cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest vs WMR tracking

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I have not seen this before.  This looks interesting if it pans out

dont get me wrong, it is still not rift levels of 360 degree tracking however stick a sensor on the back and maybe???

https://i.redd.it/dh566leza9rz.png

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm pretty sure that's the very first thing people are going to check: if the tracking is worth it or not.
Right now, inside-out tracking has two limitations: the field of view and the occlusion risk.

That 270° FOV seems fairly enough for me: it means there's only 45° missing on each side, which is barely anything. Nobody uses their hands outside that range anyway (well, except to scratch their head xD). Even by putting your arm as far behind as you can and turning your head in the opposite direction, you're still in range.
Taking objects from our back should be totally possible with the Quest, but of course, only practical tests will tell for sure!

Now I'm more curious about the way they'll counter the occlusion risk. If you put an arm in front of one hand, will the Quest still be able to see the controller? I'm pretty sure occlusion will never occur in front of us, but on the sides it may be a risk...

Anyway, I really hope Oculus can pull it off with inside-out tracking. I love my Rift, but I'm sick of those sensors ^^'.

LZoltowski
Champion
Yeah, this slide was shown at the OC5 announcement and on the first OC4 tease I think. Pretty good area.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still not good enough for high-end PC VR though. You need 360 degrees tracking plus being able to track close to your head for bow and arrow games and turning on the light in Lone Echo.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
true, but what if there was a sensor on the back of the hmd strap... would that be enough to fill in the hole at the back

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

true, but what if there was a sensor on the back of the hmd strap... would that be enough to fill in the hole at the back

Any sensors at the back would cause the following I think:

Additional power and CPU/GPU processing required
You would have to have a ribbon cable in the head strap, we know that has issues in current rift.
Additional cost
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any sensors at the back would cause the following I think:

Additional power and CPU/GPU processing required
You would have to have a ribbon cable in the head strap, we know that has issues in current rift.
Additional cost

All those reason are superficial though. Addinatal cost can be subsidized to not having to have more cameras and there for addinal cables. The ribbon cable could be design a little better for a moving strap. The required resources could come from better software over time - less accuracy (just need to know its there and not how close to a wall you are) - and or higher end part either it being overclock or offers more resource from base clock.

Even then - you could extend/angle the cameras out a bit on the side of HMD, so wont need a ribbon cable, and have them point backwards to cover that area as well plus the sides. You would cover almost all rotation of the human arm. The only spot it'll have a hard time in - on our back side. Considering games just need to be thoughtful of that - it would in general cover everything needed. On the bright side - your back side doesn't need to be that accourit so you could in theory just rely on the other senors to make the best guess for the short period it is back there.

To cover everything - we would need in total 7-8 cameras, of that  two adjustable. 4 in the front - 2 on the side that can be adjusted - 1-2 facing down from the back. Only a few of them need to have high accuracy to track you around the room. The others just need enough accuracy to track the controller positions aka look for IR light.

Then there is always - just have the controllers track the headset instead allowing them inside out tracking and sending the data over USB back. Though - I think that be hard on batteries now I think about it. Sure the processing wouldn't happen at the controller level - but sending data over and over wireless vs off and on button presses would use a lot more power than they are now.

HiThere_
Superstar

That
270° FOV seems fairly enough for me: it means there's only 45° missing
on each side, which is barely anything. Nobody uses their hands outside
that range anyway (well, except to scratch their head xD).

If you can grab your shoulder guns in Robo Recall, continue to
shoot arrows accurately with one hand in front of the other, open a
virtual drawer without having to look down at your hands, throw a pass
in a rugby game, score points in basketball, stand up
with your hands resting on your trouser pockets without your avatar's
arms glitching out... Then I won't notice the difference.

But
for a multiplayer social experience like "VR Chat" or "Rec Room", I
can't help thinking there will be glitches that you won't notice, but
that people looking at your avatar will. Such as... when you're scratching the back your head (or your butt 😛 ).

To be honest I would have preferred a leg tracking upgrade (which inside-out tracking can't even do), to an arm tracking downgrade... but at least I'll be able to blame my VR dancing glitches on the poor quality of the tracking, instead of the poor quality of the dancer 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary
how do you play pool in sports bar VR?

note I am NOT suggesting an entire tracking method be thrown under a bus because of 1 edge case.... just pointing out that anyone who says you do not need high resolution tracking at the back ever are mistaken.