New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited October 2018
    Evileyes said:
    Thanks for the update cyber!

i was wondering if you knew the procedure to changing my cooler master 1100 to single rail mode, like you advised.

seriously almost RMA’d this thing and went for a EVGA brand. 

Im going to postpone the return because of your post so thank you!

Not sure about the Cooler Master. On my Corsair AX1500i I connected a USB cable to the PSU and then used CorsairLink to disable OCP (over-current protection) on each cable which switches the mode. This seems like a risky change, so I'm not sure it's a great idea, but it got things working.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,470 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Evileyes said:
    I don't know what's going on with this 2080 ti but my system reboots under any amount of GPU stress, I have a beast 1100W PSU... so im at a loss as to what the problem is... what a shame. Tonight im going to remove the overclock on my cpu if that could free up some power... however, 1100W should be enough for both...  What a bummer.

I had crashes and lockups with my 2080 Ti too. There were two things I did that seemed to fix it. One, I downloaded the MSI Afterburner Beta and set a good custom fan profile (50% at 30C up to 100% at 70C) which stopped the overheating. Then following a Reddit thread, I switched my PSU into single rail mode. It seems that Corsair digital PSUs have some issue by default, but single rail mode helps. Not sure I totally understand the problem, but after I did these two things I stopped getting game crashing. However, Windows sleep in now unreliable and most of the time it does not wake up. I'm not sure if that is related to changed PSU settings, there was no problem previously with my GTX 1080 and same PSU.

How about performance in VR games, have you had time to test the 2080 Ti (SLI?) thoroughly? Would be great to read about your experiences, especially because I'm also using a 1080, thanks!
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    I’m not playing this game, I’m going to return this. Which 2080 ti is the best one on the market? 

I was was reading the nvidia forum and it’s a complete shit show, for this kind of money I want something solid. So does one brand stand above the rest?
    Evileyes said:
    I’m not playing this game, I’m going to return this. Which 2080 ti is the best one on the market? 

I was was reading the nvidia forum and it’s a complete shit show, for this kind of money I want something solid. So does one brand stand above the rest?

This is probably King of the Hill:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-A11G-GAMING/

Asus is known for the highest quality, like: 

TechPowerUp has tested many different 2080 Ti cards, Asus Strix was the only card to receive a 95% score:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_Strix_OC/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I would wait a little bit longer, most if not all cards are still based on the same reference design PCB layout from Nvidia, custom ones should drop soon ...
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Trinity
    I would wait a little bit longer, most if not all cards are still based on the same reference design PCB layout from Nvidia, custom ones should drop soon ...
    Is there a benefit with custom layouts? better performance or?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    My MSI tri TI has now been delayed until early November, problems with them I wonder ???
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Evileyes said:
    Is there a benefit with custom layouts? better performance or?
    Usually, better thermals, as they can have proper custom made cooling, better grade components and better power delivery as they use their own PCB design, for example, the Kingpin series of cards have completely custom power delivery to squeeze out every bit of performance out.

Custom PCB design boards usually lead to better overclocking and stability in my experience.

Reference design boards are all almost identical in performance (providing the cooling is half decent for a sustained boost clock)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

I have seen reports that the VirtualLink on the RTX cards already works :|

With a dongle like this:

Insignia - USB Type-C to HDMI Multiport Adapter with Power Delivery - White - Angle_Zoom

• danybonindanybonin Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    i upgraded my titan x pascal to a rtx 2080 ti. So far, im pleased with the performance. I play on a 27pguq at 4k HDR gsync  144hz (but using 120hz for non hdr 8bit color and 98hz for hdr 10bit color).Works great.

In VR, i only tested lone echo yesterday and it was garbage. Not sure if its because of the 1.31 update or nvidia drivers.
    Was running great before.
    core i7 5930k @ 4.4ghz
    nvidia rtx 2080 ti
    16GB ram
    asus pg27uq
    oculus cv1 4 sensors on usb3 on 5 distinct usb controller
    edited October 2018
    Nice review here in sims - 1080 Ti vs. 2080 Ti using Oculus Rift, and the 2080 Ti won big time - as it should:

So at least the EVGA card worked fine in his setup. 

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,716 Valuable Player

With a dongle like this:

Insignia - USB Type-C to HDMI Multiport Adapter with Power Delivery - White - Angle_Zoom
    Interesting, I may have to give this a go when I get my new EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3.
    If it does that would be awesome.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player

With a dongle like this:

Where can I buy this?
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited October 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    Nice review here in sims - 1080 Ti vs. 2080 Ti using Oculus Rift, and the 2080 Ti won big time - as it should:

So at least the EVGA card worked fine in his setup. 
    Good post. 
    I tested Project Cars 2. I saw some nice gains. Still tweaking it. 

I solved my massive problems in SteamVR by setting the processor affinity for Oculus processes to use my last 4 cores. That fixed a lot of issues. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,670 Valuable Player
    Have to say the Geforce 2080Ti looks impressive running those sims at a constant 90 fps on max settings. I still can't afford one though Nvidia you greedy gits..
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Some 2070 benchmarks coming out =

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 340
    Trinity
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-chief-scientist-michael-abrash-future-ar-vr-technology-oculus-connect-5/amp/
    Revisiting each area of technology in turn, Abrash began by discussing optics and displays. His predictions for headset capabilities in the year 2021 were 4K × 4K resolution per-eye, a 140 degree field of view, and variable depth of focus.

