cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

flibberflops
Expert Protege
The lack of sale in europe is due to the device being part of the PC market. Samsung totally pulled their PC europe division in 2014. Therefore they have no infrastructure in Europe to sell and support PC related hardware.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

the only way this could provide any benefit is if the spaces in the panel not lit by a pixel were lit somehow.

the resolution doesnt change. the pixels still show what they show = resolution. but the spaces between pixels are filled.

split the pixel light over two spaces using something like the fiber optic toy that sends light down plastic fiber to;
- the space over the pixel and
- the space between pixels beside the pixel

https://www.scientificsonline.com/product/fiber-optic-light-wand

its cheap to make the fiber optic strand, just lead it to from the original individual pixel and guide it to two spaces, the fiber lights up the space not lit by a pixel.

the benefit isnt increased resolution but loss of screen door effect.

to separate pixels you will need very fine thin walls between spots the fiber sends light too. and extra light being sent out probably means more light nits have to be used.

better yet is when you add in the fiber cable is to not add in walls where the space was before which would split the light of the pixel up into two, but there should be a fiber cable up to the top of the pixel too so if you added walls then the pixel light would have been split up into three, which would darken the pixel unnecessarily.

just use one fiber cable, its base is a small size, then the fiber cable is enlarged on its end to cover the gaps above and beside the pixel.

you just need to package the fibers together somehow. with really ultra thin walls.

edit. i drew a picture to show how to design the fiber so there is a gap-less picture sheen so zero sde.

f3cbds47fz63.jpg
the fiber fits through the hole on the socket to hold the fiber in place. the fiber is small over the pixel and enlarged on the end to cover to gap between pixels above and beside the pixel.

the problem with using a light transport like the fiber cable is the light will be absorbed which will make the light dim. you need to coat the walls of the fiber cable with a reflective coating to send the light shining one wall onto the other wall, but the top and bottom of the cable is not coated with a reflective surface and is able to send and receive light from the pixel.

paint the walls of the cable white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yrZpTHBEss

pyroth309
Visionary

Before anyone jumps into Odyssey+ route, keep in mind that resolution is not the only thing to consider.  I tried to switch to Odyssey, and CV1 won hands down for me.  If anyone cares, here's my write up (with emphasis on sim-racing, I haven't even tried controllers as to me VR is just a tool to race in real scale and avoid triple screen):  https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/samsung-odyssey-vr-headset-microsoft-mixed-reality.10663/page-3#post-160560

They supposedly fixed a lot of those issues you had but I'm not sure if they fixed them all. One of my friends has an Odyssey and I tried it out and the colors are more vibrant than the Rift but tracking sucked for me as a 6'4 dude as it had a hard time seeing the controllers with my hands down so I had to keep them out in front of me. I didn't really feel like the image was much better than Rift but I felt like I could see things in sims a little better than the Rift. So with the improvements to the +, I will likely grab one and give it a go to play all my seated experiences with.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Filling the gap between pixel is easy just by moving quickly the screen in micro movements in all directions. You just have to do like me : bought a big vibrating dildo, a realistic one with a big suction cup, and put it firmly in front of the Rift.

Turn it ON, done.

No, I can't send picture right now 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

YoLolo69 said:

Filling the gap between pixel is easy just by moving quickly the screen in micro movements in all directions. You just have to do like me : bought a big vibrating dildo, a realistic one with a big suction cup, and put it firmly in front of the Rift.

Turn it ON, done.

No, I can't send picture right now 😉

Call me old fashined and pessimistic, but I'm not sure that Samsung would appreciate an Odyssey+ sales slogan like "Odyssey+ - just as good as the Rift and a vibrating dildo".

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable

pyroth309
Visionary
It lets me preorder one now on samsung's site. They ship November 4th. I'm holding off until I read some hands on reviews but good to know they're shipping very soon. I want to know if the SDE tech is just marketing hype or if it's really clear with a crisp image. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I do think Samsung makes awesome commercials - in my mind the title of this picture could easily be "how to truly enjoy acts of physical intimacy when you're married to a super-wealthy, repulsive old geezer"  😄

t8d1cheeri4v.jpg

Don't know why, but it's Saturday, and maybe I'm prone to subconscious manipulation, now I can't help thinking about watching this movie again  B)

tp7wod3ccark.jpg

In case some viewers missed a few details - not sure all are correct, but I do believe there're substance in several interpretations shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/MtZLPwWt_IM

Kubrick stated that Eyes Wide Shut was his "greatest contribution to the art of cinema" - thus his best film ever, it took many years/decades to make/write, even 400 days just for the shooting (= longest continuous film shoot according to Guinness World Records). Unfortunately - and the fun thing - most viewers including me will probably only scratch the surface of this film - and see it with their eyes more or less wide shut 😉

There's an 84 page analysis of the movie here:

http://www.jeffreyscottbernstein.com/kubrick/images/Notes_on_EWS.pdf

BTW, first picture is showing the original Odyssey, not the + variant. 

pyroth309
Visionary
Alright, you talked me into it. Got one on preorder and did next day delivery. I trust Samsung enough to think that it should at the least be improved over the original. I'll just guinea pig it. Hopefully it's more comfortable than the first odyssey.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Alright, you talked me into it. Got one on preorder and did next day delivery. I trust Samsung enough to think that it should at the least be improved over the original. I'll just guinea pig it. Hopefully it's more comfortable than the first odyssey.

I'm looking forward to your review, thanks - there are of course several great reasons for the Odyssey+ like Doom VFR, FallOut 4, Skyrim VR and Seeking Dawn - and more:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=104