cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

volumetric display and anti sde technology idea.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

you have a screen put over every pixel and shape the screen to take the light from the pixel and fill in the spaces visible between the pixels that make sde.

how you do this is using 4 things.

- measuring in tenths, you have a tube, the tube measuring 1 to 2. at 1 is the pixel, at 2 is the glass covering the total area of the end of the tube, in-between 1 and 2 measuring in tenths is the tube.

in-between the pixel and the tube at 1 on the tube is two lenses.

- the lens math for the double convex and double concave lens is, the light leaving the lens is equal to the shape of the light entering the lens, but inverted.

- double convex to magnify the light from the pixel, which removes the light scatter.

- a double concave lens, to take the focused collected light and make it all one color again and not focused.

now the screen is magnified which acts like the vr lens, but without the Fresnel lens.

- send the light from the pixel to the double convex lens,
- then from the double convex lens send the light to the double concave lens,
- then from the double concave lens send the light to the tube.
the tubes walls are painted white to reflect the light from the pixel. 
the top and bottom of the tube is not painted white for the pixel light to be able to enter and leave the tube.

the tube is larger at the 2 mark then it is at the 1 mark, at 2 the pixels on the display are nested together removing all sde.

to hold the tube in place, you have a mesh at at least two places in-between 1 and 2 on the tube and the tube being different sizes alone the length of the tube slots into the mesh.

on the bottom of the tube, the lenses can be stored in a separate tube, the container is fixed to the mesh.

volumetric display

you take the same principle for the pixel and use it for the entire display screen, all the pixels are covered by the 1 double convex lens, 1 double concave lens, and the tube is where the new idea is.

the tube has the white on the tube change from black to white, and the tenths on the tube have hundredths joining each tenth.

it might be in practice using hundredths is too much but its good to explain the idea.

starting from 1 you have a single hundredth mark. you light up the section on the tube white on the entire perimeter of the tube at that first hundredth mark.

the rest of the tube is black.

then keep that hundredth at 1 lit up and go to the next hundredth and light that hundredth up.

the rest of the tube is still black.

repeat this for every single hundredth in order from 1 to 2 to light up the entire tube.

now none of the tube is black.

ok now you can light up the tube, you go to the next step and add in panels of glass inside the tube, this panel of glass will capture the light from the displays pixels at that spot on the tube.

the entire area of the glass panel is lit up at that hundredth marker on the tube so the light from the panel reflects the light from the display on the lit up glass panel.

this can be so at 1 there is a glass panel, the light at the first hundredth lights up the glass panel and the picture is seen at that paint in the tube.

the person sees the display from 2 on the tube so the display at 1 shows the picture to be deep inside the tube.

the glass panel is lit up by both the light at that hundredth going into the glass perimeter, and second by the light in the tube in-between the glass in the tube and the double concave lens.

so if you want no light on the first glass panel at 1 in the tube you turn off the lights in-between 1 and the glass panel and at the glass panel and turn on the light for every hundredth after that up to and at the next glass panel,.

then coat the glass panel on the 1 side facing the lit hundredths with a anti-reflective coat, so the glass panel not lit up isnt seen reflecting light when it shouldn't.

then you have the display show a 3d image at a high frame rate and the picture matches a section of the tube, the frame rate is high enough the person sees the tube as one image but in volumetric 3d. with no sde.
33 REPLIES 33

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
asbwb8bsgbw8.jpg2rn2dsblxuay.jpg

i got around to building a prototype today and yesterday, today i got it going for 2 distances now to finish my crafting to test for 3 distances.

heres the video showing my results so far for 2 distances;

video removed

heres what id id its a little different that what i described in my first post.

