cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

oldgamergazza
Expert Protege
This is where I saw the date, oops its the 17th

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Well the lowest SDE i have seen in a VR headset to date in in the PSVR, and it also zero godrays, so i have been expecting the SDE thing to disappear completly from all VR hardware at some point over the next few years, so i am ready as are my aging eyes.

We are almost there, should be fun, can't wait for the next hardware.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
This looks brilliant but I have two questions, so when this comes out, if I buy this HMD can I plug it in, load up Oculus Home and play my current Rift games?

And can I use my Touch Controllers if I don't like the Samsung controllers?

This looks really impressive and could tie us over until Rift CV2 comes out.

Thanks in advance for answers 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

This looks brilliant but I have two questions, so when this comes out, if I buy this HMD can I plug it in, load up Oculus Home and play my current Rift games?

It's a Windows Mixed Reality headset so no go with Oculus Home or Touch controllers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

TomCgcmfc said:

It's a Windows Mixed Reality headset so no go with Oculus Home or Touch controllers.

Oh that sucks, well maybe I could get used to the controllers but if we can't play our games on Oculus Store, what can we play? Just Samsung games?

I thought HMD's are basically a platform like a PC, we should be able to play all games on all HMD's.

Can we not play Steam games either then? And what type of tracking does Samsung use?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

Oh that sucks, well maybe I could get used to the controllers but if we can't play our games on Oculus Store, what can we play? Just Samsung games?

I thought HMD's are basically a platform like a PC, we should be able to play all games on all HMD's.

Can we not play Steam games either then? And what type of tracking does Samsung use?

It's a Windows Mixed Reality headset so it can play anything from the Microsoft store and just about anything from the Steam Store.  Apparently you can also run Oculus games with a WMR headset using a program called Revive but I have never tried this.  Unless you really want to go WMR I would give this a miss.  I started out with WMR but changed to a Rift +6 months ago.  Best thing I ever did.  The Oculus VR system is much more stable and Oculus support beats WMR support anyday imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
You won't even be able to buy it in Europe I bet. You can't get hold of the other Samsung odyssey, so I doubt this one will be released in Europe..

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

You won't even be able to buy it in Europe I bet. You can't get hold of the other Samsung odyssey, so I doubt this one will be released in Europe..

That's strange, I wonder why they did that.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Am I dreaming? Is this real?

People have been saying that we won't reduce the SDE until we get 4K or 8K per eye and foveated rendering. This is huge. 

If I can play Project Cars 2 and IL 2 without the SDE, that's a total game changer. This is huge for those of us who play flight and racing sim in VR. 

Anyway, it sounds too good to be true. I'll wait until I see reviews. 

But this will totally destroy Pi Max sales if it comes out soon. 

Can Oculus copy this with their CV2? The worst case is that you have to choose between the better Oculus software and hardware and the better image quality of the Odyssey+. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

LZoltowski
Champion

MowTin said:

Am I dreaming? Is this real?

People have been saying that we won't reduce the SDE until we get 4K or 8K per eye and foveated rendering. This is huge. 

If I can play Project Cars 2 and IL 2 without the SDE, that's a total game changer. This is huge for those of us who play flight and racing sim in VR. 

Anyway, it sounds too good to be true. I'll wait until I see reviews. 

But this will totally destroy Pi Max sales if it comes out soon. 

Can Oculus copy this with their CV2? The worst case is that you have to choose between the better Oculus software and hardware and the better image quality of the Odyssey+. 

The rift uses Samsung screens already and there is no reason I see why Samsung would not let their partners use this tech.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