cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between DK2 and Consumer Rift?

ScoutZR
Explorer
I'll start this off by saying that I am super broke, but that I want to make my girl's birthday memorable.

Consumer Rift costs $400 while I can find a DK2 for $250.

Is there any real difference between the two? She literally only wants to play ONE game, Raw Data with multiplayer, so I need two sets.
I can save a lot of money by getting two DK2's... will Raw Data work on the DK2's? is there really any difference?
Also, will the DK2's also run on minimum specs?

Please help this budget gaming family.
13 REPLIES 13

Techy111
MVP
MVP
What are your pc specs ? Whilst you can get the dk2 running it has zero support now from Oculus. If you can then get a CV1. Also bear in mind you'll need 2 pc's to run 2 rifts and then 2 games.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

ScoutZR
Explorer
My computer is running at just barely the minimum new specs that Oculus released (I just need to get a little bit more RAM, waiting for my delivery), I'm buying used parts from eBay to upgrade it to meet these specs.

So it WILL run Raw Data?

Techy111 said:

What are your pc specs ? Whilst you can get the dk2 running it has zero support now from Oculus. If you can then get a CV1. Also bear in mind you'll need 2 pc's to run 2 rifts and then 2 games.

Also, what do you mean by no support? Basically if something goes wrong, they won't fix it? I'm buying used, so I won't have a warranty anyway.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Dk2 was the development kit so no, zero repairs and zero support. Cv1 is your best option with a 1060 or 970 card 16 gig of ram and a fairly good cpu plus loads of usb 3.0 slots or a usb hub.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You won't be able to play any games that use motion controls (most games out now) because Touch only works with the consumer Rift. Really, there is no reason to buy a DK2 at this point, not a good idea.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

nosys70
Expert Protege

well, you can get my DK2 for a lot less than 250$ with lot of options...

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

ScoutZR said:

Techy111 said:

Also, what do you mean by no support? Basically if something goes wrong, they won't fix it? I'm buying used, so I won't have a warranty anyway.

Yes, if something goes wrong there are no replacement parts.  It may suddenly stop working because they will not continue to ensure that new driver and software releases work with it.  Most new games cannot be guaranteed to work with it.  Touch controllers will not work with it.  The DK2 does not have a microphone or headphones.

The CV1 is fairly inexpensive and FAR better than the DK2, there is no good reason to actually pay money for a DK2.  (Unless you're a collector, then that's cool.)

cybereality
Grand Champion
Sorry, to be clear, Raw Data uses motions controls so won't work with DK2. You need Rift + Touch.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

kojack
MVP
MVP
Support was only guaranteed until the end of 2016 if I remember correctly (it was a developer kit, not a consumer product, Oculus wouldn't want developers using outdated hardware to develop software). While the current Oculus environment still works on the DK2, support could be dropped at any time. Every time an update comes out (which you can't skip), there's a chance all DK2s will stop.

As to actual feature differences, the DK2 has:
- lower resolution (960x1080 per eye, vs 1080x1200 on the CV1)
- worse tracking (a single narrower view camera, vs 2-4 cameras on the CV1)
- no hand controllers
- no built in sound
- no microphone
- no 360 head tracking. The CV1 has tracking lights on the back of your head, the DK2 doesn't. Combined with only a single camera, that means turning away from the front with a DK2 means it can't track you.

The hand controller part is the biggest problem. A lot of Oculus software now requires Touch controllers, but it is physically impossible to use them with a DK2 (it doesn't have the wireless hardware inside that Touch needs).

The DK2 is certainly cheaper as a VR headset, but it may also become a very expensive paperweight as less software is usable (due to lack of hand controllers) and the Oculus runtime may drop it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I wouldn't sell my DK2 to anyone now, not just because it belongs in my personal little museum of tech,

….but because in all good conscience, I couldn't recommend anyone actually buy it.