New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Former Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe Departs Facebook

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,162 Valuable Player

In a post on Facebook Iribe noted he would be taking his “first real break” in over 20 years, though didn’t provide a reason for his departure.

https://uploadvr.com/brendan-iribe-exits-oculus/?fbclid=IwAR3eXts71iCoMqN0_F__Pmd9MdMw_BiUqK9_EK1Zw92dC3aMAKhEgLtvLqI

urdgfqqehbbb.png
** Second New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,494 Valuable Player
    Bloody hell, that's quite a shock. I'm guessing there must be personal reasons for him taking a break..?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,162 Valuable Player
    Not really - he had been demoted from his CEO position to the "PC division" back in 2016 - this seems to have been part of a gradual exit linked to a full restructuring of the operation and a re-focusing of the business after the upheaval of legal and sales issues. It is also linked in part to OVR aligning with Facebook VR's position - as seen in the way the OQ was presented at OC5.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus-co-founder-is-leaving-facebook-after-cancellation-of-rift-2-headset/

>"Oculus co-founder is leaving Facebook after cancellation of ‘Rift 2’ headset"

No - if you look at the link from Nate it shoots down the claim of the cancellation of the CV2 - and also throws into doubt a bit of TC's reporting style!

The post however does seem to elude to a longer birthing duration now for CV2 than some here would like!

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    @zenbane bad news is not what I want to read but you are right, this could have a silver lining.
    Who knows... Most are assuming Mr iribe was right but maybe (just a guess) he wanted to release an interim update with only minor improvements where as oculus may want to get a genuine new gen device out.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,526 Valuable Player
    Well one thing for sure, this news and the projecting of it meaning the end of the Rift line is spreading like crazy amongst the PC gaming forums.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Little.Robot.FairyLittle.Robot.Fairy Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    I sure hope that the rumors of "Rift 2 is cancelled" aren't true.

I really want news about a Rift CV2, and soon. If not, I may be in the market for a Vive + FBT + Samsung Odyssey+ combo. Vive Knuckles should be out before too long. And Vive is the best source for full body tracking at the moment, with no need for a difficult and spotty Kinect setup. And Vive sensors can be used with both a Odyssey+ and a Pimax 5KS. Which together would be an ideal VR setup. And a huge upgrade over the current Rift.

Luckily, it's looking more like TechCrunch isn't a trustworthy source.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,022 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018

I'm sure we are going to see a lot of posts like this now. Come on Facebook name the release date of CV2, or give use more details about CV2.

Everyone's going to just go and buy a Vive, if you carry on keeping your cards close to your chest :D
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,151 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Everyone's going to just go and buy a Vive, if you carry on keeping your cards close to your chest :D

Not everyone. You go first though. Send pics!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:

The last thing I'd buy is a Vive because there's nothing I like about it. I was just meaning we will have a flood of posts saying I'm buying a Vive now hence the :D at he end of the sentence :D   
    Dear Oculus,

I've just seen that you've cancelled the Rift 2. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive and sending Mark Zuckerberg a turd in a box in the post. Bastards.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    snowdog said:
    Dear Oculus,

I've just seen that you've cancelled the Rift 2. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive and sending Mark Zuckerberg a turd in a box in the post. Bastards.

Yeah and I'll send in my own bottled lemonade to go with the turd. Don't pee up my back and tell me it's raining..J/K
     ;) 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Dear Oculus,

Been using a Vive Pro at work - also the wireless adapter - with the normal Vive because we forgot to order the clip for the Pro (coming next week).

Wireless is bloody wonderful!

Only at work of course, because i have to!
    Oh, and here's something topical - we got a 2 month free subscription to Viveport - nice one i thought.  I couldn't wait to show some of the guys The Climb - holy cow that game would be shamazing wire-free.  Well of course it aint on there!  Actually, there are no great games on there to be honest (ok i found Seeking Dawn)!  How the hell do Vive people survive without all the Oculus Home goodness?

I say topical because Crytek have been talking about The Climb on the Quest:

https://www.cryengine.com/news/crytek-s-the-climb-coming-to-oculus-quest

Yup, I'd love to see statistics on how many Vive owners subscribe to the thing. I wouldn't have thought that many because everyone keeps on trashing it on the Vive sub-Reddit.