Abrash highlighted the rapidly progressing area of research around varifocal displays, saying that they had made “significant progress in solving the problem” with the AI-driven renderer DeepFocus that can achieve “natural, gaze-contingent blur in real time,” and that they would be publishing their findings in the coming months.

Trinity
    Anyone know of a place that has some quality RTX 2080 Ti's in stock or should I wait for the new design?
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 340
    Trinity
    Amazon Canada has two Zotac 2080 ti left

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,670 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Assassin's Creed odyssey only 38 fps on a Geforce 2080Ti in 4k? I thought the Geoforce 2080ti would always get you a minimum of 60 fps in all games at 4k tbh..

Edit: I've just seen the other benchmarks from @Techy111 Youtube video and other 4k games are coming in at under 60 fps in 4k?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-chief-scientist-michael-abrash-future-ar-vr-technology-oculus-connect-5/amp/
    Revisiting each area of technology in turn, Abrash began by discussing optics and displays. His predictions for headset capabilities in the year 2021 were 4K × 4K resolution per-eye, a 140 degree field of view, and variable depth of focus.

Abrash highlighted the rapidly progressing area of research around varifocal displays, saying that they had made “significant progress in solving the problem” with the AI-driven renderer DeepFocus that can achieve “natural, gaze-contingent blur in real time,” and that they would be publishing their findings in the coming months.

really interesting read. This is where i think oculus are leagues ahead of companies like pimax.  pimax just take existing tech and expand on it, where are oculus are looking to revolutionise everything.  (this is not a dig at pimax, feel free to disagree, it is just my observation)

that said, i hope his timeline is not him talking about CV2!  in my view that is far to long to wait for it..... remember oculus themselves said that if you consider console generations to be every 5 years and phone generations to be every 1 year, they saw VR generations to be somewhere in the middle.

So i do hope oculus bring out an interim product in the next 12-18 months.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,716 Valuable Player

really interesting read. This is where i think oculus are leagues ahead of companies like pimax.  pimax just take existing tech and expand on it, where are oculus are looking to revolutionise everything.  (this is not a dig at pimax, feel free to disagree, it is just my observation)

that said, i hope his timeline is not him talking about CV2!  in my view that is far to long to wait for it..... remember oculus themselves said that if you consider console generations to be every 5 years and phone generations to be every 1 year, they saw VR generations to be somewhere in the middle.

So i do hope oculus bring out an interim product in the next 12-18 months.

Based on what little I heard at OC5, I would highly doubt that happening.
    But we will see I guess eventually.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    RedRizla said:
    Assassin's Creed odyssey only 38 fps on a Geforce 2080Ti in 4k? I thought the Geoforce 2080ti would always get you a minimum of 60 fps in all games at 4k tbh..

Edit: I've just seen the other benchmarks from @Techy111 Youtube video and other 4k games are coming in at under 60 fps in 4k?
    Skip to 7:30 in video for the sbs comparison. You have to remember that running games in 4K is killer for any GPU especially at Max settings. Then there are some games like Odyssey here which have high CPU requirements and are perhaps poorly optimized.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Very comprehensive review. To sump it up the 2080 ti will give you about 30% fps boost. If a game runs well, you'll be able to bump up the supersampling and still have it run well. If a game runs poorly it will probably run well. 

It's really not worth $1300 if you already have a 1080 ti. I only regret it because it is a lot of money. But I do enjoy the added power that makes a lot of games look better. Arizona Sunshine now looks spectacular while running smoothly. 
    MowTin said:s 
    Very comprehensive review. To sump it up the 2080 ti will give you about 30% fps boost. If a game runs well, you'll be able to bump up the supersampling and still have it run well. If a game runs poorly it will probably run well. 

It's really not worth $1300 if you already have a 1080 ti. I only regret it because it is a lot of money. But I do enjoy the added power that makes a lot of games look better. Arizona Sunshine now looks spectacular while running smoothly. 

Also the let's say 30 % extra performance may lift you from 45 fps ASW to a solid 90 fps in many games, especially compared to 1080 Ti. And Arizona Sunshine simply looks spectacular using super sampling 2.0.

• AverageMarioAverageMario Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I don't really think RTX2080Ti is worth buying at the moment. Indeed, it raises performance quite a bit but maybe it's better to wait until the price drops.
    edited October 2018
    The results with Assassins Creed Odyssey are quite strange - but have been reproduced several times:

At least the cpu can handle 80 fps (the cpu can probably go higher, but the video cards can't ;-) 2080 Ti is 14% faster than 1080 Ti. Let's crank up the res:

In 4K Ultra it's the same - 2080 Ti is 15% faster than 1080 Ti. So 1080 Ti isn't much slower than 2080 Ti - which is strange, guess 1080 Ti owners don't need to upgrade gpu for this game. 

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Assassins_Creed_Odyssey/

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    dburne said:

With a dongle like this:

Interesting, I may have to give this a go when I get my new EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3.
    If it does that would be awesome.
    I plugged my 3 sensors and headset usb into a none active usb 3 hub. And it just works.
    2080 FE.
    Absolutely cracking!
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.