No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

Comments

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 391
    Trinity
    edited October 2018
    They sell all their other products over here from tablets, phones and Tv's, so i wonder why VR headsets are a issue.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,239
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    Are they available anywhere? I might give one a shot to see if it's better for sims than the Rift is. The original odyssey wasn't to me.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,943 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Are they available anywhere? I might give one a shot to see if it's better for sims than the Rift is. The original odyssey wasn't to me.
    Not sure - if you're in the US, maybe you can find retailers using the "Where to buy"-link here:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    RedRizla said:
    Why do you think Samsung have chosen not to sell it in Europe? Samsung are a strange company because they do things silly things that can effect their sales. For instances.

I was going to buy a Samsung smart watch, but I found out that in Europe it can't be used to make calls unless it's blue-toothed to your mobile phone. In the USA you don't need your phone blue-toothed to do this and can leave it at home, So you see what I mean about silly decisions they make.

I ended up buying a different brand Smart watch in the end because they wouldn't allow this feature to be used in European watches. Who is going to want to buy a dumbed down version of the USA version when they see what the USA version of the same watch does?

Ok, it's just the old Odyssey, but at least there're kind sellers who ship to Europe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OB-Samsung-HMD-Odyssey-Windows-Mixed-Reality-Headset-w-Controllers/263708202491?hash=item3d663bd5fb:g:FM4AAOSw-VtbBd5s:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• wannieballbagwannieballbag Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    If this headset does what Samsung says it will be amazing, perceived PPI of 1233 combined with the best colours and contrast.  Love the torch feature too. I didn't think i'd be replacing my Rift anytime soon, this has changed that.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,362 Valuable Player
    If Samsung got rid of their crappy tracking then this headset would provide competition to the Rift and Vive. You would have thought that they would licence the Constellation or Lighthouse tracking systems from Oculus or Valve to make this possible. If they licenced the former it would be a win-win for both companies - Samsung would have high-end tracking and Oculus would have another native compatible headset having access to their Store.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,607 Valuable Player
    This is very good competitive news, and we should then expect to see the Vive and Rift step up over the next year in response. This news comes just in time now with all the rumors of the Rift being abandoned by Facebook lol
    I give Samsung extra points for getting this SDE milestone accomplished without dragging consumers through a 1+ year wishful thinking Kickstarter.
    I'm very excited about VR 2019-2020!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited October 2018
    To me software comes first - then hardware. You could say I didn't buy the Rift, instead I bought Lone Echo, Mage's Tale, Wilson's Heart, Robo Recall and Arizona Sunshine and some stuff I needed to play those games ;-)

It seems to me that Oculus is the one to pay for most of the really amazing VR games which drive VR forward - has HTC payed for any awesome must-have Vive-exclusive games? (ok there're FallOut 4 and Doom VFR, but that felt more like Zenimax trying to punish Oculus). 

Apart from being able to re-enjoy games I can already play on my Rift, what awesome Odyssey+/MR-exclusive software is there? I don't really see anything (Halo Recruit was a nice try though). When I move in games I don't notice the SDE, but I notice it when watching movies. To me Odyssey+ feels more like a great competitor to Go or Quest, not sure it could replace my Rift (also due to the tracking and the awkward controllers). With Lone Echo 2 and Stormlands coming up, I don't think it's time to completely replace the Rift with the Odyssey+... 

Well, I'm greatly looking forward to reviews!

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,809 Valuable Player
    Valve couldn't even be bothered with Half Life 2 in VR..
  • flibberflopsflibberflops Posts: 84
    Hiro Protagonist
    The lack of sale in europe is due to the device being part of the PC market. Samsung totally pulled their PC europe division in 2014. Therefore they have no infrastructure in Europe to sell and support PC related hardware.

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 394
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018

the only way this could provide any benefit is if the spaces in the panel not lit by a pixel were lit somehow.

the resolution doesnt change. the pixels still show what they show = resolution. but the spaces between pixels are filled.

split the pixel light over two spaces using something like the fiber optic toy that sends light down plastic fiber to;
    - the space over the pixel and
    - the space between pixels beside the pixel

https://www.scientificsonline.com/product/fiber-optic-light-wand

its cheap to make the fiber optic strand, just lead it to from the original individual pixel and guide it to two spaces, the fiber lights up the space not lit by a pixel.

the benefit isnt increased resolution but loss of screen door effect.

to separate pixels you will need very fine thin walls between spots the fiber sends light too. and extra light being sent out probably means more light nits have to be used.

