minimize the screen and maybe that might help.

I believe the install is hanging at the very end because its trying to start to Oculus service and it cant for some reason. I think windows is denying it access. 

Anyways, if you are able to finish installation, you are going to have to start the OVRServer_x64 before you open the oculus app. if not, youll get an error saying the oculus service cant be reached.

I posted this issue in a flightsim forum...

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/555992-rift-s-users-beware-of-w10-build-1903-oculus-app-software-v138/?tab=comments#comment-4021200

• ahsmatt7ahsmatt7 Posts: 0
    NerveGear

go into your main oculus folder...it should be there when the installation stops...(mine would stop like at 99%)...

then find the support folder and in that folder go to the runtime folder. click on the OVERServer_x64 file. minimize the screen and maybe that might help.

I believe the install is hanging at the very end because its trying to start to Oculus service and it cant for some reason. I think windows is denying it access. 

Anyways, if you are able to finish installation, you are going to have to start the OVRServer_x64 before you open the oculus app. if not, youll get an error saying the oculus service cant be reached.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/555992-rift-s-users-beware-of-w10-build-1903-oculus-app-software-v138/?tab=comments#comment-4021200

• BabodildilBabodildil Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    i'm awaiting for the DEV's hot-fix :'(
  • GearwynGearwyn Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    i'm awaiting for the DEV's hot-fix :'(
    LOL I understand, but it also might be 3 years before the fix.
  • rush158rush158 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    This may sound weird but worked for me - I logged out of the phone app & the software installed first time & then updated the firmware.
  • thumbassthumbass Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019

Emerson (Oculus Support)

Jun 16, 6:43 AM PDT

Hello again,

I understand how frustrating this must be, we would be happy to look further into the Oculus software issue you have expressed.

We are currently experiencing a higher ticket volume, due to the launch of the Oculus Quest and Rift S, we will do our best to contact you back with more information or an update in the next 3-4 business days (from Monday-Friday).

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind Regards,

Emerson
    Oculus Support

YAAY!!...just one more day and the helpdesk will finally get back with me via email.  Just think, if their fix they send me doesn't work I only have 4 more days before I'll hear back from them again.  Way faster then getting a response via USPS.

• nitrams19nitrams19 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Used the oculus for 2 years with no real issues but now it wont start up. Have tried to repair and re install but just get error message. Have rebooted deleted updated all drivers and windows and it still wont play , same issues as you guys it sucks. Will oculus respond quickly to this seems like its either the new update from them or windows.
  • ddtappleddtapple Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Had same problem and duplicated as ahsmatt7 said, working now. But max volume output seems to get much lower than it used be. Also, running another file in background is unfair since I purchased this as brand new only 2 weeks ago.
  • BigSlumLordBigSlumLord Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    ahsmatt7 said:

Had same problem and duplicated as ahsmatt7
  • XiphosXiphos Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    ahsmatt7 said:

This workaround got my app and headset working. Thanks for the info ahsmatt7
  • SapulidiSapulidi Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    The above workaround indeed works. I went a little further and managed to let setup at least finish without freezing right at the end. This enables the setup to finish all the way through and create logs in appdata/Oculus. I posted this here!