cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lists of killer apps and games by user ratings - for the Rift hmds and Quest 1 & 2 with Link

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

To get an overview, here're lists of the highest rated games and apps for the Oculus Rift hmds and for Quest 1 & 2 with (Air)Link. If you're new to PC-VR, maybe these lists can be of inspiration - and maybe even old-timers can find stuff they've overlooked...  

To be included at least 40 users must have rated a game or an app, and the average user rating must be at least 4.5 stars out of 5 (= 90 % or better) - based on user ratings in the Oculus Rift Store (Steam games or apps are not included). Maybe we could call these lists for grade "A" games and apps - or simply current Rift killer games and apps  😉

And why the need for 40 user ratings? In the Oculus Rift Store there are many games and apps receiving high ratings, but to provide sound statistics it's not enough with just 3 user ratings - or 10 - or even 20. I've chosen 40 because it's close to the minimum number of individuals I'd want in a group, if I was trying to get some robust statistics after collecting answers to a questionnaire (for a medical trial and similar investigations). I've provided the current number of user ratings for each game or app, so if some readers only trust average ratings based on 100, 500 or even 1,000 user ratings, the lists will accommodate for such preferences. 

Note that these lists are not influenced by my preferences - I'm just the guy counting user ratings and associated average ratings  o:)
Also note that new awesome games or apps may not yet be on the lists due to an insufficient number of user ratings. 

Highest rated Rift games:

1920x1080_Key_art_FPG_logo.JPG

98% average rating
The Room VR: A Dark Matter (379 ratings)
Altdeus: Beyond Chronos (71 ratings)
Red Matter 2 (56 ratings)

96% average rating
Beat Saber (15344 ratings)
Moss (949 ratings)
Golf+ (289 ratings)
Walkabout Mini Golf (187 ratings)
Merry Snowballs (44 ratings) - removed from the Store (Feb 2020)

94% average rating
Robo Recall (11352 ratings)
Lone Echo (5283 ratings)
I Expect You to Die (1273 ratings)
Brass Tactics (764 ratings)
Trover Saves the Universe (303 ratings)
Until You Fall (198 ratings)
Airtone (99 ratings) - removed from the Store (maybe Jan 2021), still available on Steam
Jet Islands (78 ratings)
Hyper Dash (46 ratings)

92% average rating
Gorilla Tag (1101 ratings)
Eleven: Table Tennis VR (910 ratings)
Blaze Rush (780 ratings)
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted (778 ratings)
Space Pirate Trainer (726 ratings)
Vox Machinae (390 ratings)
Vacation Simulator (383 ratings)
Final Assault (273 ratings)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (233 ratings)
The Invisible Hours (228 ratings)
Bending the Light (174 ratings)
Racket: Nx (113 ratings)
Virtual Virtual Reality (114 ratings)
Synth Riders (115 ratings)
The Under Presents (58 ratings)
Crisis VRigade (55 ratings)
Mini Motor Racing X (49 ratings)
Down the Rabbit Hole (49 ratings)

90% average rating
Vader Immortal (5609 ratings)
Superhot VR (3690 ratings)
Asgard's Wrath (3585 ratings)
Blade & Sorcery (3913 ratings)
Elite Dangerous (2566 ratings)
Stormland (1946 ratings)
Job Simulator (1489 ratings)
Boneworks (1344 ratings)
Gorn (928 ratings)
In Death (726 ratings)
Pistol Whip (709 ratings)
The Thrill of the Fight (620 ratings)
Brass Tactics: Arena (481 ratings)
Windlands (388 ratings)
Audica (368 ratings)
Racket Fury (346 ratings)
Red Matter (315 ratings)
Witchblood (265 ratings)
A Fisherman's Tale (224 ratings)
Raccoon Lagoon (217 ratings)
Form (206 ratings)
Thumper (196 ratings)
Journey of the Gods (134 ratings)
Shadow Point (117 ratings)
Catan VR (95 ratings)
Half + Half (80 ratings)
The Gallery - Episode 2: Heart of the Emberstone (79 ratings)
The Eastern Edge (75 ratings)
Gravity Labs - Gravitational Testing Facility & Observations (66 ratings)
Shooty Fruity (65 ratings)
Audio Trip (44 ratings)

Highest rated Rift apps:

