cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well you know what the ladies say:

Once you go VR you never go flat lol 

Flat gaming is dead to me since I got my Rift two years ago. It's a bit like riding on a rusty old push bike after driving around in a Porshe lol 😮 😄

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@bigmike20vt - Have you tried the Helix mods for 3D gaming? There's a lot of games there you can play in 3D, I've played a few in Nvidia 3D vision and they were good..

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/10/game-list-automatically-updated.html

Edit: Yeah, I used to play DCS World a lot on a monitor, but I could never play that or other flight Sims outside of VR now. The scale just totally puts me off with flight sim outside of VR, but I think I could manage things like Metro and the Witcher.

Seriously, if VR failed now it would ruin my life and I would have to find a new hobby. Maybe take up something like Paintballing or another action packed hobby where I'm there. VR puts you in the game and that would be hard to replace. I just wish there were more AAA games on the way soon.. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Bigmike have you played any hdr 4k games. Such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Currently enjoying Red Dead redemption 2 4k hdr on xbox o n e x. Really lovely looking games on my 49" ks7000/8000 (cost about a grand).

Rizla having choices is always good. What more can I say. We all got by before vr became a thing. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

Thought I better ask because there's Steam sale coming and I don't want to add more games to my library that I'll never play. I was just debating whether or not to try Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light, just to see if I can get back into it. Any of you played Metro 2033/ Metro Last Light, or would I be best with a game like The Witcher that everyone raves about? That's the last game I purchased on Steam and I haven't even looked at it yet.. Cheers!

@bigmike20vt - So a 70" screen that is probably the size of one of my walls does get you more immersed? I thought my problem was been able to see the sides of the television..

Both Metros are really good. 2033 is a bit more clunky as it's a very old game at this point but it sets  good foundation. They're like thriller shooters but they have a good story and great graphics. (Get the Redux versions). I've been chomping at the bit for Metro Exodus for years now lol.

I also agree with those above that a Curved Ultrawide is probably as close as you can get to VR but it still wont' live up. I still play flat gaming at least 50% of the time because of friends.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

pyroth309 said:

RedRizla said:

Thought I better ask because there's Steam sale coming and I don't want to add more games to my library that I'll never play. I was just debating whether or not to try Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light, just to see if I can get back into it. Any of you played Metro 2033/ Metro Last Light, or would I be best with a game like The Witcher that everyone raves about? That's the last game I purchased on Steam and I haven't even looked at it yet.. Cheers!

@bigmike20vt - So a 70" screen that is probably the size of one of my walls does get you more immersed? I thought my problem was been able to see the sides of the television..

Both Metros are really good. 2033 is a bit more clunky as it's a very old game at this point but it sets  good foundation. They're like thriller shooters but they have a good story and great graphics. (Get the Redux versions). I've been chomping at the bit for Metro Exodus for years now lol.

I also agree with those above that a Curved Ultrawide is probably as close as you can get to VR but it still wont' live up. I still play flat gaming at least 50% of the time because of friends.

@pyroth309 -  I picked up the Redux versions before seeing your post. I already own the older version but the Redux versions are on sale in Steam for £7.49. Sounds like a real bargain and I just did a YouTube search and see that the Redux versions look much better.

What type of game is this? Do you collect things for weapons and things or do you just shoot your way through levels?

pyroth309
Visionary
You shoot your way through but you can purchase things/upgrade your weapons at the towns between stages and pick up stuff/weapons along the way. It's a story based shooter.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Metro is an FPS, but it very much has a survival horror aspect to it. Especially the first one, you will be starved for bullets and you have to make every shot count. You can search around in lockers and stuff to find more bullets, and then use the bullets to buy better weapons. The same developers made Arktika.1 and it's in a kind of similar universe. Definitely check that out too in VR if you haven't already.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

pyroth309
Visionary

Metro is an FPS, but it very much has a survival horror aspect to it. Especially the first one, you will be starved for bullets and you have to make every shot count. You can search around in lockers and stuff to find more bullets, and then use the bullets to buy better weapons. The same developers made Arktika.1 and it's in a kind of similar universe. Definitely check that out too in VR if you haven't already.

Cyber summed it up better lol. Been a few years since I've played the Metros and was trying to remember its mechanics and not cross it up with all the other games i've played since.

pyroth309
Visionary
Anyway, the reason Metro is one of my favorite series is the story and the atmosphere. It takes place in a post apocalyptic Russia. The Sky is scorched and the survivors are all underground in the Metro tunnels as the surface isn't breathable. You play as a guy named Artyom who is a young survivor. Not going to get into specifics beyond that or ruin anything but, the storytelling and the environments kept me on the edge of my seat for most of the game which is why I used the term Thriller. Survival horror is a better description. It's slower paced than a lot of games so it's not for everyone but I consider both games to be masterworks. 4A games does a great job of conveying the desperation of the situation. The gunplay and the mechanics were a lot less memorable to me than the story and what was taking place.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Bigmike have you played any hdr 4k games. Such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Currently enjoying Red Dead redemption 2 4k hdr on xbox o n e x. Really lovely looking games on my 49" ks7000/8000 (cost about a grand).

Rizla having choices is always good. What more can I say. We all got by before vr became a thing. 

HDR is very nice...... infact i would say HDR is far more an obvious jump than the jump to 4K.  i dont have many HDR games........ 

Horizon ZD, Shadow of the colossuss and i think Last of us remastered are 3 i have tried.   i probably have a few other HDR titles on PS4.........
i dont have many on pc tho, its a shame MS decided to hold back HDR on gears of war 4 on PC.  i suppose they had to give the xbox1 X something unique... but it is still lame to artificially hold back games like that.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