Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yes, it can be had very cheap in the Steam sales - don't know how much or if it gets reduced in Home sales. I would buy the full version as well - which is Elite plus the Horizons DLC, which is not vital but you will wish you'd bought it if you don't. I think it's called the Commander's Pack all together.

I think there is a new paid add-on coming next year, so Black Friday or Christmas sales would be a good time to take the plunge.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, and if you get it on Steam they give you an Oculus Home key too via their website too so you don't have to fuck around with crappy SteamVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
And here's a first video showing what's coming in the next update, this one shows exploration and the Codex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtmmmP_waf4&feature=youtu.be

Chazmeister
Rising Star

Digikid1 said:

Hmm....believe it or not this is the first I've heard of this game.  Might have to check it out if there is a demo or something like that.

*Looks up price on Oculus Store...*

$69.99CDN!?!?!?!!?

Nope! 😐 😐 😐

When the new Q4 Beyond update comes out, I can almost guarantee that it'll be on sale. It's been on sales loads of times already now and often gets reduced down to about £20 for the main game and Horizons update. You don't need to buy it on the Oculus store or even Steam, to play it in VR.

RattyUK
Trustee
@Digikid1  - Great VR game, about the only one I use SS with 🙂
For a game that has no direction (you choose what you wish to do) and no perceivable end it is surprisingly engrossing and the role of Explorer is about to get a massive boost (although there is enough dissent from others to the changes - I am expressing a personal view) to its mechanics.

This game dragged me away from SkyrimVR & Fallout 4VR, terrible game!
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, I quite like the look of the updates to Exploration too. I can't wait to see what they're doing with Mining too.

RattyUK
Trustee
Currently on my way to Ratraii (where else would a rat go?) ready to leave the explorca somewhere cosy when the beta begins 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've set myself the goal of unlocking all the Guardian hardware. I didn't have enough module and weapon blueprints after doing the rounds with Chaz - so while he's otherwise engaged, I've gone back to get more. Need 3 and 7 (!) respectively.

It's not helped by the fact that the newer planet terrain graphics still make me feel a bit pukey when fighting the sentinels. So it's a bit of a chore just now - but I'll get through it, one way or another.

Talking of chores, I can't say I'm looking forward to taking on the Thargs (which is the point of all this) and every video of a Tharg fight I see makes me feel less inclined to stick with it.

RattyUK
Trustee
I collected 2 Guardian module blueprints recently, although am lacking in one of the mats for the FSD Booster (1 short) , not sure what I'd use the other for yet.
I'm not experienced / brave enough to face the Thargs yet so will scurry around doing harmless things for a while, although I ranked up to Novice in combat while shooting the Guardian skimmer type things 🙂 (I got my Exploration Elite a few weeks back)

If you'd like company doing the Guardian sites while Chaz is away PM me and I'll be pleased to tag along (2 guns being better than 1...  which is the pointy end again?)

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well I'm currently at SYNUEFE GT-H B43-1 C 4 which is a module BP site. The pylon layout is very simple and my ship is parked in an excellent spot for giving point defence cover.

146vcvh4g3y7.jpg

I'll be there for a couple of days yet (depending on if you come along to get some BPs, too - then probably get it all done in one sesh 🙂

Then I want to move on to a weapon BP site. I'll look back through my screenshots to see which is best for that - am open to suggestions.

Confirm RattyUK is your commander name, and I'll send a friend request and group invite. Chaz and I use the Mobius Eurasia group, but if you're not a member, I'll invite you to my own group, for simple winging up (open is okay, as long as there are no griefers about).

We can arrange a time etc on pm.

I was going to suggest you coming along with Chaz and myself when we take on the Thargs. After all, you know what they say - misery likes company! 😄