cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

So this works like I thought SDE could be mitigated 2 years ago! (should have patented it lol)

"Samsung’s exclusive AMOLED technology applies a grid pattern structure to devices’ top-layer panels, reducing the distance between pixels by almost 50%. "

It's basically a layer of tiny prism-like patterns on top of the screens that reduce the perceived distance between the pixels by bending the light. 

This is a miniaturised version of how these simple "bezel removers" work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFplhq7FhuI

It's a prism lens that bends light to remove the bezel, obviously Samsung tech works on a much tinier scale

It's now on the US Website for just $499:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-hea...

- and RoadToVR just published an article explaining the Samsung Odyssey+ anti-SDE:

"Samsung Anti-SDE AMOLED Display solves SDE by applying a grid that diffuses light coming from each pixel and replicating the picture to areas around each pixel. This makes the spaces between pixels near impossible to see. In result, your eyes perceive the diffused light as part of the visual content, with a perceived PPI of 1,233PPI, double that of the already high 616PPI of the previous generation Samsung HMD Odyssey+ [sic]."

More here: https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odyssey-plus-price-anti-sde-display/

$500 does sound rather inexpensive including controllers - and you do have access to many SteamVR games. Still I love my Rift using high levels of super sampling ❤️

SDE isn't a great problem to me in games. SDE feels slightly like scanlines in MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator), possibly adding an extra quality (I always enable scanlines to get that great old arcade/CRT look in emulated arcade games - no, I'm not joking at all). The SDE primarily bothers me in movies.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

the only way this could provide any benefit is if the spaces in the panel not lit by a pixel were lit somehow.

the resolution doesnt change. the pixels still show what they show = resolution. but the spaces between pixels are filled.

split the pixel light over two spaces using something like the fiber optic toy that sends light down plastic fiber to;
- the space over the pixel and
- the space between pixels beside the pixel

https://www.scientificsonline.com/product/fiber-optic-light-wand

its cheap to make the fiber optic strand, just lead it to from the original individual pixel and guide it to two spaces, the fiber lights up the space not lit by a pixel.

the benefit isnt increased resolution but loss of screen door effect.

to separate pixels you will need very fine thin walls between spots the fiber sends light too. and extra light being sent out probably means more light nits have to be used.

Roming22
Adventurer
For video projector, there move the panel around to simulate 4k and remove SDE (some call it e-shift). I'd have thought that they would have applied a similar mechanism, but a static grid of lenses surely does the trick while being inexpensive.

whitav8
Protege
This sounds more like a diffuser that is a simple optical layer (like scotch tape) that was tried by a lot of DK2 users to reduce SDE. Similar to the following:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2dq69k/comparison_of_dk2_screen_door_effect_with_and/

If it's not overdone - that is, it becomes blurry - this could be very nice. I like the price and the fact that it doesn't require any more CPU/GPU power. I think some reviews are in order (CV1, Vive Pro, PiMax5k+, Odyssey, Odyssey+) and for me, flight sims as visual benchmarks.

I'd like to see a PiMax 5K+ with a similar SDE reducer.

pyroth309
Visionary
My biggest concern with these only having only having 2 cameras in the front has always been the tracking. I wish there was a 4 camera option or something to cover the back. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Samsung released this video yesterday:

https://youtu.be/O8oJe_NgMvA

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

My biggest concern with these only having only having 2 cameras in the front has always been the tracking. I wish there was a 4 camera option or something to cover the back. 

My biggest concern is that they are WMR only, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

LZoltowski
Champion
The fact that it has a wider "eyebox" and nose guard means that they are hoping to catch more of the non-Asian market. I heard that was a common complaint with the OG Odyssey, European heads are chunkier and more rounded.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

The rift uses Samsung screens already and there is no reason I see why Samsung would not let their partners use this tech.

Unfortunately, it seems Samsung won't supply anti-SDE to Oculus or HTC:

"The announcement also indicates that the anti-SDE technology is “exclusive” to the Odyssey+. Samsung supplies displays to other VR headsets like the Rift and Vive, and this particular line makes it sound like the company plans to keep the anti-SDE diffuser for their own headsets."

And the controllers may work better than before - maybe:

"
Beyond the details already gleaned from the headset’s product page, the announcement confirms that the headset has built in Bluetooth, meaning that the controllers will connect directly to the headset instead of relying on the host PC’s own Bluetooth connection (which required an additional dongle in the case of most desktop PCs). The controllers are “pre-paired” out of the box, Samsung says, making setup a bit easier still."

It seems that the Odyssey has already launched in the US:

"Update (October 22nd, 2018 – 10:52PM PT): A press release from Samsung today serves as the official announcement of the Odyssey+ and confirms availability in the US starting today from Samsung and Microsoft. The headset will be available “soon” in Korea, China, Hong Kong, and Brazil. To the dismay of enthusiasts, Samsung didn’t sell the prior iteration of the Odyssey in Europe, and the Odyssey+ seems destined for the same."

Source: https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odyssey-plus-price-anti-sde-display/

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Why do you think Samsung have chosen not to sell it in Europe? Samsung are a strange company because they do things silly things that can effect their sales. For instances.

I was going to buy a Samsung smart watch, but I found out that in Europe it can't be used to make calls unless it's blue-toothed to your mobile phone. In the USA you don't need your phone blue-toothed to do this and can leave it at home, So you see what I mean about silly decisions they make.

I ended up buying a different brand Smart watch in the end because they wouldn't allow this feature to be used in European watches. Who is going to want to buy a dumbed down version of the USA version when they see what the USA version of the same watch does?