Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

bigmike20vt
Visionary
oooo i just realised i can import into inara.

my fleet here, not sure it has correctly got my modules however and defo not got my ship names.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RattyUK
Trustee
Nice one Mike 🙂

My 'fleet' :
99da6ptchwe4.jpg

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

bigmike20vt
Visionary
so maybe i am being stupid but how do i import engineering and ship loadouts and names into inara?
i use ED discovery but happy to scrape data from another app
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Fuck me, Mike - that's waaay too many ships in one hangar! 😄

Chaz is the best guy to ask about INARA - I've only just started using it myself.

This is my X56 set-up, with the new exploration functions added:

vsoga765hys6.jpg3n94buccmdew.jpgxe5oko5s5yvm.jpg

Should perhaps mention that I don't use the gaze UI or whatever it's called - I like to have my views clear, and use a 4-way control for the various cockpit UI panels.

nrosko
Superstar
Those of you using vice attack are you using the Oculus mic? I've not had good results with it 😕

bigmike20vt
Visionary
yep i find the oculus mic great.  have you trained your pc properly in windows? voice attack uses windows speech recognition so if that is bad, your VA will be less than perfect. it also depends on you accent and things.

dont get me wrong, it has its moments (and i have emergency controls for shield cell on stick just in case). i find it generally works almost perfectly if i am on my own, but it does get confused if playing with mates and chitchatting at the same time as playing (so much so i only use it for rare things if playing in a wing with mates)

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Brixmis said:

Fuck me, Mike - that's waaay too many ships in one hangar! 😄

Chaz is the best guy to ask about INARA - I've only just started using it myself.

This is my X56 set-up, with the new exploration functions added:

Should perhaps mention that I don't use the gaze UI or whatever it's called - I like to have my views clear, and use a 4-way control for the various cockpit UI panels.

thanks for that...... as for ships, I play Elite in a "strange" way.  Elite is my desert island game, ever since KSer i knew that it was going to be the game i play more than any other for years. I am also a progress based gamer.  i like skinner boxes i guess. my dread is the day i get to triple elite and money no longer matters and this is why i have given myself very strict rules of play.  i never sell a ship i do not own another version of, i never strip a ship to outfit another one, and if i feel a mission template is borked and is paying too much i ban myself from doing it. It is a tough thing tho, because obviously i want to try to be "good" at my job, so it is a constant struggle to earn as much as i can, but WITHOUT doing it in a way i think it cheesy or exploity.  Elite makes it harder than it should be because there are so many loopholes in the game, and the game practically throws money at you now 😞

one of my pilots goals is to own and outfit to a specific purpose one of every ship in the game.  I also periodically use them, so for a session i may just use my sidewinder  or adder for instance.

i am into the 1000s of hrs into the game any yet my progress (and certainly my bank balance) is relatively puny compared to others.   I own 23 ships, i am not exactly sure how many are in the game right now - at a guess 38 or so, so i have a ways to go yet.

nrosko
Superstar

yep i find the oculus mic great.  have you trained your pc properly in windows? voice attack uses windows speech recognition so if that is bad, your VA will be less than perfect. it also depends on you accent and things.

dont get me wrong, it has its moments (and i have emergency controls for shield cell on stick just in case). i find it generally works almost perfectly if i am on my own, but it does get confused if playing with mates and chitchatting at the same time as playing (so much so i only use it for rare things if playing in a wing with mates)

I did try & train it several times. The problem i have is it keeps repeating 'on' at random intervals, so seems to pick some other background noise that it processes as 'on'. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary
yeah when i look at the log mine picks up all sorts of words!. 
in which case i would make sure "on" is not a command you use for anything.
if there is a word you use that it cant get right, try and give it a different command.. ie change landing gear to "deploy landing gear and retract landing gear"

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've used voice commands for Elite with both VA and the HCS pack and with my own dwVAC profiles, but tbh I prefer to use my own, hardware controls. I do really like voice controls for some games, but E:D isn't one of them. Don't know why - it just seems to spoil the fun for me. I do have a couple of extra controllers i use for wing stuff and for external camera controls, though.

That's a good policy, Mike, and not a bad way to play - but I prefer to just do what I like (and I very much dislike all the exploits and "earn a million in 10 seconds" crap that fill YouTube) and then start from scratch when I feel things are getting stale.

I last restarted in January last year. Was on my way back from Colonia in an AspX, got sucked into a neutron star and when they asked if I wanted to use the insurance, I decided I didn't want to affect my future no-claims bonus and just started from zero instead. All stats gone, all money gone and started at, I think it was Assellus Primus in a Sidey (mind you, you do get a second ship with planetary landing suite - don't know if that's from original beta or from Horizons).
In all honesty, I just couldn't be arsed flying all the way back to the Bubble! 😄