cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

jayhawk said:

When I was using the DK2 I swore I'd never play flat screen gaming again. Now that's all I do. I'm entirely bored with VR, I've got like 6 games I've bought and never played. Doubt I'll really have much to do with it again until gen2. I do still like to read forums and articles though.

What games you into? There's dozens of great games to play right now.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

ohgrant
Superstar

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - I'm usually capable of making my own decisions in life, but you've just made me feel like I hate playing games on a screen again. Just when others were convincing me it's still good to play on a monitor. Please tell me it's great to play on a monitor 😄

@ohgrant - I thought Tridef had stopped supporting 3D games along time ago? I know you can play Metro with Tridef, but with newer games I thought they didn't support them anymore? I have a Optoma GT 1080 Darbee projector, but how do you get it to play games in 3D, if they aren't made in for 3D? I might start playing them on my projector if I know how to get none 3D games working in 3D?

Tridef main product was their 3D ignition driver. That was supported until the end. Unfortunately, Tridef closed the store about a month in a half ago. Looks like Tridef is as dead as IZ3D.  When my motherboard goes, my lifetime license for Tridef dies with it.  

What you should do next depends on your video card. If you have a Nvidia card. Their native 3D driver is probably the most advanced and has been in constant development since they acquired it from 3D FX many moons ago. If your projector is not on the list of supported list, you may have to mod a DVI adapter removing a few pins.Let me know if that the route you want to try and I'll dig that info up.

I think you can still download the 14 day free trial of Tridef. https://www.tridef.com/download ; .For Radeon's, you can go HDMI out direct, but you have to have the Tridef driver set to AMD for that. The 3D driver should then just auto launch as 3D when you run it through the Tridef CP. I get better 3D results by going DVI out and setting the driver to Side by Side and manually invoke the driver in the projector.  

Another driver that you can try but is also no longer available for purchase is IZ3D. They supported DX 8-11. Also set the driver in side by side on this one. https://3dgeeks.com/files_details/iz3d_driver.html

As far as they aren't made for 3D. All accelerated graphics games are theoretically 3D ready. Here are some examples.

With the IZ3D driver
Far Cry https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlejw6858d7h2sb/FarCry%20%230016.jps?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6a6oqa2rjclb6y/FarCry%20%230017.jps?dl=0

Half-Life2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mp9ep2yjahhgj7/Half-Life%202%20%230011.jps?dl=0

Vampire the Masquerade https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzymtkfnegxk34d/vampire%20%230000.jps?dl=0

This was from the old nVidia 3D consumer driver. The last of the original X-wing Tie series. X-Wing Alliance.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4x4tvsk71s2wt5/XWingAlliance11_50.jps?dl=0

You can view these in 3D using Big Screen or Virtual desktop. Set to side by side. You may have to invert/swap eyes on the A-Wing one. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That would be sad if the TriDef driver is really dead. It was nice quality and worked on all GPUs. Though, to be honest, I rarely play with 3D glasses anymore, except sometimes for watching 3D Blu-Rays.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

jayhawk
Superstar

jayhawk said:

When I was using the DK2 I swore I'd never play flat screen gaming again. Now that's all I do. I'm entirely bored with VR, I've got like 6 games I've bought and never played. Doubt I'll really have much to do with it again until gen2. I do still like to read forums and articles though.

What games you into? There's dozens of great games to play right now.

I actually like the more in depth sit down types, like Chronos. My best VR experience is still Alien Isolation, and it wasn't even official lol. I've been gaming for 3 decades that has always involved sitting, I'm still kind of into sitting. One of my biggest issues with VR is it really didn't go the direction I was hoping it would. I want to still play all those flat screen AAA titles, but in VR. VR still gets ignored.