- i used clear see through cs case covers as my screens.
- i used black crafting paper for the tubes.
- and i used a lot of duct tape.

the tube, is given some light, from a phone its not so good the phone doesnt send light like a flashlight, so you need to hold the phone right next to the cd case cover on the entrance side of the tube.

the tube is a funnel and the big side has a cd case cover and is the entrance for light, and the exit side of the funnel has a cd case cover too and is the small end of the funnel.

the theory is i havent tested it yet, but the theory is if the next funnel on the other side of the cd case on the exit end of the first funnel is made to fit the large end of the funnel to the exit end of the first funnel then i make a exit end for the second funnel the smallest end of the two funnels, then the exit end on the second funnel will give me the third distance.

how this is supposed to work for holograms in theory is the light moves in one direction and as it moves its shown on the cd case covers for the three distances, starting for the farthest distance then the second farthest distance covers the farthest distance then the nearest distance covers the second farthest distance.

this way you can loop this to show the three 3d distances to let each distance paint a picture for that 3d distance.

seeing as how the light comes from the distance closest to the person i think you need a see through oled screen to send light to the three distances., or some sort of mirrors to send the light from a cabinet out of sight. send the light in and as the light comes out its angled at the screen exit like a prism reflecting light.

and thats a working actual real life hologram technology that works! take it for free no royalties wanted. when i get the rest of the crafting done i will post another youtube video showing the third distance.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
ok, i tried for a while but kept running into a problem that i figured out how to fix but first to say what i'm going to do before i craft it up.

the cone sends light pushed out from the light source. so that the first layer has the larger end of the cone and the second layer has the smaller end of the cone funnel.

you shine a light on the first layer and the cone sends the light pushed forward onto the second layer screen first.

the problem comes when the third layer and second cone are introduced.

if you have the second cone any different slope from the first cone slope it introduces irregularities. you need to continue the slope of the first cone in the second cone.

then if you use a funnel the light from the first layer has the light pushed back towards the center, the funnel works inversely.
so you need to only have the slope for the first half of the cone funnel for both funnels.

the second half has to have no slope, so the light pushed forward disappears layer by layer as you move the light source left to right.

i will add a picture. then i will start crafting after some coffee. after its all crafted up i will add a new youtube video showing the results.

hi2kax5lhav4.jpg

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
my youtube video showing my final hologram prototype;

and some pictures added below.

g699byrcozvd.jpg

763e2vr82f63.jpg

8ajanfylvvva.jpg

what i learned is the funnel needs to have only one side at an angle for both funnels, and both funnels need to share the same angle, and the other side of both funnels need to be straight not at an angle and both funnels straight sides need to line up.

besides that it didnt work so good until i learned a third step, the middle reflective cd case is flat on the funnel. but the top and bottom cd case need to be at angles on its funnel, angles that stretch away from the middle cd case on the side of the angle in the funnel.

then i need a large enough angle for the top and bottom cd case so the images dont blend together so they can be seen clearly with no sight of the other two reflections.

right now the third cd base in the far back only shows a image starting at the middle of the cd case but its a proof of concept so i wont worry i think with more angle tinkering it could show from the part the funnel touches the cd case.

and thats how you make a hologram.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
I looked at the farthest cd case and saw the dots reflecting on it and measured the size of the second funnel exit, it shouldn't be big enough to fit two dots.

So shrink the hole of the second funnel exit, by making the two funnels angle steeper.

I measured and found the first funnel entrance, has a angle side. Then the second funnel exit should, on the angle side, should be directly over the first funnel entrance on the straight side, that makes a 90 degree triangle.

That leaves the question how long the funnel is so split in two to make two funnels the second funnel exit can only barely fit one dot from the pen flashlight in the second funnel exit.
The answer to that will be trial and error.

So back to crafting to see it. Then i can post my results.

Edit.

After crafting then testing it, it behaved as i said it would. Now you see the furthest distance from side to side.

You need to hold the light a good distance from the screen, and look at the funnel from the middle of the first funnel a bit farther than the light shining in the first funnel.

I made a video and will upload it in a few hours.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
heres the new video showing the new model where the third distance the farthest distance has the light dot start from the edge of the funnel to the edge of the funnel.

https://youtu.be/ERd8JuJzMuQ

https://youtu.be/8EFJ-4m2FGE

pdqcppmjlyn5.jpg

i added the green lines to the picture to illustrate the design focus in this redesign. and it worked.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
I watched a youtube video about both the avegant augmented reality and the magic leap. that got me to watch another youtube video about waveguide technology for vr and augmented reality.

it occurred to me that the way they bounce light off of glass is how I make the funnel carry the light. maybe I would try to make a version of my crafting hologram that's not a funnel and is see through like augmented reality, so I did and here it is;

https://youtu.be/V8y_QxYBFYQ

I just used the cd cases for my funnel craft and put another layer on top of that and held it in place then put pictures and light in and it worked like the funnel design.

