cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Kremer Collection VR Museum - best graphics ever on the Rift?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I'm normally not that much into this kind of art, but I gave it a shot - and I was simply blown away. I never expected that graphics like this was even possible on the Rift, admitted I'm forcing super-sampling 2.0, but still. (Sorry about these Vive trailers, but I couldn't find the Oculus trailer on YouTube.)

Get it here - it's free bucks, you can't even get admission to a real museum for that price 😉

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1944128808953270/

My 5-star review from the Oculus Store:

A must-have for the Oculus Rift!!!
This app probably has the best graphics on the Rift, the paintings are simply out-of-this-world astonishing. Even if you don't care for - or know much about - art, try this app (in the presumably rare case that you don't like it, you can always get a refund). I'm forcing super-sampling 2.0 using Oculus Tray Tool, and not even Lone Echo provides textures like the images shown here. It didn't feel like Virtual Reality - it felt like reality. The graphics are so life-like that I'm not sure seeing the real paintings would provide a significantly better experience than using the this app. In short - I'm totally blown away by the quality of these paintings, it really felt like I was using a headset much better than even the Vive Pro - and I'm not trying to be funny.
Furthermore you get stories told to each painting, so these aren't just paintings, but experiences that come to life. This virtual museum is so much better than most of the art museums I've visited in the real world, and that says a lot. The only annoying thing was teleport movement - I'd suggest that the developers soon support full locomotion as an option; I'm convinced that most visitors would like to walk around, and not to jump around, in such an amazing museum 😉 Congrats to the developers - you truly deserve it, even the wooden and marble floor textures are incredibly awesome - and my Touch controllers are made of GOLD, who can top that?! 🙂
(Note: Some Steam users complained about having to log in or having to create an account to use this app, this have been completely removed in the Oculus version, thus Oculus users have instant access to everything)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice! I'll have to check this out. Another great art app is The Night Cafe, very clever the way it's put together.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

Nice! I'll have to check this out. Another great art app is The Night Cafe, very clever the way it's put together.

Thanks, I'll check the Van Gogh Night Cafe out soon 🙂 Some also recommended the free app "Dreams of Dali", but most of such museum-like apps haven't gotten great reviews. I guess I'm a texture-holic, so if the textures are truly spectacular that'll be enough for me 😉
Then again, great quality probably never goes out of style and I'd love to improve my knowledge of famous Dutch/European painters o:):smile:
At least I think it's much better for my cognitive development than playing Gorn 😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The devs just published a reply to my review :blush:

"Dear RuneSR2, wow: now THAT is a great review and is going around the office like a fire! Thank you so much and we're so happy you are enjoying the experience so much. We're especially proud of your review about the quality of the resolution as this was our number 1 priority when developing the museum. Nothing will replace a physical viewing experience, but our aim was to develop as close to that as possible, and then to be able to share that with a lot more people than physically possible, as well as start testing the possibilities of richer content storytelling. We have also taken note of your "locomotion" suggestion and will discuss that in our next review meeting. Thank you again! Joel Kremer"

Awesome to get such a reply! 

LZoltowski
Champion
Nice! It's on my list of things to purchase. I love these.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I couldn't help thinking that the app could be further optimized, because I'm getting 45 fps (ASW) in the info/tutorial room when you've just tarted the app. It's just a square room with 4 walls, I should be able to get 90 fps under such circumstances (I got 90 fps ss 2.0 in Mage's Tale in much bigger rooms/caves).

I also get 45 fps ASW looking at the awesome paintings, but it's not a problem at all - the paintings aren't moving, ASW works like a dream, I only notice reprojections looking at my golden Touch controllers and doing some fast movements. furthermore this app is truly about image quality, it really shines using high levels of super-sampling.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
A patch just arrived - it's 1.5 GB and no note about the changes. It's been some weeks since my last visit to the museum, and I could be mistaken, but I think the patch added more paintings. 

It's still the most impressive app to show graphics capabilities on the Rift, because the resolution of the paintings is simply phenomenal - I do use super sampling 2.0 too. (The ultra-detailed textures load when you approach a painting, but it happens so fast you may never notice it - of course this saves video card memory and works perfectly.)

Pictures from VR - nice floor, right? - Looks much better in VR 😉

0nh4ca8gora3.jpg

38haljr1gbw8.jpg

Not even Lone Echo does this: 
w3scr79vh5k7.jpg

- or this:
kehcei654hw7.jpg

Paintings are placed in the periphery of the circle
3wmcfsdkcijv.jpg

saami81
Rising Star
I bought this because of this thread and no regrets. Graphics are stunning. It really is like watching paintings in real life.

I have few paintings on my walls and there is not that much of difference when it comes to seeing details in real life.. My eyesight should be rather good too.

ScouseSeattle
Protege
You might have sold me on this one. Paintings are three dimensional objects, it sounds like the collections developers understand that.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The app is on sale - if you haven't seen this, it's a must-have for Rift owners:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1944128808953270/

Possibly now much better thanks to ASW 2.0! - Do crank up super sampling to the max 😉