I also think that the Vive launch line-up was so comparatively poor because HTC were expecting native compatibility for the Vive on the Oculus Store.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,713 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Morgrum said:
    Wow but this does mean that crazy stalker gal wont be back.

Funny, the first thought I had when I saw this thread was exactly the same as yours!

Now, regarding any rumours that Iribe leaving the company spells doom and gloom for the future of the Rift.... I didn't see any hint of that in Iribe's statement, that article just smelt like someone fishing for a story or more likely fishing for clicks. People leave companies, that's life. They usually leave cos they've been made an offer from someone else or for a hundred different reasons.... or he actually needs a break, just like he says.

Edit: with all the threads popping up on the subject I think I may give the forum a miss for a week or so.

*sigh*

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018

Seems TechCrunch backpedals a little bit (RoadTVR says they're doubling down). 

Still bummed to see Iribe go. He helped negotiate manufacturing deals in China, get venture capital on board & secure funding, make sure everything is running smoothly etc.

He might not have had the highest street cred (During OC He said DK1 had 8 bit graphics when referring to its it's pixelated low res screen ; p ) but was a strong link in the Oculus Team & hope he stays a VR beliver and will continue to work in the industry.

• Little.Robot.FairyLittle.Robot.Fairy Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    RedRizla said:
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:

The last thing I'd buy is a Vive because there's nothing I like about it. I was just meaning we will have a flood of posts saying I'm buying a Vive now hence the :D at he end of the sentence :D   
    Are you making fun of people for being interested in Oculus' competition?
    edited October 2018

Not at all. I've been looking at the Samsung Odyssey+ myself. It's just in the past when there have been false reports on some sites this leads people to think there will be no CV2 and they then talk about looking at other headsets on the Oculus forums. But CV2 will be spoken about next year according to this report and this ones from Oculus..

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/oculus-reconfirms-future-version-of-rift-amid-pc-cancellation-rumors/
    RedRizla said:

Not at all. I've been looking at the Samsung Odyssey+ myself. It's just in the past when there have been false reports on some sites this leads people to think there will be no CV2 and they then talk about looking at other headsets on the Oculus forums. But CV2 will be spoken about next year according to this report and this ones from Oculus..

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/oculus-reconfirms-future-version-of-rift-amid-pc-cancellation-rumors/

The CV2 has been spoken about every year though - it is talked about at every Oculus event.

It's as though nobody listens to that but whenever an outside organisation says something (makes something up - usually negative) the whole world listens.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    I used to always see poll's on this forum for what people wanted improving in the Rift CV2, the poll's would have you choose between resolution, refresh rate, fov, wireless etc. 

Now that I have had my Rift for a good 18+ months, I think I want an increase in the FOV. Recently the FOV bothers me more and more. I really hope they can fix the FOV and increase it massively for CV2.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    We will have rift 2 when Intel release 10nm cpus
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    I think it will just take a bit longer... maybe because of a change in the direction the company is moving.
    I think Oculus Quest is the biggest thing for FB right now. And my guess is that Oculus will take the Quest and build all the new tech around that device. My guess is: We will not get a CV2 but some kind of a Quest Deluxe Version. One thing I think is clear: CV2 (or Quest Deluxe) will be very different from CV1. Very different.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,754 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Either way  I look at it - the longer they are going to wait on PC VR CV2 - the longer it's going to take to get people back into PC VR let alone recommend VR to others over time. This is going to hurt VR sells over all and I think this rumor isn't a rumor - but fact of the nature of what is going on. As he said - there will always be phototypes, but without real word on what is going on - there isn't any ground to stand on.

It sounds like one or two thing is going down:
    1) R/D cost is getting high and as a result - FB wants to cut some of that down meaning instead of working towards a true 2.0 - they're going to aim for a 1.5 version in late 2019 to 2020.

2) FB doesn't see PCVR going anywhere and instead will focus on Mobile VR instead as they could have the total control over the whole platform much like how cell phones and consoles are today. This means that CV2 is going to be a better version of the Oculus Quest instead (maybe using small form factor PC parts). This means you will be stuck to what hardware they give you much like how consoles work today. On the plus side - I guess devs can focus more on getting every last drop of performance out of the known hardware instead. Still - that going to be a big cut back on graphical designs/eye candy they could get sticking to PC VR.