Anonymous
Not applicable
With VR you become the character instantly, but you could easily tell yourself you are not the character like you can on a monitor. You're not really holding a riffle in Onward, it's just an illusion.
You could, but not as easily as on 2D gaming ^^'. In VR you are synchronized with the character (at least a bit). In 2D, you're not in sync at all. Whatever is on the right of your character is not on your own right. Whatever awesome super stylish action your character does, you don't do it yourself.
In the case of Onward, you may not be holding an actual rifle, but you do hold something (the controllers), in the position you would be with a real rifle. You're not sitting on your couch in the middle of a war.

Unfortunately, I am not able to play on a 27 " monitor though and I can't be certain what puts me off doing this.

Of course it's all down to your own opinion ^^. If small screens are really something you can't stand, a bigger screen will help you. But in any other case, changing the screen size won't help much as it doesn't really change the situation.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

With VR you become the character instantly, but you could easily tell yourself you are not the character like you can on a monitor. You're not really holding a riffle in Onward, it's just an illusion.
You could, but not as easily as on 2D gaming ^^'. In VR you are synchronized with the character (at least a bit). In 2D, you're not in sync at all. Whatever is on the right of your character is not on your own right. Whatever awesome super stylish action your character does, you don't do it yourself.
In the case of Onward, you may not be holding an actual rifle, but you do hold something (the controllers), in the position you would be with a real rifle. You're not sitting on your couch in the middle of a war.

Unfortunately, I am not able to play on a 27 " monitor though and I can't be certain what puts me off doing this.

Of course it's all down to your own opinion ^^. If small screens are really something you can't stand, a bigger screen will help you. But in any other case, changing the screen size won't help much as it doesn't really change the situation.

You are synced with your hands and head in VR, but in games like Onward your body can be sticking out from a corner when you think you are in cover. Unless you have full body tracking that's hardly realistic, but VR does do a good job of creating the illusion that you are the character still. Playing a game on a monitor is a bit like reading a book, but you're looking at a screen instead and taken part in the story. 

You are also not doing any "super stylish action" in VR. You are basically just swinging or moving your arms around while pressing buttons or pulling a trigger. Some of the time it's not even the same movements your character is doing on screen. Try playing Creed Boxing for example where you rabbit punch high above your head, but your character on screen is doing something different with his arms. It's the same with Onward to a degree where your body is doing something different to what you are doing in real life. Only full body tracking would fix this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's why I said you're partially in sync ^^. It's still more than in 2D gaming, where you're not in sync at all. 10% sync is still more than 0% sync...

You're not doing the complex actions in VR for now. But it's not a limit inherent to the concept of VR. In a few years, when we have full body tracking (like you said), we will get to do the awesome stuff. The immersion in VR will keep improving, whereas the immersion in 2D gaming has reached its limit a long time ago.
They did try to make it more immersive, that's the very reason behind motion gaming. But as much as I loved motion gaming, it was not immersive without VR.

Also, there's no debating about the visual immersion of VR compared to 2D. Perspective + real-scale + wider FOV + no visual contact with the real environment = 2D can go home.

But hey, nothing better than experimentation to prove a point ^^. Try and play Skyrim both in pancake and in VR, and see if VR isn't more immersive. Facing a dragon in 2D is nothing like facing it in VR. Facing a dragon in Skyrim was very cool, facing it in Skyrim VR was jaw-dropping.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Does a FreeSync television work with a Nvidia graphics card even though it's Amd tech? Just seen and excellent 4k television that has FreeSync and a 120Hz refresh rate if I choose to use 1440 or 1080p. It's the Samsung 55" NU 8000, which can even run proper HDR and all this for £770..

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, FreeSync only works on AMD cards.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

bigmike20vt
Visionary

No, FreeSync only works on AMD cards.

I believe you can hack it, so long as you have a freesync device in your pc you can get your Nvidia card to do it
 Google for exact details but any lower end and card will do or even onboard I believe. The machine just has to detect the AMD device

www.pcworld.com/article/3300167/components-graphics/amd-freesync-on-nvidia-geforce-graphics.amp.html
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