cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Home is a waste of time for me.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
So, just putting my opinion out there. I didnt enrol into the beta program because i didnt like the added complexity of the advanced home environment or the transition delays between library and store, for example.

I for one have ZERO interest in customizing my VR home and simply want to launch my apps from it. Please allow a basic version for those of us who actually play games rather than just fettle ourselves in the menu.
43 REPLIES 43

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The current reset app view functionality is a minimum of 3 clicks (not 2). The old functionality is 3 clicks. The difference is with the old functionality i could say press the flush button on the touch controller and click the arrow pointing up towards the right. Now i have to tell people to click the flush button, then the tiny icon in the new toolbar, no not that one, that one, no, yes, that one, now move the cursor to the reset view and click, then click again.

All wrong. You just have to say this:
  1. Click the Oculus Home button to bring up the reset position menu.
  2. Click the option that reads, "reset position"

It doesnt matter the volume of demos you or i have participated in, what matters is that it was simpler before.

And it is still simple now.

Again, im not saying anything is impossible, im just saying that complexity for the sake of visual candy, is pathetic.

When someone responds to "change" and exaggerates its impact... that can equally be viewed as "pathetic."

There is nothing complex about Oculus Home. Playing Lucky's Tale is harder.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
Clock home button - 1 click
Click reset position - 1 click
Actuate reset view while looking at button - 1 click - rather than where you actually want to reorient forward view introducing extra variable.

You click reset view button and it resets, rather than letting you  move to your preferred position before pressing reset.

Its a bit of a shambles.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Clock home button - 1 click
Click reset position - 1 click

Yes, see, it is only 2 clicks. Not difficult at all. Glad we can agree and move on.

You click reset view button and it resets, rather than letting you  move to your preferred position before pressing reset.

That makes no sense.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
you click reset to select the option, a further click is required to calibrate said reset. Thats 3 clicks.

The issue being the option is hidden in a tiny icon on a UI bar thats already way below your chin. While the old button was prominent and easy to see.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

you click reset to select the option, a further click is required to calibrate said reset. Thats 3.

Nope, that's the part that functions exactly the same as the old version of Oculus Home. Your argument is that the new version made it more bloated and complex, when in fact... it can be accomplished in 2 clicks.

The issue being the option is hidden in a tiny icon on a UI bar thats
already way below your chin. While the old button was prominent and easy
to see.

Not true, it comes up in a single screen. And the UI bar is easily accessible.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
It cant be though, 1 click, access the menu. navigate to the tiny icon, scroll to the new reset button and click. Then click when facing desired direction. Thats 3 clicks.

Old system was one click to access the grey menu, 1 click to click the easily identified button to reset view, 1 click to confirm new direction. Thats 3 clicks.

The Difference is that the new UI requires more dexterity and pre-knowledge of the interface than the old UI.

Again, im not saying the new UI is impossible, im just saying its bloated.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Crosi_Wesdo said:
The Difference is that the new UI requires more dexterity and pre-knowledge of the interface than the old UI.

Right, let's look at the dexterity required:

First, while in any VR Title, click the Oculus Home button on your Right Touch Controller:

6x0mgrly9pe6.jpg

This brings up the Reset View menu without needing to click anything else:

xi72kwqqi45m.jpg

Point your controller at the Reset View button to proceed to... resetting your view lol

w8ibtvbkrgem.jpg

Lacing a shoe requires more dexterity than this.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I like the new home interface but I do think the basic home was easier for some people.

The biggest issue with the new UI is that flioating menu that appears below with the little buttons, when I point the cursor at the menu using Touch or click using my finger with Touch, either way, it seems a bit....janky, I don't know any other word to describe this?

Don't get me wrong, I like my VR home and spend time moving furniture around and shooting with the gun or using the bow. The visuals and the environment are nice . They should just make an option for a simple menu to appear in that environment when you press the Oculus Home button and then this would cater for everyone..

So people could go options/Oculus home menu/option 1 - floating menu - option 2 - simple 2D menu like before.

So this way we would keep the new home environment but a simple menu would be available within it.

I hope that makes sense.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I like the new home interface but I do think the basic home was easier for some people.

And if this is true, I question what they were doing with their Rift in the first place. Just solving the first half of Lone Echo is 100 times more complex than Home 2.0.

Crosi_Wesdo
Protege
Frogger is an easier game to play than dark souls. But i wouldnt want to have to complete a game of frogger before windows would let me launch dark souls.

As far as i can tell, Zenbanes only argument is that he loves a complex and inefficient UI that kinda hovers just below your chin with some tiny icons that hide key functions, and that anyone that wants a simple and functional option are idiots who dont deserve VR. Classy.

Zenbane, did you ever stop and consider why you are arguing against a simple UI option? I prefer the idea of simplicity for ease of use and efficiency, and think it would be better for users first time experience to get to know the functions before they turn on jazzy UI and these functions become part of a weird floating chin bar.