cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

pyroth309
Visionary

One way to do the second is to grab my Oculus Monitor tool: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69471/oculus-monitor
It has a slider for pixel density that tells you the Oculus calculated res and the megapixel size. 🙂

It's a clean multiplier from the 1.0 res though. For example density 2.0 is double the 1.0 res on both axes

I haven't ever looked at SteamVR SS to see what it's doing. I should check it out.

Oh wow, I never knew about your Monitor tool, I will have to check that out when I get home this evening. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Jotaku posted some through the lens. Top screen is the Plus, bottom is the old Odyssey. 

The top image doesn't look sharper than the bottom one, to me the bottom picture looks *much* sharper (even my wife mentioned that). As I've said in an earlier post, this could of course be due to the camera and the HMD lens distorting the light and causing blur. I can't imagine Samsung would state 1,233 ppi if the Odyssey+ didn't look much sharper than the original Odyssey. 

Then again - maybe the black spaces between lines are where the visual cortex in our brains make up something beautiful. Our visual cortex works much like a giant computer, it only needs 4 points to make a square, no matter if you want to see the square or not (that's why we can create illusions to fool the brain). Thus our visual cortex constructs images in our consciousness out of limited sensory information. I do wonder if the SDE in CV1 affects the visual cortex making us perceive sharper images than without the SDE. Like the scanlines I've mentioned before - like this:

ywvzbmxkcqzl.jpg
pe5ppj7vfoih.jpg

And:

w00tmla4xrma.png

vs.:

z5zm9ue0dmq6.jpg

Personally I prefer the images with scanlines, the pixels become much too noticeable without scanlines (I did read a similar observation from a Vive Pro owner mentioning that he could start to notice the pixels in images much like in pancake games). I wonder if the SDE creates the perception of a higher/sharper res than the CV1 has on paper. My primary concern with the total removal of the SDE is if the image quality becomes too pixelated (which of course won't happen if the res is high enough - and maybe it's high enough on the Odyssey+ if the res truly works like 1,233 ppi). 

I grew up with the old arcade machines on CRT screens, I've always felt that CV1 gave me back some of that magic - although it was quite annoying when watching movies. 

Note that this post is not to defend the SDE, it's just to provide a perspective that may or may not explain why the image from the Odyssey+ could look less sharp than the image from the original Odyssey. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Lol been playing retro games with the kids on the Nintendo mini today, ahhh such fun, the original Zelda brings back hours of fun memories but its bad when a 4 year old says the screen looks a mess  😄
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm inclined to believe the guy when he says it looks better than the original Odyssey as he owns both. Plus he posted this of him watching a movie and it looks good. This clarity will be worth it for the Pron alone! 

https://imgur.com/a/YXRAc4u

Looks plenty sharp enough to me here. What is bothering me though is the rings are pretty visible. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

I'm inclined to believe the guy when he says it looks better than the original Odyssey as he owns both. Plus he posted this of him watching a movie and it looks good. This clarity will be worth it for the Pron alone! 

https://imgur.com/a/YXRAc4u

Looks plenty sharp enough to me here. What is bothering me though is the rings are pretty visible. 

Agreed, the quality does look nice/great. Then we just need a blu-ray 3D VR player (so I can watch my bd 3d discs in VR without having to re-encode - that would be awesome!)

LZoltowski
Champion
Yeah of concern here are the rings, reduced but not eliminated god rays (the GO lenses are the best ones I have seen on any headset so far, including the PSVR ones, there may be no god rays on psvr but they have an odd quality to them)

Also, chromatic aberration is visible?

Imagine this screen with GO lenses!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

pyroth309
Visionary
I asked him about the rings and he replied with this.

I notice the rings in these pics pretty prominently. Is that how it is to you when watching?

[–]Jotoku[S] 1 point just now 

Not
while you are watching it. The camera is not ideally align to give the
most accurate look. There are rings just like the Vive and Odyssey

So yea, I am back to my original plan of letting my order go through and using this until another generation of Video cards come out then I'll see what's happening with Pimax/CV2/whatever and jump up big. It at least solves that question about the perceived resolution. Nothing is going to solve that except more resolution lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just like anything else you get used to it and it becomes no longer there.
I see no screen door effect in my Rift.
I don't see a door neither. What door?

If you bought one would it be possible to launch all your Oculus Store Games? I guess it just needs them placed in its directory?

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
whats happening with the blur is the pixel light is getting caught on something when its traveling through the screen used to reduce sde.

pyroth309 said:

the top picture is the one with the reduced sde, look at how much dimmer it is compared to the bottom one.

now look at the same picture a piece of enlarged 500 percent, look the the left picture to see no sde and the right one to see sde, and look at the left one to see the colors in the middle blending;

qdpglwzi1z7z.jpg

why its blurry is the screen used to stop sde is not stopping the light from pixels blending into adjacent screen. this makes the pixel light touching other pixel light absorbed if the light isnt white, which reduces the brightness of the color and makes the color more washed out.

if they used my idea the pixel light would be kept in its own part of the screen and would be crisp and colorful.

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea if you don't think the first picture is blurrier you should go see an Optometrist lol. It immediately looked blurry to me which is why I kept digging for answers. I wonder how supersampling will look with the blurring. It might look even worse

I imagine even a blurred image at the higher Odyssey resolution will still look better than the Rift does but that's still the dilemma i'm struggling with. I want a headset for simming and I'm kind of skeptical at this point that a blurred image is going to be better for small text. On the flip side, I have to spend more than 3k to roll with pimax and wont' have it for at least 3 months and probably more than 6 lol. I wish someone would throw up a through the lens video. Doesn't seem the youtube crowd has gotten one yet.

The concentric circles also seem like they would be irritating. I didn't personally notice them in the time I tried a Vive but I wasn't looking for them either.