Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
More fun with Guardian structure hunting. Also found an undiscovered system on the way - well chuffed! More money for the pot 🙂

Who says you can't land a large ship at a Guardian structure?

Here's my fantastic Orca, "Fuddy Duddy", at the COL 173 SECTOR LT-Q D5-82 site:

e3yysi0bqvon.jpg

As the site is currently on the dark side of the planet, I've had to play with the brightness and contrast in the screenshots - but it's clear enough.

It covers the whole site very well (I fitted two point defence modules on the top, but the odd missile does get through)...

ybogpq9pch7b.jpg

emwt130smbe4.jpg

Not only that, it's 571m from the site location - which means after doing a round for the weapon blueprint, I can just hop back aboard and exit the game, without concern for the game moving the ship on my return.
I had hoped I'd finished with blueprint scanning, but found that I was 3 prints short to unlock the final 3 class 1 guardian weapons at the broker. Was kicking myself over that - didn't realise that some of the higher class weapons require two blueprints each.

This site is relatively simple, once you start activating the pylons - it's then quite easy to work out the pattern, but it did take me a long time to actually find the activation spot, in the dim conditions. Here's hoping when I return the nucleus star will have moved around a bit.... this way! (not the other, leaving it even darker).

All good fun! 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nowt to do with Exploration but the livestream on Thursday detailed Squadrons and Mining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsah4HX4LQ

Mining looks fucking awesome now (and I loved it as it was before too!). I'm gonna be blowing up asteroids all over the place lol 😮 😄 😄 😄

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Didn't watch it (well, just first few minutes) cos it went back to the boring as hell waffle about bullshit stuff instead of getting on with it, like they did very well in the 1st two videos. Bring the other two guys back, please, and bin the duffer with the beard.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Edd Lewis is the head community guy and is in the vast majority of the streams. A fantastic chap who is as friendly in the flesh as he is online and I hope they never get rid of him. 
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well I watch update videos and so on to see what's coming and not to listen to a couple of guys waffling on stuff that's of zero interest to me - it's not supposed to be a chat show, it's supposed to tell us what is coming in the update and how to use certain new functions.
So it doesn't matter what type of guy he is, he needs to do that - I don't have time to waste watching videos if they are not of use to me in some way - it's just the modern lazy way, in any case. I get sick of all the "watch the video" crap we see on DCS World, for example, but for so many games these days - especially EA ones. Something like Elite should not be falling to that level. Give us manuals, in-game tutorials, or proper video tutes (or demos) for new functions or procedures and leave the waffle or have specific "chat" streams just for that.
I find it highly unprofessional.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Tried to watch it again this morning - was actually 10 minutes before they started talking about what would be covered in the video. Take 5 minutes off for the intro screen (wish YT would cut those off stream recordings) and that's 5 minutes of waffle before they even got to the video subject.
I thought 'OK, we'll see what happens from here' but within a minute or so it was back to waffle again, so I just switched off. Unfortunately, I can't stand Obsidian Ant's irritating approach (and I know I'm not the only one) so that leaves either Down To Earth Astronomy - who I can't always understand, or another one I found today via YT search, who I'll check out later.

It was the same thing that meant, despite being quite happy to go mining originally, it was months after the newer method was introduced, before I ventured out, having an idea of what I was doing (thanks to @Chazmeister who explained the procedure on here for me). All because there was too much extraneous waffle in the ED videos.

Bit like my forum posts, you might say, if you were being wicked... 😕

*edited cos I'm getting old and keep pressing the wrong keys....

RattyUK
Trustee
Followed a rumour in the Codex - didn't find the structure they mentioned, but did find this:
23gswjkl486q.jpg
A Thargoid site

ts0umf8bacs1.jpg
Anybody else think that looks like a lizard head?   My first thought was of the mythical dragon (the Wyrme - not the modern fantasy one)

Had fun out in Thargoid territory - including getting shot at immediately entering a Threat 3 USS!

@Brixmis - I watched the livestream and also thought it wasn't as polished or flowing as the previous 2, but there was less content to fill their slot - goodness knows how they'll fill next weeks - ships!
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Is that your 1st thargoid base? They are good ! If you have decent headphones stick them on, the sounds.are.quite spooky!
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RattyUK
Trustee

Is that your 1st thargoid base? They are good ! If you have decent headphones stick them on, the sounds.are.quite spooky!

Yes it is Mike, sadly my headphones right ear has disappeared (last night, of course!) and I wasn't in VR at the time either so no great Rift sound.  I did get some of the atmospherics from my PC speakers (2 satellites & sub) but had to have the volume low so as not to interfere with my wife's TV watching.

I'll be visiting a few of the sites I have been to in beta when C4 drops, so far it's been brilliant - not so great in VR as the scanners are a bit broke... 
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I see what you mean about the lizard.

Unfortunately, I've been feeling very crap since my flu vaccination. Normally doesn't bother me, but this year it gave me some allergic reactions and a lot of flu-like symptoms (got a big, tender lump under my armpit, on the arm they injected, as well), so I'm not really up to sticking my head in a VR headset just now.

Replaying Dead Island to keep my mind off it. Oh - and watching England thump South Africa and New Zealand in the two rugger disciplines today 🙂