cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home 1 or Home 2 or Both ?

OK then, as per the title, I'm surprised this poll hasn't been created already really... rather then half a dozen threads being created about the exact same subject! anyway rather than have a little rant about creating a thread rather then adding a comment to an existing tread, I thought a poll would yield more meaningful insights 🙂

Soooooo…….

51 REPLIES 51

Is user choice defined as individual choice... or majority choice?

Democracy survives based on the former expressed through the latter.

I really like the idea of being able to create your own Home though @kojack, not just objects to go in it, maybe that'll be a feature for a future update??

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I like what I see, works ok and that's enough for me at the mo
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Always leave the choice.
Now to be clear, I'm talking about the choice of Home. Keep the new Core, keep Dash, but leave the choice of the default application. I think SteamVR does that. You can launch any app that you want as the default app, so if you had several Home apps, you could choose which one you want. Maybe Oculus should include that option? It wouldn't need a major change in the Core, just a small new feature to choose what is launched when putting the headset on.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Always leave the choice.

You can't always leave the choice because you then have to actively support all the choices. That costs time, money, and other resources. People are not just asking that for an Application in this request, they are asking that Oculus actively support that application every month, year after year.

Netheri
Rising Star
I choose option (if there were): Keep Core 2.0 same time user has native option to choose, whether he/she wants anything loaded automagically when HMD is put on head, while still, the always in background Core 2.0 let's the screens to be lit up with any supported format application. As for Home 1 or 2, it's all the same for me if i can choose when i want to visit them or not. 
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Zenbane: Most other softwares do leave the choice. There is no reason for Oculus not being able to do so. And no, it wouldn't cost them anything to leave the previous Core, given that they had already done the work for it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Zenbane: Most other softwares do leave the choice. There is no reason for Oculus not being able to do so. And no, it wouldn't cost them anything to leave the previous Core, given that they had already done the work for it.

I disagree. Most Software Platforms deprecate older versions over time. The Windows and Mac OS are prime examples. Oculus allowed Home 1.0 to exist for some time before phasing it out. If Oculus decides to support both 1.0 and 2.0 then it is possible "if" they decide to commit resources to that effort. Since this is a Platform, not just an Application, Oculus would need to make sure that each 2.0 update doesn't negatively impact the 1.0 users. In order to make that assurance, they would need to go through test cases with each 2.0 update, which requires resources.
In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to do this since users do in fact have a choice today: use the companion Desktop App.
If someone doesn't like 2.0 then don't put the Rift on until the desired experience has been launched via the Desktop. That's your choice today, and it seems a valid choice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We don't know if that's technically possible or not though. Something must have changed between 1.30 and 1.31 otherwise they would have left that option there I would have thought.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Always leave the choice.
Now to be clear, I'm talking about the choice of Home. Keep the new Core, keep Dash, but leave the choice of the default application. I think SteamVR does that. You can launch any app that you want as the default app, so if you had several Home apps, you could choose which one you want. Maybe Oculus should include that option? It wouldn't need a major change in the Core, just a small new feature to choose what is launched when putting the headset on.

Exactly - I'm sure Oculus has the statistics concerning how many use Home 1.0 vs. 2.0, could be interesting to know, but we probably never will 😉
Still - right now with only 23 votes - 38 % of the voters want a solution including classic Home, while 47 % want the current solution (only Home 2.0).  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary
I vote for home 1 until they fix the performance hit of 2. It's affecting every game I play. It's better than the beta but I'm getting stutters I never got in 1 and had to lower super sampling settings that I've had since day 1 which really really sucks. I want performance increases not decreases.