cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No rift 2 ?!. God no please tell me it ain't true!

inovator
Consultant
I love vr. I'm a big fan of the rift. I was highly disturbed that rift 2 info. was missing in action in this year's connect. I know that mark vaguely said the pc platform vr would be supported in the future but I believe the rift was not successful enough to make the rift 2 promise. It doesn't help my thinking when today it was all over the internet that the oculus cofounder left because rumors said the rift 2 at least for now was cancelled. Facebook has not denied that. But i believe rift 2 will happen but it will be much longer than anyone could have imagined. It will happen only after a tremendous leap in its tech. Much larger fov, fantastic resolution, no pixels, only built in cameras, and a very noticeable decrease in its weight.omg I may be dead by then. In the meantime the quest may be vrs savior. Oculus realizes the rift pc will never make vr a mass media. Only stand alone can do that. I wish the Quest luck! I will buy one! It's success will be a contributing factor of how much development will be put into the rift 2 and when it will come out. If there is a vr god out there please listen to me. Please vr god allow us fans to witness a fantastic and fruitful vr future. Amen 
39 REPLIES 39

Correct.  Nobody will reply to you because they've all gone to the Primarx forum.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

A lot of questions today about the future of Rift — we're still driving forward on the Rift/PC platform with new hardware, software, and content.

Lots of great stuff in the works. More to share in the months ahead.

https://twitter.com/natemitchell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, it's not true. Facebook denied it, Zuckerberg denied it, Nate Mitchell denied it, and this information comes from only one anonymous source (nothing really trustworthy).
There's nothing to worry, it's just bad press that spread like wildfire.

inovator
Consultant
I hope your right but I still believe the tech will have to be similar to what I said above before it will be released and the Quest success will also be a deciding factor.I think it will be no sooner than 2021 but probably later.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whether the Quest is a success or not will not affect the CV2 launch. These things aren't launched on a whim, Zuckerberg won't cancel the release of the CV2 if the Quest doesn't sell enough. These devices have internal roadmaps and have been planned for years.

Zuckerberg doesn't wake up one morning and decide to launch the Go, or Quest. He's planned to launch three different headsets aimed at three different demographics probably before he bought Oculus.

inovator
Consultant
If I was a betting man I would bet the rift 2 was originally planned to be released much sooner than it will be. you could be right but I still believe what I stated. Only time will tell. 

ohgrant
Superstar
 With all the advancements from R&D from all the current makers of VR, I would have to say the bar has been raised since they started development. I think the CV2 will have to have all of the higher resolution and wireless capabilities of the competitors while trying to keep retail cost lower. Not surprised at all if a few prototypes get smashed. 
 Probably not going to be a popular idea, but I think possibly Oculus should try to capture the low-end PC crowd in addition to the high-end VR stuff. Games that were optimized for Gear VR, a single camera like the DK2, controllers not included. CV2e
 I'm willing to wait for a brilliant & innovative CV2. A half-baked CV2 would be disastrous.      
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer

Correct.  Nobody will reply to you because they've all gone to the Primarx forum.

.. what?
Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:
VRChat! Also, Airtone, Beat Saber, OrbusVR, SkyrimVR and DolphinVR

Features I most want:
1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor