Sacralith now available in Oculus Store - reviews and opinions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It's the one game I was considering buying on Steam, I'm glad I waited:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/1773742012637125/

https://youtu.be/MjQqecpjeK8

Even RoadToVR liked the game and rated the game 87%

SUMMARY
'Sacralith: The Archer's Tale' marries expert-level visual polish with a clever and engaging bow shooting extravaganza to make what is clearly approaching AAA territory. The narrative, and characters within it, are also high on visual polish, and thanks to motion capture, are decidedly 'human enough' to be convincing. The level of difficulty is extremely high, making for multiple hours of bow shooting throughout the game's singular campaign. 
Gameplay: 9 | Immersion: 8.5 | Comfort: 8.5
Source: https://www.roadtovr.com/sacralith-vr-review/

- Find more reviews here:

https://vrgamecritic.com/game/sacralith-the-archers-tale

Average user rating on Steam is 9/10.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

24 REPLIES 24

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

I have both, and when it comes to Bow/Arrow simulation:
In Death > SkyrimVR

You're almost certainly right. But I won't buy In Death because teleportation is an immersion killer for me. In Skyrim, I can move and shoot at the same time. Take cover, pop out and shoot etc. It's not realistic when you feel like your feet are planted in cement. 

But maybe the game is more fun that I think. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

But I won't buy In Death because teleportation is an immersion killer for me. In Skyrim, I can move and shoot at the same time. Take cover, pop out and shoot etc. It's not realistic when you feel like your feet are planted in cement. 

There's free locomotion in In Death too, but also the possibility to shoot teleportation arrows. Sacralith has only teleportation, but do give the game a try - it's really awesome, and the game would be too difficult using free locomotion only (you wouldn't be able to climb a building to get on the roof fast enough etc). 

To me, shooting arrows in Sacralith feels much the same as In Death, although I think I'm shooting faster in Sacralith. 

Would be interesting to read a comparison of Skyrim VR, In Death and Sacralith - if someone out there has tried all 3 games (for now I don't feel I've have enough spare-time to invest in Skyrim VR, so I haven't bought it - did play the pancake version years ago) . 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Digikid1
Consultant

MowTin said:

Zenbane said:

I have both, and when it comes to Bow/Arrow simulation:
In Death > SkyrimVR

You're almost certainly right. But I won't buy In Death because teleportation is an immersion killer for me. In Skyrim, I can move and shoot at the same time. Take cover, pop out and shoot etc. It's not realistic when you feel like your feet are planted in cement. 

Agreed.  There IS free locomotion in InDeath.  It is also an extremely fun and oddly SATISFYING game as well.  HIGHLY recommended.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Just finished a few rounds of this game and I have to say... I'm very disappointed. I actually considered Refunding this game but decided to keep in just in case the Dev's perform an update that makes it worthwhile.

First of all, this game is very much similar to In Death. Some of the arrows are the same; such as the Scattershot Arrow. And even the Templar models are almost identical. In Death is superior in just about every way since it plays more like a Dungeon Crawler, whereas Sacralith plays more like a cross-between Tower Defense and Wave Shooter.

This game has quite a few flaws:
  • Collision issues (I've watched my arrows travel through an enemy)
  • Pathing issues (enemies walk along a line similar to Tower Defense games, but sometimes their path goes awkward)
  • General Bow inadequacies  (the Bow implementation is nowhere near as good as something like In Death or even SkyrimVR with the Realistic Bow Setting). Grabbing the quills from the back is very annoying since the "grab box" seem very specific and I often have to try 2-3 times in a row to grab a single arrow.
  • Bad VR Menu. In some areas (like the Practice area) the Menu system is literally stuck to your face in that annoying way where it moves everywhere you are looking and it's way too damn close to your eyes.
  • Node Teleportation. Since this is a Wave Shooter and Tower Defense combo, the worst thing to do is have to constantly teleport to specific nodes and then walk in a circle until you are facing the correct way. Some games do Node Teleportation very well (e.g. The Unspoken, Wilson's Heart), but Sacralith does it quite terribly.

If someone wants to experience what Sacralith has to offer, but for FREE, then try Deadly Hunter VR:

Even that 3-Star rating game has a better bow implementation and overall better combat mechanics.

I'm going to give this a few more tries before I shelve it until the next major update.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Beat the game today. It does get more charming towards the end. I feel that the game is a bit short considering that the Player has a "skill tree" that never gets fully explored in one playthrough. My total playtime was 2 hours and that's considering that I had to redo 2 of the levels several times due to their difficulty.

The game definitely has an "early access" feel to it, but I will say that if the Dev's give it a bit more love and attention then it could turn in to something rather special. In its current form though, it's hard to recommend at a price point above $9.99.

I'll post screenshots of my 2 favorite moments soon.