I thought about how the display would travel so it lit up the three displays and it occurred to me to have three displays, one for each angle, and turn the displays on and off fast to shine line on that angle at the brightest angle. you could then tilt the panels so you could fit three displays side by side. in theory I haven't tried it yet, say with three pen flashlights but it makes sense to me its doable.

I found out that the magic leap uses this type of technology, but is stuck at using only two layers. well with my technology which is free, they could have 3 layers, maybe more.

I think that's all the crafting I can do now its time for oculus or magic leap to take the tech and make something good for vr or ar or both, please. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem with light wave - is you need to take your design and make about 100 different viewpoints for your depth of field. One of the reasons Oculus approach is better is because it variable because you are just moving the screen instead giving you the fine grain control.  Granted they're doing it in VR where they have more control - but if you could do it for AR - then you broke something that close to a billion dollars couldn't xD 

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
I think its for headsets, not a still tv on the wall, but if you kept still and looked at the tv from the sweet spot it would work for a tv on the wall.

I made this tech for headsets like oculus rift, so your always looking at the sweet spot. where you move your head and face the display is still in the same place on your face.

for how the picture is put in there I think it would work like this;

- monitors face eyes
- reflective surface eyes see face eyes
- reflection shines picture from displays onto reflective surface, faces away from the eyes.

j068ntoe0fb7.jpg
the three distanced panels are doubled one set of three panels per eye. the flat side of the funnel is near the nose.

so its cheap, and you could make it, just have to figure out how to sync the monitors to show a single distance,  or three distances at once, like a hologram. you could use off the shelf stuff too you just have to know how to build the sw to run it and fabricate a working model.

edit.
upon testing reflecting the video source onto a reflective surface, a cd case, then shining that reflective surface onto the three layers what I see is junk, you need the original source of video shining on the three layers, directly. or you could try something like a plane mirror that shines the light straight as the reflective surface then shine that surface onto the three layers.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i was watching some youtube videos and saw some about holograms and saw people were making their own holograms;

so i thought why not try this with my hologram craft i made? so i did and here it is;

same technology as my previous hologram technology in my previous posts just made brand new using old cd cases, and see through glue gun, a broken clothes pin, and my phone with its finger ring i use to help not drop my phone (its precious 2 me :)).

i got it going for one screen first, the bottom screen, but it looked kind of drab, so i saw the second screen looked a bit better so i tinkered with my design and came up with the tilted phone idea to get three levels of video.

i ignore the top and bottom layers and only look at the middle layer. i can see through the picture better if i put the picture up to my eyes. but i find i like to look at it about half a foot away from my face.
i added a light source to help with the picture quality.

i find its really cool to watch the videos looking at this craft down in my lap, i dont know why but its really better looking and seems more like a hologram to my eyes, but its a bit awkward seems like im invading the singers personal space, so i dont do that much.

i could use cleaner glass and my middle picture shows the cd case on the top of the picture if i look hard so the middle cd case needs longer plastic on the bottom layer so the pictures pretty in the middle layer.

it sure is neat. its augmented reality man!

edit, if you try to craft one the calibration I used is to shine a flashlight at the three layers like I show in my previous video, and the far left and right touch the edge of the cd case and the middle light is centered. all three lights are in the same horizontal line.

Edit.

I think if the bottom layer is seen to cut the middle layer in half horizontally the top horizontal half in the middle layer would look holographic, but the bottom half of the middle layer needs the bottom layer to be pure flat, that means i would have to cut the cd case for the bottom layer.

5d5xvoo0orns.jpg

g8l37py1secu.jpg

0yg0wbguh68k.jpg

c8dlicympmi6.jpg