better yet is when you add in the fiber cable is to not add in walls where the space was before which would split the light of the pixel up into two, but there should be a fiber cable up to the top of the pixel too so if you added walls then the pixel light would have been split up into three, which would darken the pixel unnecessarily.

just use one fiber cable, its base is a small size, then the fiber cable is enlarged on its end to cover the gaps above and beside the pixel.

you just need to package the fibers together somehow. with really ultra thin walls.

edit. i drew a picture to show how to design the fiber so there is a gap-less picture sheen so zero sde.

the fiber fits through the hole on the socket to hold the fiber in place. the fiber is small over the pixel and enlarged on the end to cover to gap between pixels above and beside the pixel.

the problem with using a light transport like the fiber cable is the light will be absorbed which will make the light dim. you need to coat the walls of the fiber cable with a reflective coating to send the light shining one wall onto the other wall, but the top and bottom of the cable is not coated with a reflective surface and is able to send and receive light from the pixel.

paint the walls of the cable white.

Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    Before anyone jumps into Odyssey+ route, keep in mind that resolution is not the only thing to consider.  I tried to switch to Odyssey, and CV1 won hands down for me.  If anyone cares, here's my write up (with emphasis on sim-racing, I haven't even tried controllers as to me VR is just a tool to race in real scale and avoid triple screen):  https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/samsung-odyssey-vr-headset-microsoft-mixed-reality.10663/page-3#post-160560
    They supposedly fixed a lot of those issues you had but I'm not sure if they fixed them all. One of my friends has an Odyssey and I tried it out and the colors are more vibrant than the Rift but tracking sucked for me as a 6'4 dude as it had a hard time seeing the controllers with my hands down so I had to keep them out in front of me. I didn't really feel like the image was much better than Rift but I felt like I could see things in sims a little better than the Rift. So with the improvements to the +, I will likely grab one and give it a go to play all my seated experiences with.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,362 Valuable Player

B) 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    It lets me preorder one now on samsung's site. They ship November 4th. I'm holding off until I read some hands on reviews but good to know they're shipping very soon. I want to know if the SDE tech is just marketing hype or if it's really clear with a crisp image. 
    edited October 2018
    I do think Samsung makes awesome commercials - in my mind the title of this picture could easily be "how to truly enjoy acts of physical intimacy when you're married to a super-wealthy, repulsive old geezer"  :D

Don't know why, but it's Saturday, and maybe I'm prone to subconscious manipulation, now I can't help thinking about watching this movie again  B)

In case some viewers missed a few details - not sure all are correct, but I do believe there're substance in several interpretations shown in this video:

Kubrick stated that Eyes Wide Shut was his "greatest contribution to the art of cinema" - thus his best film ever, it took many years/decades to make/write, even 400 days just for the shooting (= longest continuous film shoot according to Guinness World Records). Unfortunately - and the fun thing - most viewers including me will probably only scratch the surface of this film - and see it with their eyes more or less wide shut ;-)

There's an 84 page analysis of the movie here:

http://www.jeffreyscottbernstein.com/kubrick/images/Notes_on_EWS.pdf

BTW, first picture is showing the original Odyssey, not the + variant. 

Wintermute
    Alright, you talked me into it. Got one on preorder and did next day delivery. I trust Samsung enough to think that it should at the least be improved over the original. I'll just guinea pig it. Hopefully it's more comfortable than the first odyssey.
    edited October 2018
    pyroth309 said:
    Alright, you talked me into it. Got one on preorder and did next day delivery. I trust Samsung enough to think that it should at the least be improved over the original. I'll just guinea pig it. Hopefully it's more comfortable than the first odyssey.

I'm looking forward to your review, thanks - there are of course several great reasons for the Odyssey+ like Doom VFR, FallOut 4, Skyrim VR and Seeking Dawn - and more:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=104

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,108
    Wintermute
    YoLolo69 said:
    Filling the gap between pixel is easy just by moving quickly the screen in micro movements in all directions. You just have to do like me : bought a big vibrating dildo, a realistic one with a big suction cup, and put it firmly in front of the Rift.

Turn it ON, done.

No, I can't send picture right now ;)

I should have patented the idea...

Sorry, slightly off topic ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Wintermute
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

I'm looking forward to your review, thanks - there are of course several great reasons for the Odyssey+ like Doom VFR, FallOut 4, Skyrim VR and Seeking Dawn - and more:

Yea, and I already own all those. I've got a whole list of games besides those I want it for. I love flight sims and driving games as well as space sims like Elite Dangerous. I just hope the trade off isn't blurriness. 
    edited October 2018
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

Yea, and I already own all those. I've got a whole list of games besides those I want it for. I love flight sims and driving games as well as space sims like Elite Dangerous. I just hope the trade off isn't blurriness. 

