cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Stuttering

bsselp
Protege
So went in to play some Rift yesterday for the first time in a while and suddenly noticed that in the Home screen, when I turn my head right or left, there's a pretty noticeable stuttering effect of the image. It also happens when moving my head up or down, but not as much. I repositioned and reset all of the 3 cameras and went through the entire setup process multiple times and the same thing is happening. I read elsewhere that MSI Afterburner could be causing the issues so I uninstalled that and no change. I tried playing a few games and the same thing. Noticeable stutter when moving my head. I have an Nvidia gtx1080. Could this be an issue with their latest driver release? It really makes the Rift almost unplayable.
62 REPLIES 62

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
Well, the main point when going back with NVidia drivers ist that you cannot use the new Home-Screen, but have to use the "classic" Home-Screen. This option can be chosen from the options menu. Other than that, I didn't encounter any issues. But I don't have a lot of games installed anyway.

However, being a VR dev, I can tell you that the latest version of Unreal Engine (4.19) not only runs on older NVidia drivers, but performs even better.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

ThatRacer1000
Honored Guest
I Have an Arch Angles Cyber Tech gaming computer with a GTX1080ti and it seem that when in iracing i get major frame rate lag or something. not my network because without the oculus it works flawless. tryed all the driver yall have sayed work and nothing and have tryed all settings and nothing helps

ThatRacer1000
Honored Guest
I Have an Arch Angles Cyber Tech gaming computer with a GTX1080ti and it seem that when in iracing i get major frame rate lag or something. not my network because without the oculus it works flawless. 

ThatRacer1000
Honored Guest
I Have an Arch Angles Cyber Tech gaming computer with a GTX1080ti and it seem that when in iracing i get major frame rate lag or something. not my network because without the oculus it works flawless. 

iNeoTroniC
Honored Guest
Just solved my stuttering issues! I know this won't work for everyone but I wanted to share this with my VR fellas...
I just switched from a Z77 Asus Hero VI board with a 4770k to a Z390 Asus Hero XI board with a 9900k. After disabling all power saving stuff on my old Z77 board I had no issues with the Oculus at all, even with all the ASUS stuff up and runnning (AI Suite aso). Build new PC, installed Win10 and updated all drivers, tested VR, stuttering after arround 5min when moving the head... Awesome I thought, Z390 not compatible with Rift...?! Did all "standard" procedures, which means reinstalling Oculus, switched USB ports arround, tested older nVidia drivers, checked temps, nothing worked. After 2 days of a mixture of panic/angry/sad mode I was about to give up... Entered VR, played about 10min, stuttering starts, checking tasks in task manager while in VR using Virtual Desktop: Found a service called LightningService using 2% CPU. Stopped the task and stuttering gone instantly!!! LightningService is part of Asus Aura and manages the color animation effects of these shiny RGB leds, if set to rainbow for example. If I set a static color in Asus Aura or stopped the task before playing in VR all stuttering was gone. On my old system I had Asus Aura up and running all the time, too. But I always set this to a static color, never to a color animation. So constantly changing the color of Asus Aura hardware causes stuttering in VR, at least in my case...

FishNChisps
Explorer
I have a solution but I am not very good with explaining stuff and I am afraid of you guys judging my grammars and stuff like that so here's a video that I posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUR8W8cNGLw if you have any questions leave it down in the comments

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I will give this a look as i am having a minor issues with Dirt Rally, nothing massive though, just some weird issue whereas the screen moves with my head direction somewhat, so if i turn my head left the whole screen will turn left with me somewhat before it stops, and the same with any direction i move my head, but i will figure it out, and it is always worth checking out stuff like this in case you stumble on a fix or answer.   😉

And do not worry about your grammer and spelling, mine are both atrocious at times.  😞 

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

FishNChisps
Explorer
I AM SO SORRY IF THE OTHER ONE DIDN'T WORK I made a new tutorial tho, sorry if it's boring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y689LSzWov0

PickleSteve666
Honored Guest
There maybe a simple fix for all of yall. It could be asynchronous reprojection. Try holding right ctrl and pressing 1 on the number pad. I have to do this everytime i start up oculus app. 🙂

RitoARE
Honored Guest
Hey guys, I fixed the stuttering 100%!
I deleted all the sh$% yall told me to. None of that worked. Might have to redownload corsair link and suit if I miss them...
Anyways, my upgraded pc came with an app called Asus GPU Tweak II. The app has this button called the "Gaming Booster". Never in a million years did I think something with the "GAMER" option work, but IT DID!!!
(There's probably an easier thing to do because all it does is shut down background processes, clear cache, and some other thing, but this was simple enough for me)