Xdevil12
Explorer
hello.
I have a new laptop from yesterday MSI gp73 leopart 8RE
I7 8750H
16 gb ddr 4 
gtx 1060 
NVME drive.

I use a Rift on my desktop with no problems , now on the laptop it stutters like hell, games are un playable, hands are extreme lagging.
even in the menus of oculus home and steam VR is lagging.
is this because the laptop is not good for this or is it something els  ?
allready tryt new and older gpu drivers.
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there.
You should check that VR does use the NVidia GPU instead of the integrated graphics card. Don't trust the laptop for doing it by itself! It should do so, but it doesn't (that's Optimus for you ^^').

The first test I would advise is this: go in the Nvidia Control Panel, and change the "Preferred graphics processor" option to "Nvidia GPU". (something like that)
Then try the Rift again. It should be smooth.

Your specs seem fine to me, but if you have a doubt, run the Oculus compatibility tool ^^.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Thats weird because I have the MSI GT83VR from two years ago and it works just fine.

However with cable extensions for room scale I needed one of these.

COWEEN HDMI Repeater 4K UHD HDMI Female to Female HDMI Amplifier 40' HDMI Extender U... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GHL72XS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_uAiWBbXM5Y4T4
WAAAGH!

Xdevil12
Explorer
the tool says im good for recommended settings, ans the laptop is useing the 1060 GPU
And morgum i dont use extensions its connected directly to the laptop.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you change the preferred graphics processor? And it still stutters? That's weird...
Check the Task Monitor while running a VR app. Can you confirm nothing shows "100% usage"? if any component is full, it may be a bottleneck (it's most likely not the issue, but let's check just in case ^^).
Also, run the Rift configuration again (no need to uninstall the software, just press the "configure Rift" button in the device tab of the desktop app).
Make sure your laptop is plugged in as well (the battery won't be enough for VR).

If none of this works, I'd suggest asking for Oculus Support.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Another annoying thing that can cause issues is msi afterburner, ensure that is disabled. Long shot but worth at try?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Xdevil12
Explorer
wel i just  instald the newest Nvidia drivers 416 or something and now it works fine .

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Good to hear mate!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Awesome!
WAAAGH!