cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

i made a few adjustments to get rid of god rays and changed transparent to translucent from this post, fyi;

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/648153/#Comment_648153

tl;dr

just made the screen to erase sde from one piece of glass leading from a single pixel, the glass is larger at the end, so paint the sides of the glass white to reflect light, and on one side of the glass make it a translucent tint dark blue or black and shine a light through it to help the light from the pixel go through the glass.

and for god rays and visible lens circles, its diffused light from the lcd, refocus the light to get rid of the effect in unwanted areas of the screen, the part of the screen its sent too you can add in a tint to get rid of the glow.

ShocksVR
Superstar
Hows the sweet spot ? (viewable area without having to move your head, only looking around by moving your eyes).
I hear it's pretty bad on the Odyssey+, worse than the Rift.

Whereas on my Oculus GO (which features the new Oculus lenses), the sweet spot is much LARGER than the RIft.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

pyroth309
Visionary
From what I've read is that it is worse than Rift but better than Vive and the + is a little better than the OG Odyssey. It's a problem if you wear glasses apparently though as it leads to blurring along the sides because your eyes aren't close enough. Main negative I keep seeing repeated from everyone is the fit of it is bad. Depending on the size/shape of your head and face, it can be a real pain to get the headset comfortable which is pretty inexcusable considering this is an improvement over an already crappy fit of the OG. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

From what I've read is that it is worse than Rift but better than Vive and the + is a little better than the OG Odyssey. It's a problem if you wear glasses apparently though as it leads to blurring along the sides because your eyes aren't close enough. Main negative I keep seeing repeated from everyone is the fit of it is bad. Depending on the size/shape of your head and face, it can be a real pain to get the headset comfortable which is pretty inexcusable considering this is an improvement over an already crappy fit of the OG. 

Exactly - I did watch the VR roundtable yesterday. So it seems the display is awesome, and that the main problem is ergonomics. I'm using glasses inside the HMD, so ergonomics could be a real deal breaker - also caused by the lack of ability to tilt the HMD on your face (Rift HMD can be tilted up/down a few degrees to make a perfect fit, Odyssey+ is firm/rigid). Then again other users are happy with the ergonomics on Odyssey+, but it may depend on your skull's shape and size 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

a pixel is made up of three different colored lights, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue.
so i can see you taking that 1 pixel and adding to what it is sending light too, but theres a problem when you try to get two different colors from the pixel.

c3jdr5x5h3jx.jpg

the rgb combine to make one color, so you need two sets of rgb to make two colors, and two different colors = 2 pixels.

Yes, I know how RGB works - this was just a markup - but the brown in this case would be a collection of all the pixels that make up that one color -> forward to micro mirrors grid array and then to your eyes. This should work for full RGB and Pentile type screens depending on how the pixels are setup.

tdg1app5iusd.png
Hell you could even allow a mix of colors between the array grid micro mirrors and effectively still allow for blacks and colors while removing SDE all together by bending the light between the two grids. This would effectively give you 0 black lines and no SDE at all. The only downside is the image would look soften (not blurry) - but should be only noticeable when comparing between images. Idk - it seems like we can already do this and this is just a micro upgrade to the real problem of how can we get more information into the sense to allow more scaling of the image/aka make it sharper with more detail.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
you seem to have lost me. but i gather the pixel is sending light to a screen that has an angled tip directly above the pixel. the screen above the pixel would work like a bi-convex lens or magnifying glass so you wouldn't need any light source.

that wouldn't work, i thought about what would happen if you put a magnifying glass in-between the rift screen and current rift lenses.

if the rift lenses are shaped similar to the gear vr lenses, their shaped like like bi-convex lenses or magnifying glasses.
then by adding a second magnifying glass, the picture would be incredibly zoomed in.

if you took the light from the pixel and sent it into a bi-convex shape, the light would become smaller = more sde.

the rift needs a magnifying glass in-between the rift screen and rift lenses, to remove the appearance of the Fresnel lens circles and god rays. but putting two magnifying glasses side by side wouldn't work, you need to add in bi-concave lenses to separate the two magnifying glasses so the lcd picture looks normal.

so, to remove the need for a light source i guess you could design some fancy two lens system with micro sized b-concave and bi-convex shapes. this would gather the diffused light from the pixel to add the extra light needed for the extra space lit up.

bml0ppl8m375.jpg

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Any attempt to get rid of screen door only makes for a more blurred image as far as I can tell. I prefer a sharper image over a blurred image any day when playing games, but that isn't the the case when I'm watching movies and screen door really effects the viewing.. 

YoLolo69
Trustee
If you can make pixels touch each other, meaning no space in between (no sde) the image will be sharp, but the picture will appear more pixilated, lower resolution. That's because the brain use the small black inter pixel, the SDE, to "create" missing information, and that's also why you have the feeling a kind of grid is set between you and a "higher res" picture (because your brain think it have more resolution than you can see due to the grid in between).
I saw that when I was using 2 projectors, one LCD and one DLP. When you project a huge picture with the LCD and you approach near the projected image you can see huge SDE and RGB colors for each pixel. In any case from a certain distance the screen appear having a good resolution. The same thing done with DLP ang going near the screen and pixel was touching each other, no SDE at all, but the image appear having a slightly lower resolution at the same long distance (both was full HD 1920x1080 obviously). Saying that I 100% prefer the DLP result. Picture is sharp, and stay clean even when you're near the screen.
So the more the pixels touch each other, the more the resolution need to be increased IMHO...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Anonymous
Not applicable

bml0ppl8m375.jpg

The micro mirror wouldn't need to bend the light though - it just acts as a color collector - it's no different than using a fiber optic line by a color line and the other end shows that same color light. The plus side there is no lost of light. So your first part would be just a single panel of the over all pixel color instead of RGB. The sides of this block would have a one way mirror effect to keep that color trap into that block. This would keep light bleeding from happening. Yes you would still have the SDE - but using something like what Samsung made - you could in theory bend the light around the edges so the color intermix in that space between effectively removing all SDE.  The problem is that it still will not be as sharp if you do blend the light together as there will be a little color bleed - but be very limited and I say almost not noticeable in this case. The other problem - is your brain is going to look for more detail into what it is looking at - but it wont get it - so you will think it's blurry. All this would be is a very thin film over the screen that has to match up the grid lines to the pixels allowing you to use your current stock of screens. No normal everyday person will be able to match them up by eye - but a machine design to track and make sure could do it no problem.

guuw2q7jgbzc.jpg

Up close this looks great - but if you notice the trees in the background don't have as much detail in them like real pixels would allow and as a result - look a bit blurry.

pyroth309
Visionary
Nice unboxing and setup and First Impression vid. Another complaint about the fit but otherwise similar to the other reviews. He said the SDE was improved over the Vive Pro but it wasn't dramatic and things were indeed softer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEWlc7jjGWQ

These reviews have me waffling more than Brett Favre retiring. I'm leaning to rolling with a Pimax again but still gonna get an odyssey+ until Pimax is completely out.