I would be surprised if there's more blurriness, I'm more worried about the 80% more pixels. The Vive Pro did increase hardware requirements due to 80 % more pixels - if we compare:

Rift CV1 = 2160x1200 = 2,592,000 pixels
    Vive Pro = 2880x1600 = 4,608,000 pixels
    Odyssey+ = 2880x1600 = 4,608,000 pixels

For enthusiasts using super sampling on the Rift, maybe increased res is not a problem on the Odyssey+ and possibly even an advantage leading to reduced hardware requirements compared to the Rift - this may sound like nonsense, but I'll do my best to explain :-) As shown in this chart concerning pixel density (super sampling), 90 fps on the Odyssey+ (or Vive Pro) may be somewhat equivalent of using super sampling 1.3 or 1.4 on the Rift - thus we're forcing something like 4.4 and 5.1 mill pixels: 

If you got a GTX 1070/1080 or better (and a high-end cpu) it shouldn't be a problem getting solid 90 fps in current VR games when using ss 1.3 or 1.4 on the Rift, and it could be a great advantage if it's possible on the Odyssey+ to stick with the native res, if the anti-SDE does the trick and makes everything look twice the native res or even better (so that native Odyssey+ res may look like ss 2.0 on the Rift or better). In that perspective Odyssey+ could reduce hardware requirements a lot, because I need to use very high levels of super sampling to get super-sharp text on the Rift (like 1.8 or 2.0). Using the GPU-burden equivalent of Rift ss 1.3 or 1.4, while still getting Rift ss 2.0+ image quality or better, would be awesome (and this way could greatly reduce hardware requirements). Even persons using like Rift ss 1.5 or 1.6 may gain both fps and greatly enhanced image quality in VR games using Odyssey+ native res. In short Odyssey+ could reduce hardware requirements if there's no longer any need to burden the GPU with high levels of super sampling like on the Rift.  

But of course we need proper reviews to verify or falsify such assumptions and speculations.

Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    Well, I've used the original Odyssey with a GTX 1060 once as a friend/aquaintance has one and it powered it fine and looked pretty good for the couple of hours i used it. I don't know if he had any supersampling on it.

The text was definitely more legible to my eye than my Rift and I normally use the rift around 1.4-1.5. I just hope the Anti-SDE technique they're using in the plus to light the gaps doesn't introduce any noticeable blurring or weirdness but I'm thinking with that resolution it probably will be too small to really notice. I'm also certain that the "perceived PPI of 1233" is just talking about the SDE reduction effect. 

That all said, below is a good video here that shows Oculus, Vive, Lenovo and the Vive Pro through the lens. No idea what the GPU loading is here between the headsets and it would be more useful if he supersampled them all to match them to the same GPU load to get a more accurate picture since a Rift looks pretty bad at native compared to the newer sets but it shows you how much clearer the Pro's text is and the OG Odyssey is most similar to the Vive Pro I believe. 

The differences vary between games also. The SteamVR Menu shows little difference, but later on Elite Dangerous shows pretty significant. So if the SDE is removed text should really look good on the Odyssey+.

Wintermute
    Also just an obvious statement, Both the Rift and Odyssey look better with my actual eyeballs in real life looking through the lens than that Video portrays. However, that video at least shows you how the pixel arrangements look. Even in my Rift, text up close looks fine. It's flight sims in particular when you're trying to read gauges or small text from farther back or trying to spot a small dot out in the horizon that's it's a big problem and where the Pro/Odyssey's resolution starts to pay dividends.

I also felt like on some of those Vive Pro shots that he didn't have the camera right in the sweet spot as the far edges were kinda blurry. I've heard the Pro has a very small sweet spot though. 

Overall, the differences aren't huge and it's why I never sprung for the original Odyssey or a Vive Pro in the past. 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 840
    3Jane
    Sorry to bring this up again but no matter how nice the new Odyssey + might look, it's still Windows Mixed Reality (WMR).  I suffered with this buggy system for 5 months earlier this year with a Dell headset (which at least came free with my PC on an After-Xmas sale) before seeing the light and getting a Rift. 

Every little Win10 and/or Steam for WMR update seemed to cause WMR problems and Microsoft support was just about useless. Once they (Microsoft Support) told me the fix I needed included disabling my location services which did not help btw.  Steam support was a little better, but often they just blamed Win10. 

