cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Techcrunch Are At It Again

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-canceling-rift-2-overhaul-oculus-plans-a-modest-update-to-fl...

Now they're saying that they're releasing a Rift S with inside out tracking and a slight resolution bump. Basically a WVR headset. Sounds like a load of old bollocks to me.
127 REPLIES 127

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yup and it's very BIG.

0k2u2bcb6pxs.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

LZoltowski
Champion
OR ... Quest and Rift S are the same product and it will be able to tether to your PC lol

shocked blunt talk GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
If they release a WVR type headset next year and then a Half Dome headset in 2022 they'll have enthusiasts buying competing headsets before then.

No argument to that logic @snowdog - agree 100%
It would be absolutely stupid and naive to invest in Half-Dome R&D and then shelve that project for say another 24-months, while at the same time start to develop a Rift S - CV1 update path - just like the update-path criticised that HTC did with the Vive Pro. All this in the face of news of the new Samsung headset(s) that fundamentally incorporates all the changes you would want to include. That would show a level of management failure that would seriously hinder the operations future.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Wildt
Consultant

OR ... Quest and Rift S are the same product and it will be able to tether to your PC lol

shocked blunt talk GIF

The zoom does half the acting.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:
If they release a WVR type headset next year and then a Half Dome headset in 2022 they'll have enthusiasts buying competing headsets before then.

No argument to that logic @snowdog - agree 100%
It would be absolutely stupid and naive to invest in Half-Dome R&D and then shelve that project for say another 24-months, while at the same time start to develop a Rift S - CV1 update path - just like the update-path criticised that HTC did with the Vive Pro. All this in the face of news of the new Samsung headset(s) that fundamentally incorporates all the changes you would want to include. That would show a level of management failure that would seriously hinder the operations future.

Isn't that what is going on though with Quest and the long wait for CV2? Quest being the WVR type headset.

To me it sounds like Quest and this Rift S might be the same thing.

pyroth309
Visionary

That would be pretty funny to me if it turned out the "Rift-S" is just the name of a connector for the quest for that purpose.

I mean how hard would it really be to let the quest run android OS games off itself and then have it it switch to "Rift" mode when you hook it to the PC. Then you just run the Oculus software and the games installed on your desktop and let your GPU push the panels to the limit. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard from a tech standpoint.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:
To me it sounds like Quest and this Rift S might be the same thing.

Once again, agree with your summation.
I think the fall-out from the recent departure and the PC high-end community backlash will mean we see a Rift S - that looks more like a "tether-able" Quest headset. If that will placate the PC-VR-community is another matter. With the news of the 6DoF controller Focus, and Samsung hinting at a CES shock with another VR/AR headset - the Spring launch of Quest (let alone a confusing Rift S late entry) will have stiff competition for face time with its perceived core audience?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Hmmm, now, what could that "S" stand for, I wonder....

"Sandwich"? It's in between the Rift 1 and Rift 2, so I reckon that's a safe bet! 😄

...as long as it doesn't mean "Shite"...

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think there could be some truth to a Rift-S, if Foveated Rendering is a few years away and they want to bring the latest tech they have for Oculus GO/Quest to CV1. All the things that this article mentions would be good improvements while we waited for a Rift capable of Foveated Rendering. The only thing that might be a problem is inside out tracking, but if they used the Oculus Quest's four camera tracking then who's to say it wouldn't be good? Other WVR headsets, like the Samsung Odyssey are only using 2 camera's for inside out tracking currently, so the controllers lose tracking when placed behind you..

Like others have said this might just be a load of bullshit this article, but if a Rift-S was released then I would buy it while I waited for Rift 2 with Fovated Rendering, which I don't think will arrive until around 2022 imo. And I  think by 2022 we will see a Rift 2 that is both mobile and capable of been hooked up to a PC, but that's just a prediction I'm making..

Question - Would inside out tracking work with current Rift games that use sensors or would the game need to be patched or something? Would it take a lot of time to patch it if it did need a patch to make the game compatible?

falken76
Expert Consultant
 If important people read this forum and they care to know this at all, they should clarify weather a Rift Version 2 as we were expecting it to be will be released or not.  I don't know why Techcrunch is sticking to this so hard, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.  All that means is my purchasing habbit will change.  On my end, I'll still enjoy the games just the same because there's no performance difference that I can notice on my machine.  But I'll just shift my purchases over to Steam so that if I end up abandoning Oculus, I don't get screwed out of all the games I bought that are locked to an eco system that isn't multi platoform, so if I switch, at least on steam my games will still work if the new HMD isn't an Oculus brand.  That should concern you Oculus, perhaps you should address this directly, because it's not really going to hurt me, it'll hurt you. I'm not using your store now and I'm still obtaining the software from steam.