cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it still worth picking up a Rift or should i wait until Quest or Rift 2?

JustVertigo
Explorer
Hi, I'm really looking to get into the VR community and pick up my first system but I'm unsure which one to hold my money for. I have a perfectly optimized gaming pc which could handle VR very well. I'm not too sure whether I should get the Rift now, or wait for a quest or rift 2 as they are fairly far away. I am reluctant with the quest as I know it uses the same processor as phones do and the library of games will take time to build up, but I assume when Rift 2 gets announced at oc6, it will have some sort of untethered ability like the quest, but with more power of the PC. If anyone with good knowledge of these systems or have experienced the quest help me out?
24 REPLIES 24

bigmike20vt
Visionary
rift 2 is going to be a while away yet.  You say you already have a capable PC so i would suggest a proper high end PC VR hmd is the way to go. for me that would be the rift, however if you are feeling flush you could wait till after xmas and get a pimax 5/8k i suppose.

again if it were me i would not consider a vive.... but a vive pro could be worth a look too..... but as i said, the rift would be / was my choice and i never regretted it.

there are also windows HMDs however i know little about them.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd say you should get a Rift now because you have a VR Ready PC. The CV2 won't be released until 2020, some people are even speculating 2022 (but I think that's unlikely myself).

I also wouldn't hold too much hope for the CV2 being wireless either, wireless technology is ALWAYS going to be behind display and optics technologies so will struggle to handle the increased bandwidth needed for wireless VR with a higher resolution and higher FOV.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,
As people above me, I suggest you get a Rift. The CV2 won't be here for a while (the first gen has been released for barely 3 years), but since you already have the most expensive piece for VR (= the powerful PC), you should just go for PC VR.
Quality-wise, the Rift has the best controllers, but the Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey have better screens. I wouldn't even bother to check the Pimax as the tests show it can barely run even with a 1080 Ti and it has a lot of other issues (at least for now).

Personally, I would choose either the Rift or the Samsung Odyssey (the Vive Pro is waaaay too expensive for what it's worth). And as a Rift user, of course I would suggest the Rift a bit more ^^.
That said it seems the Samsung headset is going to have a new version, without any "screendoor effect". It should be released in a few months, so it may be worth waiting for it.

IamRuuts
Explorer
Not even up for debate.  Get it now, so many games you are currently missing out on....pull the trigger, you won't regret it!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
If you want a stable VR system with good support get a Rift.  Stay away from Windows Mixed Reality.  It's buggy and support is very poor imho.  I switched over from a WMR headset (Dell) +6 months ago.  This was the best VR thing I have ever done.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

JustVertigo
Explorer
wow, thanks guys really put confidence into buying the rift. but what're your thoughts on the Oculus quest compared to just buying the rift now?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
The Quest is still 6 months away.  I’ll probably buy one to upgrade my Oculus Go mobile VR.  If you already have a good VR-ready pc the Rift will give you s lot better VR experience imho.  What are your pc specs btw?

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Marc-G
Protege
If you have the money I'd suggest a Vive Pro over a Rift, that's what I would do now whilst waiting for Gen2. But it is pricey so then the choice is Rift CV1 or Vive but right now with the issues surrounding v1.31 update I'd definitely favour the Vive.

JustVertigo
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

The Quest is still 6 months away.  I’ll probably buy one to upgrade my Oculus Go mobile VR.  If you already have a good VR-ready pc the Rift will give you s lot better VR experience imho.  What are your pc specs btw?

I have 8GB Ram, GTX 1070 and Intel i7-7700K at 4.2GHz. You mention having the quest as it should be treated as a separate console to the rift, similar to having a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 or XBO. Is it worth treating them as 2 separate devices that could be worth getting both if purchases crossover, which is a genuine possibility for me as I never thought a picking up both?