So, after trying it again with the latest Win10 1809 update, my WMR is permantly back it its box.  I'd give it away free to someone but I don't dislike anyone enough to pass it onto, lol!
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    I have to admit this looks "sexy", and not even just because of the anti-SDE. (Remains to be seen how this works). But the HMD looks nice, and the vol buttons and the IPD slider also looks well thought out. TBH, to me this looks like what I'd want in a CV1.5
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Sorry to bring this up again but no matter how nice the new Odyssey + might look, it's still Windows Mixed Reality (WMR).  I suffered with this buggy system for 5 months earlier this year with a Dell headset (which at least came free with my PC on an After-Xmas sale) before seeing the light and getting a Rift. 

Every little Win10 and/or Steam for WMR update seemed to cause WMR problems and Microsoft support was just about useless. Once they (Microsoft Support) told me the fix I needed included disabling my location services which did not help btw.  Steam support was a little better, but often they just blamed Win10. 

So, after trying it again with the latest Win10 1809 update, my WMR is permantly back it its box.  I'd give it away free to someone but I don't dislike anyone enough to pass it onto, lol!
    Yea,for sure it's far from perfect. As a Rift owner, I'm buying it to compliment as I can't see WMR tracking replacing all my games. But that's also why I don't plan to pack my Rift up and I expect it to still be used for all my standing experiences. The biggest issue I had with WMR was how clunky it was to use SteamVR and they fixed that with latest windows update. They made it so you can pin all your SteamVR games in the windows house.

On a similar note, people have begun finding the Odyssey+ in the microsoft stores. Here's a guy's initial review of it.

This guy also owns a rift and compares the image like going from 480p to 720p. You really notice when you go back down to 480.

I'm just glad this exists personally because I hate SDE so much and I don't really want to spring for a Pimax at this point. I'd rather wait for them to straighten their mess out for another year and also wait for another generation of Video cards as I feel the 2080Ti isn't worth the money just for RTX and 20% performance. So yea, I'm looking forward to using the odyssey.

*edit* Also people are saying that the text is clearer than the LCD WMR headsets like the Lenovo and Dell (which is sharp but has color issues). That already makes it worth the money to me as it's now best of both worlds in one.
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    flexy123 said:
    I have to admit this looks "sexy", and not even just because of the anti-SDE. (Remains to be seen how this works). But the HMD looks nice, and the vol buttons and the IPD slider also looks well thought out. TBH, to me this looks like what I'd want in a CV1.5
    Yea, i wish I was buying a Rift CV 1.5 over an Odyssey but it is what it is. I'll just skip a few nights at the bar to even things out lol.

Also some sidebyside pics from a user named Jotoku on Reddit -

Hopefully we'll get a through the lens vid soon.
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 276
    Nexus 6
    pyroth309 said: 

On a similar note, people have begun finding the Odyssey+ in the microsoft stores. Here's a guy's initial review of it.

That is very encouraging. He says there is no visible SDE at all.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 840
    3Jane
    pyroth309 said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Yea,for sure it's far from perfect. As a Rift owner, I'm buying it to compliment as I can't see WMR tracking replacing all my games. But that's also why I don't plan to pack my Rift up and I expect it to still be used for all my standing experiences. The biggest issue I had with WMR was how clunky it was to use SteamVR and they fixed that with latest windows update. They made it so you can pin all your SteamVR games in the windows house.

This guy also owns a rift and compares the image like going from 480p to 720p. You really notice when you go back down to 480.

I'm just glad this exists personally because I hate SDE so much and I don't really want to spring for a Pimax at this point. I'd rather wait for them to straighten their mess out for another year and also wait for another generation of Video cards as I feel the 2080Ti isn't worth the money just for RTX and 20% performance. So yea, I'm looking forward to using the odyssey.

*edit* Also people are saying that the text is clearer than the LCD WMR headsets like the Lenovo and Dell (which is sharp but has color issues). That already makes it worth the money to me as it's now best of both worlds in one.
    I hope WMR works out ok for you mate.  Even with the latest win10 1809 update my Dell headset would go black-screen after a few minutes of play.  My rift has never done this.  That's why my Dell headset is back in the box.  Quite a few users seem happy with WMR so maybe it depends on your PC and mine just does not like WMR but loves the Rift. 

With proper settings I do not notice any significant SDE with my Rift.  Probably some are more sensitive to this (and IPD).  Anyway, good luck and please let us know how you make out.  Thanks.

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!