cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

ohgrant
Superstar
 I've been refusing to game in 2D for decades. I use a 3D DLP projector and Tridef for most face forward games. Flight sims/racing. I had a huge HD TV given to me that I'm replacing with an old IZ3D just so I can experience their 3D game driver again. 
 Those Metro games sound interesting, I may try those. If you weren't aware there is a 3rd party software that renders desktop games to 3D and many games to full VR with touch. Called VorpX, I haven't tried any Metro games with it, but there are game profiles for Metro 2033, Metro Last night and Metro Redux. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

pyroth309
Visionary
Some trailers for your enjoyment. Watch on highest res possible.

Redux:

Upcoming Exodus -

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Thought I better ask because there's Steam sale coming and I don't want to add more games to my library that I'll never play. I was just debating whether or not to try Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light, just to see if I can get back into it. Any of you played Metro 2033/ Metro Last Light, or would I be best with a game like The Witcher that everyone raves about? That's the last game I purchased on Steam and I haven't even looked at it yet.. Cheers!

@bigmike20vt - So a 70" screen that is probably the size of one of my walls doesn't get you more immersed? I thought my problem was been able to see the sides of the television..

I have both games, I think I've spent a few hours playing them, then I lost interest (Metro 2033 has that strange Russian feeling to the design, not sure I'm fond of it - then I'd rather play Arktika.1 made by the same team). I do have a large Samsung plasma with only 16 ms. input lag in pc mode - but it doesn't matter. In pancake games you're outside the game no matter what you do, in VR you're inside. I've more or less completely lost interest in pancake games. I even bought Battlefield 1 and Rise of the Tomb Raider last Christmas, waste of money - although I get perfect 60 fps using ultra settings, these games are just beyond boring - compared to my VR games  B)

(It's because the brain activation and dopamine flow are so much higher in VR - who wants caffeine when you can pure cocaine? Yes, now I've said it :blush: ) 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

I have both games, I think I've spent a few hours playing them, then I lost interest (Metro 2033 has that strange Russian feeling to the design, not sure I'm fond of it - then I'd rather play Arktika.1 made by the same team). I do have a large Samsung plasma with only 16 ms. input lag in pc mode - but it doesn't matter. In pancake games you're outside the game no matter what you do, in VR you're inside. I've more or less completely lost interest in pancake games.

Fair enough. I am a big fan of the old S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game series and some of the devs that worked on those games formed 4A games. So for me, I felt right at home. I will say Last light had more action than 2033 did. 2033 was a darker and slower paced experience.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - I'm usually capable of making my own decisions in life, but you've just made me feel like I hate playing games on a screen again. Just when others were convincing me it's still good to play on a monitor. Please tell me it's great to play on a monitor 😄

@ohgrant - I thought Tridef had stopped supporting 3D games along time ago? I know you can play Metro with Tridef, but with newer games I thought they didn't support them anymore? I have a Optoma GT 1080 Darbee projector, but how do you get it to play games in 3D, if they aren't made in for 3D? I might start playing them on my projector if I know how to get none 3D games working in 3D?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Please tell me it's great to play on a monitor 😄

Of course, if you insist: it's great to play on a monitor!  o:)

Billedresultat for pinocchio nose animated gif

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
The advantage of pancake gaming is the games. I don't think you need a bigger TV to take your decision : either you want to play some games that are available only on 2D so you play on your normal TV, or you don't care about the pancake games so you stick to VR. Having a bigger TV or not wouldn't weight a lot on the balance ^^.

Personally, I gave up on 2D games a long time ago. Pressing buttons for every single action gets very old. The same for the complete automation of many actions (like pulling the pin out of the grenade, automatic in pancake games ; or the famous QTE scenes, which are closer to cutscenes rather than actual gameplay sessions).
VR is the thing that got me back into gaming because it transforms so many genres. I always hated sim games, but since I got into VR I bought a wheel and a HOTAS and spend a lot of time on E:D and Assetto Corsa. I can't play Guitar Hero anymore since I played Beat Saber. Age of Empire got quickly boring after I bought Brass Tactics. I have a lot more fun on FPS games like Onward or the Battle Royale of Rec Room than on Battlefield or COD.

I wouldn't say 2D gaming is dead though. Many games can't or won't work in VR, so for those who like these games, 2D gaming is the way to go.

LZoltowski
Champion

pyroth309 said:

Some trailers for your enjoyment. Watch on highest res possible.

Redux:

Upcoming Exodus -

Metro games are awesome, had the privilege of playing Exodus at a games conference for 30 mins, it's beautiful, terrifying and I am super excited for it.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

The advantage of pancake gaming is the games. I don't think you need a bigger TV to take your decision : either you want to play some games that are available only on 2D so you play on your normal TV, or you don't care about the pancake games so you stick to VR. Having a bigger TV or not wouldn't weight a lot on the balance ^^.

Personally, I gave up on 2D games a long time ago. Pressing buttons for every single action gets very old. The same for the complete automation of many actions (like pulling the pin out of the grenade, automatic in pancake games ; or the famous QTE scenes, which are closer to cutscenes rather than actual gameplay sessions).
VR is the thing that got me back into gaming because it transforms so many genres. I always hated sim games, but since I got into VR I bought a wheel and a HOTAS and spend a lot of time on E:D and Assetto Corsa. I can't play Guitar Hero anymore since I played Beat Saber. Age of Empire got quickly boring after I bought Brass Tactics. I have a lot more fun on FPS games like Onward or the Battle Royale of Rec Room than on Battlefield or COD.

I wouldn't say 2D gaming is dead though. Many games can't or won't work in VR, so for those who like these games, 2D gaming is the way to go.

I see where you're coming from with just pressing buttons instead of doing the actions like you would in VR, but I've never really looked it at like this because I think the action on a screen creates the illusion you are doing these actions. Hard to explain what I mean really, but when I play a game on a monitor I don't think I'm just pressing buttons, I feel like I'm controlling the character and the character is me depending on my immersion. With VR you become the character instantly, but you could easily tell yourself you are not the character like you can on a monitor. You're not really holding a riffle in Onward, it's just an illusion. It's bit like the illusion people get when they are controlling a character and pull out a gun on a monitor. They feel it is they that have pulled out the gun even on a screen.

Obviously a screen also looks much better then VR for reasons we all know about, so just taken in the scenery is also nice on a monitor while it drags you into a story like reading a book. Unfortunately, I am not able to play on a 27 " monitor though and I can't be certain what puts me off doing this. I found playing on a 42" television much better and this is why I wonder if I go bigger if it will help more..

Now if nobody understands what the hell I'm talking about, I can only apologise 😄

jayhawk
Superstar
When I was using the DK2 I swore I'd never play flat screen gaming again. Now that's all I do. I'm entirely bored with VR, I've got like 6 games I've bought and never played. Doubt I'll really have much to do with it again until gen2. I do still like to read forums and articles though.