cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No rift 2 ?!. God no please tell me it ain't true!

inovator
Consultant
I love vr. I'm a big fan of the rift. I was highly disturbed that rift 2 info. was missing in action in this year's connect. I know that mark vaguely said the pc platform vr would be supported in the future but I believe the rift was not successful enough to make the rift 2 promise. It doesn't help my thinking when today it was all over the internet that the oculus cofounder left because rumors said the rift 2 at least for now was cancelled. Facebook has not denied that. But i believe rift 2 will happen but it will be much longer than anyone could have imagined. It will happen only after a tremendous leap in its tech. Much larger fov, fantastic resolution, no pixels, only built in cameras, and a very noticeable decrease in its weight.omg I may be dead by then. In the meantime the quest may be vrs savior. Oculus realizes the rift pc will never make vr a mass media. Only stand alone can do that. I wish the Quest luck! I will buy one! It's success will be a contributing factor of how much development will be put into the rift 2 and when it will come out. If there is a vr god out there please listen to me. Please vr god allow us fans to witness a fantastic and fruitful vr future. Amen 
39 REPLIES 39

HiThere_
Superstar
My CV1 lenses are scratched, it's cable is damaged, it's held
together with sellotape, and both it's faceplate
and Field Of View were always too narrow for an adult face to begin with...

So
at this point I'd gladly take a CV 1.5 over purchasing a new CV1,
but I was hoping an HTC Vive pro like upgrade, where you keep the
sensors, controllers, PC... and could just upgrade the headset
(and perhaps the GPU, to stay at 90 FPS).

If it's not a CV2,
and you can't keep the CV1 sensors and controllers, then I might be better
off buying a discounted CV1 then buying a half assed CV2 with downgraded tracking.

Although
I think that what 90% of CV1 users want, is a fully fledged CV2, with
more body tracking (legs ?) instead of less hand tracking.

Still, in my selfish case, what I want is a physically wider CV1.5 with a wider Field Of View really.

inovator
Consultant
I will be happy to be free of the camera setup. For me it's a pain.I don't have the luxury of keeping a set up permanent. Even if it's not as precise I will love it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in the camp that I hope they stay with constellation tracking for whatever they bring out.
Just seems to me if not it would be a downgrade in tracking. Course I guess that would remain to be seen.

But this reporting on inside out tracking is rumor at this point right?

Digikid1
Consultant

HiThere_ said:

My CV1 lenses are scratched, it's cable is damaged, it's held
together with sellotape, and both it's faceplate
and Field Of View were always too narrow for an adult face to begin with...

I am going to take this entire quote as a joke. Simply because I have sold over 75 rift bundles with not ONE person confirming such claims. Me included. You just simply have a large head....you lucky bugger you. 😉

bigmike20vt
Visionary
i got to admit i am on the edge myself.  i have the straps as loose as they can go and it only "just" fits.
my face plate is also falling apart at the nose however oculus have sent me a replacment so that is nice.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

I am in the camp that I hope they stay with constellation tracking for whatever they bring out.
Just seems to me if not it would be a downgrade in tracking. Course I guess that would remain to be seen.

But this reporting on inside out tracking is rumor at this point right?

Yup. An unsubstantiated rumour. Personally I think it's a load of old bollocks.

HiThere_
Superstar
As far as a CV1 Pro goes, I was fine with keeping the current sensors and controllers, instead of downgrading the tracking quality with inside-out tracking, and having to buy new controllers for it (because the Touch ring is bellow the hand, instead of being above it).

But as far as expanding the Rift consumer base goes, inside-out tracking makes more sense, and adopting the same inside-out tracking volume as Quest, instead of expanding it with more cams, also makes sense.

In fact adopting Quest level graphics for the Rift also makes sense, at which point a PC tethered VR headset makes no sense : Just plug your Quest into a power supply, instead of plugging your Rift into a PC, for an identical VR experience (with extra heating available all year around for the Quest version, I guess).

Anonymous
Not applicable

HiThere_ said:
In fact adopting Quest level graphics for the Rift also makes sense, at which point a PC tethered VR headset makes no sense : Just plug your Quest into a power supply, instead of plugging your Rift into a PC, for an identical VR experience (with extra heating available all year around for the Quest version, I guess).

Mmmm - to limit yes - but oh god no. The hardware between the two is still vast enough it would make no sense to keep them at the same level no matter what the game is. That is one of the reasons why I am ok if a dev wants to sell their game on the two different platforms while offering different content. The problem - as we see with consoles - is most programmers are a bit lazy when it comes to ports - so I do fear that will become a thing after a while. On  the plus side - at least the hardware for the mobile side of things will be force to increase their hardware performance with in a shorter time frame then what PC hardware will have to stand up against.

Granted - I do hope they make Quest have the option to be plug into your computer as it would open the doors wide open. Then make CV2 just a higher end version of that + other fanzy features. Less work and you know your hardware will be supported as a chain for the software.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

HiThere_ said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. How does adopting Quest level graphics for PC-VR make sense? The whole point of PC-VR is so that it can use the power of the PC, not just a power supply.. 

HiThere_
Superstar
It makes financial sense for the devs to develop a single version of their VR game, the same way that doing a direct port of a console game to PC does.