cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Rift suffer from Quest?

revmouse
Explorer
As I understand it, Rift games will be downgraded graphically so Quest can run them. My thoughts are developers will make games for Quest and just simply port them to the Rift? We've seen how that works when they ported console games to PC. No consideration to the much more powerful computing and graphic rendering of the PC as to consoles! I fear we will see Programing for the lowest common denominator.

49 REPLIES 49

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

falken76 said:
Isn't that terrible for a product that has been out for over 2 years?  If I were a AAA vendor, I think VR would be like Financial Kryptonite to the company.  Not even a million units to cater to?  You'd have to reduce your budget to below $50,000.  Screw exclusives, there's too low a demographic for that.  You need to sell to all the HMDs in hopes of getting an actual ROI.  I'm actually surprised we have any software at all to play with.

I agree with you - absolute niche offering, from what was promised as a mainstream business. Just think of all the indies that supported DK2 and raised investment. They have seen negligible sales (if lucky) and no means to pay back the investment. A dominoes of developers is happening in the sector at present, more developments will be seen at GDC 2019.

You hit the nail on the head why we were against all "exclusives" at this early stage of this latest phase in VR adoption. The garden was just too small to be walled off, and the whole issue of not being platform agnostic has hampered much of the green shoots that we saw in 2016.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
Estimated numbers of total users may be:

HTC - about 1.5 to 2 mill.
Oculus - about 2 mill 
Sony - about 4 mill.
Microsoft - about 0.5 mill.

That would put us at about 8.5 mill VR users and close to 10 mill users. (Note that this is without GearVR.) 

Wow @RuneSR2 - you really think Oculus at about 2 mill???
Would we have not seen that reflected in sales - or would we not have seen OVR shouting from the tree-top they were at this point? Most conservative estimations place CV1 sales at 890,000 to 990,000. 

Rumor that HTC was about to reveal their 2mil sales (rolling in China and West sales and all their DOE business), but not sure about the rest.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:

RuneSR2 said:
Estimated numbers of total users may be:

HTC - about 1.5 to 2 mill.
Oculus - about 2 mill 
Sony - about 4 mill.
Microsoft - about 0.5 mill.

That would put us at about 8.5 mill VR users and close to 10 mill users. (Note that this is without GearVR.) 

Wow @RuneSR2 - you really think Oculus at about 2 mill???
Would we have not seen that reflected in sales - or would we not have seen OVR shouting from the tree-top they were at this point? Most conservative estimations place CV1 sales at 890,000 to 990,000. 

Rumor that HTC was about to reveal their 2mil sales (rolling in China and West sales and all their DOE business), but not sure about the rest.

Have a look at a few messages earlier on up on how he arrived at that.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think 2 million is a fair assessment (e.g. "guess") of Oculus Rift sales as a total summation. Although even that is still very low by industry standards.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Reaching about 8.5 million PSVR and PCVR users may imply that we've finally reached some sort of critical mass making it worthwhile for devs to produce the amazing content, which is the fuel to increase VR adoption.

Just saw this - even if about 8.5 mill PSVR, MS MR, HTC Vive (Pro) and Rift HMDs may have been sold in total, all owners may not be active - like described here:

"The important thing is we need to see the metrics for active users of VR. A lot of people bought headsets just to try it out. How many of those people are active? We found that in terms of our data, a lot of users weren’t."
Source: https://wccftech.com/ccp-expected-vr-to-be-twice-as-big/

Sad to read that sales of EVE Valkyrie didn't meet expectations at all - then again, the game did have a very weak singleplayer part, not sure if the devs disappointment can be stretched to VR games in general. 

Now I do wonder how many active VR users we are - that is, users who frequently buy games and apps to support the devs... 10 mill active high-end HMD users may be something quite different from 10 mill sold high-end HMDs... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

LZoltowski said:

Have a look at a few messages earlier on up on how he arrived at that.

No I am sorry @LZoltowski  - I do not think you can play with the numbers enough to propose a 2m penetration - and don't even try the argument of adding GearVR users to the number as we were only talking Oculus CV1!

ohgrant
Superstar
 I would have to say no but possibly yes to the original question. I was quite impressed with the quality of the games in my gear VR. Some of those games, that was ported to CV!, look much better with dedicated graphics and desktop CPU no doubt, but can't take away that they still looked great in Gear VR. Quest is a different beast, built and optimized to do nothing but VR. With all the features it has, compared to PlayStation. Quest might be poised to take the market by storm. The cheapest way to get into serious VR, no console or computer needed. I think it possible that, if Quest is as good as it sounds, it could not only affect the PC Rift customer base but more PlayStation VR customers will be looking at them. 
In that scenario, I think it possible we will see a difference in what is offered to us only because Oculus will be concentrating on the mobile war. A win for us in the long run.          
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There are multiple sources that put the Oculus Rift CV1 near 2 million sales. Here's another source:
  • 2017 Estimates = 700,000 units
  • 2018 Estimates = 900,00 units

We are near 2-million without even counting the 2016 sales, which most predictions were between 200,000 and 400,000. This same data provider (Statista) puts Rift 2016 sales at 243,000. So that's a total estimate of over 1,800,000 Rift CV1 units sold to-date.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Isn't that terrible for a product that has been out for over 2 years?

Everything is relative. It is slow if you compare it to phone or console sales. But phones and consoles have been here for decades. Just check the number of cellphones sold during the first two years after it was created. It wasn't that much.

No new tech becomes mainstream in two years. Especially today, when people take it for granted that any new tech should sell dozens of million units per year.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Not to mention that prices of hardware have been against early adopters who wanted to get a taste of what VR is, but then realized they would have had to spend as much, if not more to upgrade their rig as well.
Be good, die great !