cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it still worth picking up a Rift or should i wait until Quest or Rift 2?

JustVertigo
Explorer
Hi, I'm really looking to get into the VR community and pick up my first system but I'm unsure which one to hold my money for. I have a perfectly optimized gaming pc which could handle VR very well. I'm not too sure whether I should get the Rift now, or wait for a quest or rift 2 as they are fairly far away. I am reluctant with the quest as I know it uses the same processor as phones do and the library of games will take time to build up, but I assume when Rift 2 gets announced at oc6, it will have some sort of untethered ability like the quest, but with more power of the PC. If anyone with good knowledge of these systems or have experienced the quest help me out?
24 REPLIES 24

JustVertigo
Explorer

Marc-G said:

If you have the money I'd suggest a Vive Pro over a Rift, that's what I would do now whilst waiting for Gen2. But it is pricey so then the choice is Rift CV1 or Vive but right now with the issues surrounding v1.31 update I'd definitely favour the Vive.

I had a large consider about which company to go down, but I do like Oculus' UI and Core 2.0 more rather than the generic SteamVR. Plus a used but good condition Rift is about £250-300 whereas a used Pro or Vive is around £400-600

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rift is currently very hard to beat.
Been running mine since Jan of 2017, and the thing has been rock solid the whole time.
Touch Controllers along with tracking are fantastic.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

The Quest is still 6 months away.  I’ll probably buy one to upgrade my Oculus Go mobile VR.  If you already have a good VR-ready pc the Rift will give you s lot better VR experience imho.  What are your pc specs btw?

I have 8GB Ram, GTX 1070 and Intel i7-7700K at 4.2GHz. You mention having the quest as it should be treated as a separate console to the rift, similar to having a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 or XBO. Is it worth treating them as 2 separate devices that could be worth getting both if purchases crossover, which is a genuine possibility for me as I never thought a picking up both?

Rift is a perfect match for your system, you won't find anything better. The VR games are truly unmatched on the Rift - this is what you get - only on the Rift:

https://youtu.be/5q6BcQq_yhw

https://youtu.be/fnCmUWqKo6g

Even those videos don't really capture the true awesomeness of the Rift - you simply can't do that in a 2D video. I wouldn't worry about the Quest for now - it's no match for the Rift. Get the Rift - and then you can start to consider upgrading to 16GB ram.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JustVertigo
Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

The Quest is still 6 months away.  I’ll probably buy one to upgrade my Oculus Go mobile VR.  If you already have a good VR-ready pc the Rift will give you s lot better VR experience imho.  What are your pc specs btw?

I have 8GB Ram, GTX 1070 and Intel i7-7700K at 4.2GHz. You mention having the quest as it should be treated as a separate console to the rift, similar to having a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 or XBO. Is it worth treating them as 2 separate devices that could be worth getting both if purchases crossover, which is a genuine possibility for me as I never thought a picking up both?

Rift is a perfect match for your system, you won't find anything better. The VR games are truly unmatched on the Rift - this is what you get - only on the Rift:

https://youtu.be/5q6BcQq_yhw

https://youtu.be/fnCmUWqKo6g

Even those videos don't really capture the true awesomeness of the Rift - you simply can't do that in a 2D video. I wouldn't worry about the Quest for now - it's no match for the Rift. Get the Rift - and then you can start to consider upgrading to 16GB ram.

Yeah definitely looks cool. One more concern though, My VR space for my room is about 2.6m x 1m, whereas my living room is at least triple that. Bringing the PC up and down is a pain but is my room space enough?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Yeah definitely looks cool. One more concern though, My VR space for my room is about 2.6m x 1m, whereas my living room is at least triple that. Bringing the PC up and down is a pain but is my room space enough?

Another advantage of the Rift is that it's designed to work well when using limited play spaces, but 1m is definitely on the slim side. 2.6m will let you stretch your arms just fine. Most games can be played either sitting or standing, and you're not supposed to take long walks in VR. If your play space doesn't work well with Rift, chances are it'll work worse with other high-end HMDs. Note that if you have a bed or couch in the room, and the 1m is plus the furniture - then you have much more space for your arms - just remember not to walk 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Marc-G said:

If you have the money I'd suggest a Vive Pro over a Rift, that's what I would do now whilst waiting for Gen2. But it is pricey so then the choice is Rift CV1 or Vive but right now with the issues surrounding v1.31 update I'd definitely favour the Vive.

I had a large consider about which company to go down, but I do like Oculus' UI and Core 2.0 more rather than the generic SteamVR. Plus a used but good condition Rift is about £250-300 whereas a used Pro or Vive is around £400-600

i wouldnt buy any of em 2nd hand .  vive wands have a tendancy to fail and cost a fortune to replace and the rift has its own possible issues too (eg the integrated headphones)
also you wont get all the free games if you go 2nd hand, and you really want robo recall.

edit.... 1m depth to your play space tho... that kind of sucks. will be ok for many games but not all.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

JustVertigo
Explorer

Marc-G said:

i wouldnt buy any of em 2nd hand .  vive wands have a tendancy to fail and cost a fortune to replace and the rift has its own possible issues too (eg the integrated headphones)
also you wont get all the free games if you go 2nd hand, and you really want robo recall.

edit.... 1m depth to your play space tho... that kind of sucks. will be ok for many games but not all.

That is true but isn't it much cheaper to buy a game like Robo Recall separately with a 2nd hand, rather than adding £100 to the whole initial package? (btw including my arm space over furniture, the vr space in the room is about 2x3m)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Marc-G said:

That is true but isn't it much cheaper to buy a game like Robo Recall separately with a 2nd hand, rather than adding £100 to the whole initial package? (btw including my arm space over furniture, the vr space in the room is about 2x3m)

2x3m is fine - my play space isn't much bigger (maybe 2.5x3m). I have a couch in the room too, works great when you need to sit down in games like Moss or to watch movies etc. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Get a Rift, move your PC downstairs and keep it there. Tell the missus that you're wearing the trousers and if she doesn't like it then she can move out of the house. 😄

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Marc-G said:

Rift has at its cheapest been £350 iirc. Personally me I would take brand new with 2 year warranty and the free games over 2nd hand , fewer games  no warranty and not knowing the history of the hmd.
But to each their own that is what I would do, it does not mean that is the right fit for you.
(Maybe I am more cautious that I would have been but my right ear piece broke at the weekend and I am a few months out of warranty
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