24785034_733908263470504_625824729482437017_o.jpg

96% average rating
Wolves in the Walls (1147 ratings)
Art Plunge (85 ratings)
Get Lost in Nature with Luke (60 ratings)
Where Thoughts Go (44 ratings) 

94% average rating
First Contact (1684 ratings)
Crow: The Legend (891 ratings)
Show It 2 Me (203 ratings)
Electronauts (104 ratings) - removed from the Store, still available on Steam
Sky VR: Hold the World (83 ratings)
Jig Space (57 ratings)
Arden's Wake (43 ratings)

92% average rating
Aircar- 92 % (2455 ratings)
1943 Berlin Blitz (1032 ratings)
Allumette (870 ratings)
Dear Angelica (882 ratings)
Fantasynth (568 ratings)
Dance Central (350 ratings)
Sensor Bounds (223 ratings)
Apollo 11 VR HD (209 ratings) - removed from searches in the Store, still available on Steam 
Wonderful You (155 ratings)
The Bond (133 ratings)
Beach Body Bros (117 ratings)
Nanome (40 ratings)

90% average rating
Google Earth VR (8776 ratings)
Henry (1178 ratings)
Wrench: Engine Building Demo (330 ratings)
Sharecare VR (300 ratings) - removed and replaced by a new and updated app
Tilt Brush (268 ratings)
Spice & Wolf VR (65 ratings)
Chroma Lab (42 ratings)

BTW, to make these lists I selected the Oculus Store category containing all games and apps, organized the items according to user ratings (highest ratings first) and then - one by one - checked the number of ratings and the average score. 

Finally we could also check which game or app (with an average user rating of at least 90 %) has the most votes in total - and the winner in each category is:

Rift game with the most ratings

beat-saber-header1.jpg

Rift app with the most ratings

Google-Earth-VR.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

178 REPLIES 178

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
o6uqj0x0wt9o.jpg

In case some haven't noticed, yesterday "In Death" reached v. 1.0 - for those who don't like Early Access, maybe now is the time to try one of the best VR games - rated 90 % based on more than 300 ratings:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1659250310762797/

https://youtu.be/3nxs4rC-JYo

"The Sólfar team is incredibly excited to announce that In Death is leaving Early Access on Tuesday October 2nd. Its been an amazing journey with those of you who chose to support our efforts to perfect this game after we first went to Early Access last February. We’ve been hard at work adding new content and balancing our full release based on the frankly incredible hours our players have logged in game over the past few months.

On October 2nd, we will formally leave Early Access and deliver the new chapter, Paradise Lost that we teased a couple of weeks back at Gamescom. The all new Crossbow is ready and waiting for your shooting pleasure in your Sanctuary, and we hope you enjoy close quarters combat with it as much as we have. The scoring system in Challenges, our async multiplayer mode, has been tweaked and balanced with the great feedback you’ve given us, resulting in what he hope is a fair shot for all play styles to reach the pinnacle of the Ladder. And In Paradise Lost, you’ll encounter a fresh host of angelic and demonic antagonists, culminating in an epic boss fight with Gabriel the Fallen.

We also want to let you know that at Full Release on October 2, the retail price of In Death will increase from $19.99 to $29.99.  If  you’ve already purchased the game during Early Access, you will of course receive all of the new content at no additional charge. This does mean that if you’ve been thinking about jumping into In Death’s dream kingdom but haven’t crossed over yet, now would be a good moment to do so. And if you have friends that might like to get in on our game at the Early Access price, they can do so until October 2nd."

http://www.solfar.com/new-blog-avenue/

Solfar is a company dedicated to make only VR games - so it's possible to earn a living by only making VR games 😉

For now it's probably the only VR game to support Nvidia RTX: "Thanks to using NVIDIA’s Variable Rate Shading technology, the team were able to realize immediate performance measured in milliseconds of 25% better framerate when comparing the game running on Turing and with Variable Rate Shading turned on in comparison to running it without the technology, all without any noticeable loss of visual fidelity. Thanks to all this, In Deathis able to utilize super sampling to run at a much higher Pixel Density within the Unreal Engine than was previously possible on current generation GPUs.

All of these performance improvements mean the development team will have further room to expand the title with more complex post processing effects and particles, leading to a much richer visual experience. All of this is planned to be made accessible in a Game Ready driver which will release for the GeForce Experience when the title leaves Early Access in tandem with consumer availability of the new GeForce RTX 20 Series GPUs."

