cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skyrim VR now supports Ambient Occlusion and Simple global illumination via ENB

LZoltowski
Champion
So this happened, Ambient Occlusion in VR in Skyrim VR via the ENB injector! ... the difference in visual quality is astounding, so much extra detail.

Working on a custom profile, I like my colours a little bit warmer, also making a proper sunset and sunrise cycle. You can tell when it's on and when it's off 🙂

https://youtu.be/NOkR-SePOh0

fnr4uiglsay1.jpg7fqygj33ov81.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

MowTin said:

Skyrim's engine runs really really well in VR. If I were Oculus, I would commission more open world games using that engine. They don't have to be as massive as Skyrim. 

Bethesda aren't using that version of the engine any more and even if they were it's highly unlikely that Zenimax would give the go ahead to such a project.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
For some reason, it slowed down my movement speed. I walk so slowly now. 

I couldn't see the AO. It was a little confusing. So many parameters. I tried to uncheck everything but "EnableAmbientOclusion." I saved and clicked <<<apply .. >>>but couldn't see the difference. Maybe I did something wrong.

How do I remove it? Do I have to delete the files I added?
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Luciferous
Consultant
Yeah same here it is quite confusing (my walking was Ok though). Although I worked out you have to tick the use effect in the global section to activate it. I think.

I turned everything else off but AO but struggled to see any real improvement. For example inside was very bright, probably too bright and outside was just very gloomy. I went into some caves and that looked pretty good.

So at the moment not really seeing any big improvements. Probably doing something wrong though and did not read the manual. Most options, when ticked I could  not see any visible change at all.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
@LZoltowski 

Have you created that custom profile yet? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

nrosko
Superstar
Seems there is now a new mod manager called vortex. Is it straightforward to convert to this? 

TaintFist
Heroic Explorer
@nrosko 
Vortex is very user friendly, fairly easy to get into and has a few good video guides to use (I linked a series of them by Gopher)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9xKao_u30&vl=en

It is just freshly out of alpha, and now in beta, so I would expect there would still be a bug or two to be found.  I used it extensively through the alpha, but I stopped using it when I encountered an odd bug that wouldn't allow me to install any downloads over 250Mb hehe (which was later fixed).

I actually returned to Mod Organizer 2 when I encountered that bug.  The positives are immense for using MO2, but it is not as easy to get into, there is certainly a learning curve, but if you put in the effort to learn it, it pays off big.

So really depending on how deep into modding you plan to go, I would recommend one or the other:

MO2 is more complex, but has a lot more features to offer, and allows you tools and micro-managements of mods and files that you can't get anywhere else, at least not yet.  Also, the virtual folder is a huge boon, since it keeps your game data folders "clean" so if you reinstall a game, the process is much faster and easier in the end.  The virtual folder also makes testing and switching in/out mods easier, as it leaves a smaller, "footprint," on the game.

Vortex is super easy to use, has a few more complex features that are quick and easy to learn (again Gopher does a great job explaining these things), and is much more user friendly.  If you only plan on using a few mods (1 to 150) this is a good way to go.  The interface is very nice, and since it is made by the people on the Nexus, it is very nicely integrated into the Nexus site.

EDIT: Almost forgot, if you are currently using NMM, Vortex has an import feature to import your mods from NMM to Vortex.  From what I understand this feature is quick and easy, but I've never used it personally.