Did you mean: 

Palmer Luckey has a few things to say about VR

Anonymous
Not applicable
53 REPLIES 53

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:

I have to wonder how much of this is an an attempt by "Mr.MeeSeeks in Sandals" to try and control the narrative with the leaking of the Rift S direction by Oculus (if proven to be true).

With the departure of fellow founder, and the rolling back of a lot of the previous issues they were directly responsible for, and fought so hard to defend, just claiming that everything wont work - seems more like a "...if you had done it my way, it would be cool" statement!

I just wonder if Facebook would have been so happy to invest considerably more that $2b into a scheme that is now claiming "No existing or imminent VR hardware is good enough to go truly mainstream...!"

Or he wants to devalue Oculus so that Zuck sells it back to him for a fraction of the cost 🙂 .. i kid i kid ...

OR AM I?!

scared jim carrey GIF

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Regarding this part of the claim:
"You could give a Rift+PC to every single person in the developed world
for free, and the vast majority would cease to use it in a matter of
weeks or months."
Does Palmer plan to back this up at all? It's easy to say it, much less easy to prove it. I doubt Palmer is going to take the money Facebook gave him and actually buy every single person in the developed world a free Rift and PC.
Palmer's attention seeking desperation has been overplayed for some time now.
Even in this latest attempt, all he is doing is taking information we already know and pretending that he has his own insights:
  • Many GearVR's were given away, but now many of those free HMD's are collecting dust.
  • Steam's survey shows an overall decline in SteamVR usage.
  • OC5 showed slow growth in the VR industry.
  • Every single online discussion board over the last 2+ years openly talks about the lack of replayabilty and AAA titles.
Palmer is adding nothing new to the conversation. He's just rephrasing facts and pretending to still have relevance.

przecinek
Rising Star
This article is meant for broad audience not just VR enthusiasts like us. He's got his low-key blog that gets picked up by other newslets, can't see anything wrong with that. 

//I remember how in 2013,14 this forum was full of nothing but respect and gratitude for Palmer. I don't have anything against current menagment personally but it would be nice to remember why this forum exists in the first place. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

przecinek said:

This article is meant for broad audience not just VR enthusiasts like us.

Palmer says these things publicly, and knows that VR enthusiasts will read it and talk about it. So I have no idea why you are making that excuse on his behalf.

I remember how in 2013,14 this forum was full of nothing but respect and
gratitude for Palmer. I don't have anything against current menagment
personally but it would be nice to remember why this forum exists in the
first place. 

Palmer did and said a lot of things that hurt the image of VR and the brand of Oculus. This forum exists because consumers who are VR Enthusiasts have helped make this a viable business venture.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Regardless of whether PL is right or wrong, I cant help that feel these kinds of comments are somewhat biting the hand which fed him.  Would have have been so blasé about this before he was set up for life with VR?
I highly doubt this would be the tune he was singing if facebook has not come in and bought oculus and PL was still relying on VR to bring food to the table.

Will VR fail? will it go mainstream?  I have no idea, all i can comment on really is am I personally happy with what stuff is being delivered to me so far... and up to this point CV1 and the software i have to run on it the answer is a resounding yes!

I wont lie however i am starting to worry about the future a little bit (in terms of my own needs not the health of vr as a whole).

going forward however, my right ear piece is beginning to fail and i am getting to the point of thinking about having to buy a new hmd............... I dont really want to go over to steamvr, however I equally do not want to buy another CV1... onwards and upwards and all that............. but at the same time it is looking like oculus may not be bringing anything to the table for me to buy any time soon.  (remember the comment from oculus... i think it was not mobile phone speed of advancement (1 year), and not console speed of advancement (5  years), but somewhere in the middle)

standalone devices are not even close to doing it for me either.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Regardless of whether PL is right or wrong, I cant help that feel these kinds of comments are somewhat biting the hand which fed him. 

Agreed, yet (imo) that is what he has always done. Let's not forget when he said that releasing the Rift with a gamepad is "shitty" and then he did exactly that. All of 2016 involved non-Rift owners coming to this forum and chastising Rift owners for buying a one sensor gamepad VR Kit. I remember that time very very well. It was a solid 8 months of poop being shoveled in the direction of Rift owners and there was little rebuttal because even Palmer himself have provided the ammunition.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Oh how the table has turned!

0rt5skijs6s7.gif

No I don't know where you can find that table but for some reason I want it in my life.

WAAAGH!

Luciferous
Consultant
I guess maybe he had inside news that the rift 2 had been shelved and that they are bringing out a Rift S next year?

He obviously would still have contact with Brendan Iribe and if those rumors are true, which may be the case if they are intending to scale down the next Rift release, he may have felt he needed to say what he did. Makes a lot more sense now the timing of the comments.

https://www.roadtovr.com/report-oculus-planning-modest-upgrade-rift-releasing-early-next-year/?fbcli...

I could watch that table gif all day long :).  You would have to mind your nuts on closing it though.

logotomie
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

Regarding this part of the claim:
"You could give a Rift+PC to every single person in the developed world
for free, and the vast majority would cease to use it in a matter of
weeks or months."
Does Palmer plan to back this up at all? It's easy to say it, much less easy to prove it.

Why should he need to prove it. Its a provocative statement you can agree or disagree with. It fits with my observations.

Palmer is an attention seeker and completely failed as oculus mascot after the facebook acquisition (which is all he was then really) But that does not invalidate his statements or claims.

The majority of discussions i see here in the forum seems to be about price point as "the" key factor for VR success and that's just naive. Its not 1000, not 600, not 400, not 200. It can be any of that depending on whether a big enough audience values what you can provide at that price point high enough, to allow you to make a profit. Right now neither tech nor software are at a point and it will need at min 2 more generations to get the tech in shape.The biggest threat to VR right now is the idea that there is just one small hurdle to take for getting VR ready for significant adoption.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

logotomie said:

The biggest thread to VR right now is the idea that there is just one small hurdle to take for getting VR ready for significant adoption.

Hi there mate, you said "thread" instead of "threat." Just saying! lol 😛

So we're going to get a Rift Pro? I'm a little bit excited but also a little bit gutted at the same time. I was hoping they'd go straight to CV2 for the next generation of Rift HMD.

But knowing me because I love VR and Oculus so much I will no doubt buy a Rift pro to see me through to the next release regardless. I hope it doesn't cost more then £500 though.

UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!