Source: https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/08/solfar-studios-showcase-new-chapter-for-in-death-along-with-geforce-rtx-20-support/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I keep on meaning to give In Death a go but haven't got around to it yet. I'll probably have to wait until my leg is fully healed up before I give it a go though because I imagine I'll need to turn pretty quickly to dispatch enemies.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
A new app has received awesome ratings - and it's completely free!

Right now the average rating is 92% based on 90 ratings:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/2178820058825941/

https://youtu.be/hdIlSV3SqY0

I especially enjoyed reading these reviews in the Oculus Store:

A powerful way to learn about history
Outstanding work, the interior detail of the Lancaster is superb and on par with payware flight sims. Immersive, in that you can see the recorder spinning behind the radio operator, as you are there among the crew and listen to the actual intercom audio and narration that was made on it 75 years ago. A must see...can you imagine reporters being allowed as crew on bombing missions today?

Crying
Sat here in the comfort of my home that these men and women secured by their heroic actions and I am crying. What a scary event for these men. I'm so glad this experience was made. (And so glad I saw it virtually, rather than in real life) More people should experience this and other such documentaries. Thank you for making this. I will be sharing this with visitors.

Brilliant, Emotional, Educational
I thought this experience was absolutely amazing. There you are inside a WWII era Lancaster Bomber, listening to an accompanying reporter recording his descriptions of the events unfolding live as the journey continues... this is a REAL recording from historical archives, and yet you can see him sat there in the airplane at the same time. This may be a VR reproduction, but this is a snapshot of a real moment and every person aboard this plane were real human beings doing heroic work. It felt like I was a ghost, gone back in history to look over the shoulders of these men as the event unfolded - amazing! I was so transported into the experience I had to suppress almost-true panic as the flak shells began exploding and a nearby friendly was shot down. I was so happy to return to friendly shores, and very moved to hear the co-pilot sing a tune. I've read, studied, and thought often about the world wars over the years... this is one of the times I've felt most viscerally connected to the experience and my education and respect has increased in kind. Bravo BBC - I would love for you to continue producing VR experiences like this!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Bend the Light finally reached 40 ratings and now has a 90 % average rating - and the game's on sale for just 50 % of the normal price (just $7.5 now) - get it here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/703660393091961/

https://youtu.be/Vp2dRhle7iI

Also the interesting 30 minutes movie (app) experience The Great C - which works perfectly using super sampling 2.0 on a GTX 1080 - reached an average 90 % user rating (based on 47 ratings) - get it here for just $ 6:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1620367211417812/

https://youtu.be/k7nKSFp6dVE

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Bend the Light finally reached 40 ratings and now has a 90 % average rating - and the game's on sale for just 50 % of the normal price (just $7.5 now) - get it here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/703660393091961/

https://youtu.be/Vp2dRhle7iI

For those of you who haven't tried Bend the Light, maybe I should share some reviews - the game was *much* better than I anticipated from the rather boring trailer:

My review: 

A must-have for the Rift!
I've known about this game for long, but I never considered buying it - maybe it looked too simple, but I was so wrong. The quality of this game is truly magnificent, on my GTX 1080 the game runs flawlessly at 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 and highest in-game setting. And it's a beautiful game with great attention to textures and details, and the game will probably perform perfectly even on low-end rigs. The game does require some cognitive skills, and some levels are difficult to complete, but it's great fun. Both kids and adults can learn about physics - and solves fun riddles - in this superb game. Congrats to the devs for making such an original, creative and astonishing game! It's an experience best enjoyed sitting and Touch support is perfectly implemented. Actually I can't find anything wrong with this game! 🙂

And some other reviews:

Surprised me.
This is a perfect example of a game being much better in virtual reality than it's 2D trailer might suggest, to me at least. It's an excellent puzzle game with intuitive controls and high quality visuals that really comes to life in VR.

Excellent puzzle Outstanding graphics
At first I thought "what the heck do I do?" With a little patience started to quickly progress and was very satisfying. Great example of very detailed 3d geometry with sharp and clean graphics. This raises the bar for all developers!

