cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Home is a waste of time for me.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
So, just putting my opinion out there. I didnt enrol into the beta program because i didnt like the added complexity of the advanced home environment or the transition delays between library and store, for example.

I for one have ZERO interest in customizing my VR home and simply want to launch my apps from it. Please allow a basic version for those of us who actually play games rather than just fettle ourselves in the menu.
43 REPLIES 43

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
Launching games isnt my main issue, though i would rather a simple environment or even an abstract and simple menu. The main issue is that a feature i use relatively often has been hidden in the form of a tiny icon in a flash UI popup that IMO does not work as well as the old grey menu and no longer pauses the game you are playing afaik.

So to rephrase, im now not suggesting that anything is unavailable in the new 'CORE' experience. Im just asserting that using the new 'CORE' experience isnt as efficient or intuitive as it was before. I feel as though a 'CORE' experience should be as new user friendly as possible. As it stands, CORE 2.0 is less intuitive than it is indulgent.

IMO the focus of a base UI should be making it good, not making it look good.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think Core 2.0, looks good and is easy to navigate. I'm sure Oculus would have more work to do if they had to cater for 2 versions of Oculus Home.. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Launching games isnt my main issue, though i would rather a simple environment or even an abstract and simple menu.

Your Desktop is your simple menu. Use it instead. Your overall complaint is in the minority considering the vast number of people who once compared the previous Oculus Home to SteamVR. There were far more people complaining that SteamVR and its ability to completely customize their Home Surroundings showed how "out-dated" Oculus Home is in its previous state. And now that Oculus Home has taken what SteamVR did and advanced beyond it... people like you show up to complain about how you want simplicity.
If you want simplicity, create Desktop shortcuts. End of story.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
Zenbane, Thats a pretty solid argumentum ad populum you have there.. Your argument fails to explain why a basic and functional UI is inferior to a bloated and distracting UI where basic functions are hidden or harder to utilise.

How do i create a desktop shortcut to reset in app position? Or do i have to explain to a 12 year old how to find a tiny icon in a ridiculous fluffy UI panel right under his chin?

Pretty sure it was easier before in both layout and perspective.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Your argument fails to explain why a basic and functional UI is inferior to a bloated and distracting UI where basic functions are hidden or harder to utilise.

Your argument fails to explain why having Advanced Options has somehow impacted you in a way where you believe that basic functions are hidden, harder to use, bloated, and distracting.
I find the advanced options to be just as easy to use as basic options.

Crosi_Wesdo said:
How do i create a desktop shortcut to reset in app position? Or do i have to explain to a 12 year old how to find a tiny icon in a ridicouls panel right under his chin?

The ability to reset App Position is controlled by most Software Titles themselves. For the few that do not have that option, you simply click the Oculus Menu button on your Right Touch Controller, and a very simple window pops up that gives you that option. This is a function that can literally be accomplished in 2 clicks.
It is actually taking you more effort to post in this thread than to solve these problems.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
Resetting in app view was easy to see and describe in the old CORE, and is now practically impossible to describe to a third party wearing the HMD in the new CORE software as a bystander outside of the HMD.

If you are the only person who ever uses your Rift, im sure its not an issue as it would not be for me. But when you put your HMD on anothers head and try to explain basic functionality, the new CORE UI, its more difficult.

Im detecting extreme levels of fanboyism in effect here.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Resetting in app view was easy to see and describe in the old CORE, and is now practically impossible to describe to a third party wearing the HMD in the new CORE software as a bystander outside of the HMD.

I repeat:
The ability to reset App Position is controlled by most Software Titles
themselves. For the few that do not have that option, you simply click
the Oculus Menu button on your Right Touch Controller, and a very simple
window pops up that gives you that option. This is a function that can
literally be accomplished in 2 clicks.

If you are the only person who ever uses your Rift, im sure its not an
issue as it would not be for me. But when you put your HMD on anothers
head and try to explain basic functionality, the new CORE UI, its more
difficult.
I have demo'd my Rift to many VR-newbies since 2016, I have a few threads buried in this forum about it. Whether I was using the old Home or the new Home, I have had zero trouble explaining to people what to do. Then again, most people that use my Rift have accomplished other complex tasks in the real world, such as: driving a motor vehicle, making a sandwich, using some sort of smart-device such as a phone or notebook. All of those tasks are vastly more complex than clicking the buttons on a Touch Controller to execute basic functions.
Although I am curious... are any of the people you are referring to actually loading up a VR experience? Or did you just have them looking in a circle at the old Oculus Home without doing anything else? I'm curious as to how anyone who finds the new Oculus Home to be so overly complex would manage to enjoy experiences such as: Lucky's Tale, RoboRecall, Lone Echo, Virtual Desktop, The Unspoken, Dead & Buried, Chronos, or a plethora of other titles.
How about you? Have you played any VR Shooters? Have you used Touch Controllers to attack a moving target? Because that is vastly more complex than anything happening in the new Oculus Home.

Im detecting extreme levels of fanboyism in effect here.

I'm detecting extreme levels of technical ineptitude.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
The fact that you count the current CORE app position reset as 2 clicks shows you cant even count. If you cant count why would you have any credibility in any other facet?

The fact that this function used to be far easier to identify and find seem lost to you, thats where i identify the fanboyism.

Dont get me wrong, i love the rift too. Ive been buying bleeding edge hardware for the last 20 years. But its an objective fact that CORE 2.0 is a step away from simplicity and a step towards pointless marketing.

Having these features is not a problem, having them as a 'CORE' is ridiculous.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The fact that you count the current CORE app position reset as 2 clicks shows you cant even count. If you cant count why would you have any credibility in any other facet?

Let's count:
  1. Click the Oculus Home button to bring up the reset position menu.
  2. Click the option that reads, "reset position"
That's it, task done. If you're counting the final click that sends them back to the VR App that is loaded, then you are reaching too far because your point is that you can't explain how to get them to that option. And it is only 2 clicks to get to that option. Zero complexity.

Also, I have zero interest in gaining credibility from someone who thinks 2 clicks is complex.

The fact that this functions used to be far easier to identify and find seem lost to you, thats where i identify the fanboyism.

nah, you just have no valid counter argument so you resort to namecalling. In fact, your complaining about how "impossible" it is to describe to someone how to reset their position indicates that you have a problem with memorizing and repeating an activity that you should be familiar with yourself.
You also seem to be completely unaware of the Oculus Mirror tool that allows you to see, on your monitor, exactly what another Rift wearer sees even when their just in Oculus Home.
The reason you're calling me a fanboy is because your knowledge is limited and it's easier to convince yourself that the issue is with me instead of coming to terms with your own limitations.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
The current reset app view functionality is a minimum of 3 clicks (not 2). The old functionality is 3 clicks. The difference is with the old functionality i could say press the flush button on the touch controller and click the arrow pointing up towards the right. Now i have to tell people to click the flush button, then the tiny icon in the new toolbar, no not that one, that one, no, yes, that one, now move the cursor to the reset view and click, then click again.

It doesnt matter the volume of demos you or i have participated in, what matters is that it was simpler before.

Again, im not saying anything is impossible, im just saying that complexity for the sake of visual candy, is pathetic.