cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Techcrunch Are At It Again

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-canceling-rift-2-overhaul-oculus-plans-a-modest-update-to-fl...

Now they're saying that they're releasing a Rift S with inside out tracking and a slight resolution bump. Basically a WVR headset. Sounds like a load of old bollocks to me.
127 REPLIES 127

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Protocol7 said:

Zenbane said:For starters, they are not sticking by their original source at all, because their original source said that they are "cancelling the Rift." This new source reports a new Rift called the "Rift S." These are blatant contradictions.

Not really. The original source said they were canceling the Rift 2 design that Iribe favored. That does not mean there will never be another Rift.

That is completely false. The original source claimed that the Rift 2 was being cancelled entirely. What you are referring to is a "re-interpretation" of what that rumor could have meant. The first few days of the original article had people claiming "no more Rift," and Oculus responded publicly by saying, "yes, we are making another Rift." Then people like you, who don't have any facts and are trying to validate the rumor show up and start saying, "ooohh, TechCrunch must have meant that 'Iribe's Rift' is being cancelled."
It's all guesswork by the uninformed in an effort to substantiate baseless rumors. And the rumors do contradict each other entirely, no matter how desperately people try to re-interpret them in order to feign consistency.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Bring it on. I can't wait to replace my current Rift with a new one even if it's marginally better. And...at this rate it would probably arrive before my Pimax HMD.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bring it on. I can't wait to replace my current Rift with a new one even if it's marginally better. And...at this rate it would probably arrive before my Pimax HMD.

I would be excited by that prospect as well, unless they take a leap backwards in the tracking department...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Entertaining the Rift S rumor for a second,
Who is to say that it wouldn't have the option of connecting to a PC anyway? Many people openly stated that they wanted the Quest to connect to a PC. Perhaps the Rift S would give that option. Afterall, what would truly make the Rift S different from Quest anyway? If we just go by the rumor.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

pyroth309 said:

.... I find constellation to be a significant barrier to entry for some people because of the USB cabling and people don't really want sensors out all the time and constantly setting them up is a pain. .

Constantly setting them up is a pain?

I set up my sensors in January - one in each corner of the ceiling in my room. They have provided flawless tracking since, without any intervention - and I use my Rift pretty much every day. So I don't know what you are doing, but it sounds a right ballsache.

Edit: They are also well out of the way - so having them set up all the time is not a problem in any way.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

bigmike20vt
Visionary
i like the idea of a hybrid solution..... would probly mean 2x constellation sensors would be perfect. combine that with VR link support and usb load woes will be over.

hell i like the "idea" of inside out tracking but it has to be at least as good as a current 3 sensor constellation set up.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

i like the idea of a hybrid solution..... would probly mean 2x constellation sensors would be perfect. combine that with VR link support and usb load woes will be over.

hell i like the "idea" of inside out tracking but it has to be at least as good as a current 3 sensor constellation set up.

Yes the new VR Link support is fantastic !

bigmike20vt
Visionary
IF that tech crunch article is true, and i still hope it isnt, but
if it is, I hope oculus managed to get a deal to use the new odyssey +
screens.

the image quality on that is fantastic. also, i hope they up the FOV a
bit. clearly it is not going to be pimax levels of FOV but if it is
upped 10 or 20 degrees from the CV1, IF it uses the screen i suggested
above and IF they have absolutely perfected inside out tracking,

of and IF the price is ok.... (that is a lot of IFs!!!!!)

then i may (probably will) bite.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

pyroth309
Visionary

Brixmis said:

pyroth309 said:

.... I find constellation to be a significant barrier to entry for some people because of the USB cabling and people don't really want sensors out all the time and constantly setting them up is a pain. .

Constantly setting them up is a pain?

I set up my sensors in January - one in each corner of the ceiling in my room. They have provided flawless tracking since, without any intervention - and I use my Rift pretty much every day. So I don't know what you are doing, but it sounds a right ballsache.

Edit: They are also well out of the way - so having them set up all the time is not a problem in any way.

I was referring to the people who don't have a dedicated space or don't like having sensors out all the time in their living room or w/e.

I have a dedicated VR Room so I'm like you and haven't had to touch my Sensors much. 

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Entertaining the Rift S rumor for a second,
Who is to say that it wouldn't have the option of connecting to a PC anyway? Many people openly stated that they wanted the Quest to connect to a PC. Perhaps the Rift S would give that option. Afterall, what would truly make the Rift S different from Quest anyway? If we just go by the rumor.

I would imagine anything with the Moniker "Rift" would indeed be primarily powered by a PC either wired or wirelessly. I could eventually see the Quest and Rift merging into a single product but that likely wouldn't be for several years.