Masterpiece
Wow. This puzzle game blew me away. If you've been browsing reviews you may have stumbled upon a 2 star review where the player says there's not a lot of content and some of the puzzles can be cheated. The developer's response is on point. Without giving anything away here let me just say that there is more to this game that meats the eye. I just achieved 100% completion and I feel very acomplished, satified and overjoyed with this title. Would definitely buy a VR title from these guys again! One disclaimer i should mention is that if you do want to go for the 100% completion you will need some space. I don't think it's possible to do everything sitting down. Well done, developers! A+

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

A new app has received awesome ratings - and it's completely free!

Right now the average rating is 92% based on 90 ratings:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/2178820058825941/

https://youtu.be/hdIlSV3SqY0

I especially enjoyed reading these reviews in the Oculus Store:

A powerful way to learn about history
Outstanding work, the interior detail of the Lancaster is superb and on par with payware flight sims. Immersive, in that you can see the recorder spinning behind the radio operator, as you are there among the crew and listen to the actual intercom audio and narration that was made on it 75 years ago. A must see...can you imagine reporters being allowed as crew on bombing missions today?

Crying
Sat here in the comfort of my home that these men and women secured by their heroic actions and I am crying. What a scary event for these men. I'm so glad this experience was made. (And so glad I saw it virtually, rather than in real life) More people should experience this and other such documentaries. Thank you for making this. I will be sharing this with visitors.

Brilliant, Emotional, Educational
I thought this experience was absolutely amazing. There you are inside a WWII era Lancaster Bomber, listening to an accompanying reporter recording his descriptions of the events unfolding live as the journey continues... this is a REAL recording from historical archives, and yet you can see him sat there in the airplane at the same time. This may be a VR reproduction, but this is a snapshot of a real moment and every person aboard this plane were real human beings doing heroic work. It felt like I was a ghost, gone back in history to look over the shoulders of these men as the event unfolded - amazing! I was so transported into the experience I had to suppress almost-true panic as the flak shells began exploding and a nearby friendly was shot down. I was so happy to return to friendly shores, and very moved to hear the co-pilot sing a tune. I've read, studied, and thought often about the world wars over the years... this is one of the times I've felt most viscerally connected to the experience and my education and respect has increased in kind. Bravo BBC - I would love for you to continue producing VR experiences like this!

Would love to see this, but the Oculus Home version and Steam version just won't load for me, it just remains on the loading screen. I've had no problems with any other game or app apart from this one..

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Would love to see this, but the Oculus Home version and Steam version just won't load for me, it just remains on the loading screen. I've had no problems with any other game or app apart from this one..

That's strange - I'm using the trusty old Forceware 391.35 (didn't observe performance increase using newer drivers, and it works perfectly with Doom VFR and FallOut 4, never had any glitches), but of course your problem may not be caused by the video driver. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - Doom VFR and Fallout 4 work for me, but this 1943 Berlin Blitz, is the one that just remains on the loading screen. I posted about it and it seems one other guy has the same problem. I see the first part where it loads the pic of the pilot and then it just continues loading and doing nothing else, it's just stuck on that loading screen. Same for both Oculus and Steam version. I did notice if I press my space bar I start to hear sound though..

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Doom VFR and Fallout 4 work for me, but this 1943 Berlin Blitz, is the one that just remains on the loading screen. I posted about it and it seems one other guy has the same problem. I see the first part where it loads the pic of the pilot and then it just continues loading and doing nothing else, it's just stuck on that loading screen. Same for both Oculus and Steam version. I did notice if I press my space bar I start to hear sound though..

The official website doesn't seem to.provide any contact information. If Steam Discussion isn't read by the devs, maybe this gateway can help you contact the devs? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/

Personally I didn't have problems running the app using the 1.31 update and forcing super sampling 2.0.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
At the risk of sounding nitpicky,
I have a lot of the titles listed, and while many of them are fun as hell and highly memorable (e.g. Xing), I wouldn't call most of those "Killer Apps." We are still about 2 years away from being in a position to see the 3-5 year Killer App development cycle yields rewards. Most of the titles listed in this thread are simply "popular," but are far from a Killer App.
Lone Echo is definitely a Killer App, and I would rank Chronos up there as well. But VR Killer Apps are few and far between.
Take "Heart of the Emberstone" as an example. It has a high rating but I've beaten Episode 1 and Episode 2. They feel like Early Access Beta games, not a fully developed final product.