cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Odyssey+ review

maxpare79
Trustee
Alright long time Rift owner (since DK2) used to be a mod around here (yeah I am not dead), I decided to give the Odyssey+ a try since Microsoft Store will let you return it for free during the first 30 days so why not.

Long story short, don't believe the hype...
Screen:
Being a sims guy I was intrigued mainly by the screen, and was really excited to try it on. The display on the Rift never bothered me, once you wear it for a while you tend to forget the imperfection. I wasn't blown away by the Odyssey+ screen like I thought I would. You can still see the pixels and the difference is definitely not night and day with the Rift, but the difference might be more noticeable to a Vive owner (I also play with one regularly and find the screen on the rift sharper). FOV might be a bit larger if you can succeed at getting the damn thing close to your eyes (more about that later). Colors are great, I can sometimes see the fresnel ring during bright scenes, god ray don't bother me but again I was never bothered by those as well on my Rift. 

Sweetspot:
Alright in the Rift you can move your eyes to look around without any problems, in the Vive you actually have to move your head to look around, in this, it's between the 2, you can move your eyes a bit, but it get blurrier if you go to the full extent of your eyes movement

Tracking:
Tracking was spot on, and responsive, I would only loose tracking behind my head and with the controller directly in front of the headset (example if you would try to take something and eat it in job simulator, you might loose tracking near your mouth) Other then that I really didn't find any problems with it in my 2x3m space. I dimmed the light in the room to a minimum and it would still work so I was impress by inside out tracking, was expecting it to be a load of crap but I can see it being the future now, one more camera on the headset at the back and I believe this might be the future.

Controllers:
Again was expecting a subpar experience, but the controllers are actually fine, plastic feels cheap and they do require 2 batteries each, but the egonomics is just a bit below the Touch but better than the Vive wands, what is weird is that these IR lights on it are actually real leds, the controllers light up like a christmas tree. On a side note my hands are small so experience might differ for somebody with big hands.

Audio:
I am not an audio guy, headphones are good, on par with the Rift

Setup:
Literally 5 mins and your good to go, kudos there

And now here comes the bad news:

Headset construction:
What can I say, this thing is friggin huge, I find it gigantic compare to my Rift, it's bulky and massive, if I could compare the construction of this thing it reminds me of the first gearVR but bigger (same type of plastic)

Fit and comfort:
Alright from different reviews I could tell that you had to have a specific head shape for this, it seems I am one of the lucky winner, I have a big head, as a reference, if I put a baseball cap on, I have to enlarge it by 2 pins (the plastic thingy at the back of the head). I have seen mods online to remove light leaks from this thing, luckily I had no more light leak then on my Rift (through the nose), I didn't experience leak on the side of the headset.
My main problem with it is that this weight all sits on your forehead, and to get the sweetspot right you have to install the strap at the lowest spot possible at the back of your skull, which actually makes the HMD tilt up from your cheek, you have a weird feeling that this thing is dangling in front of your face rather then wearing it as a hat like the rift. I now understand why people made mods for the original odyssey to push the headset on the cheeks with straps going around the head and so on...If you push it hard enough on your cheek you notice a wider FOV, but getting it to stay there is another matter.
Maybe it get some use to but the pressure on the forehead is really annoying...

Software:
Jesus, I love my Rift now more then ever because of this thing...Alright where to start...I might not know all the tips and tricks around the WindowsMR user experience, but I should not have to do research as well...
First you start WindowMR, then you can start SteamVR for WindowMR, thing I experience is that I would loose audio in the headset as soon as SteamVR started, I said to myself alright not the first time I have to mess around SteamVR audio settings, I will just choose the right audio source, then 2 things happened, 1st when you have a WindowsMR headset on, Windows 10 actually locks itself up, you have to press window+y key to gain control back of your desktop...annoying, second, when looking at my audio source I can't find anything related to the Samsung headset, only my regular audio source are present, don't ask me why...
Listen I already find that the SteamVR experience is clunky compared to Oculus Home/Dash, now you have to clunky experience on top of one another. Everytime I want to start a game I have to mess around to get it to work, which does not happened on the RIft and not as much on the Vive for that matter. One example is for some games you will have to remap the controllers in steam because the dev didn't have the WindowsMR headset in mind when they designed it.

Conclusion
2 days with it, it's in the box back to Microsoft, if the screen would have been a much better improvement I would maybe have stick with it and the clunkyness of the interface and the comfort, but it's not worth it, don't believe the hype. I wouldn't even call this Rift 1.5. But if a refresh of the Rift comes out with a screen that compares to this I might consider it if it's in the 250-300 ballpark (old joke, smaller park). But I really don't get how Samsung could issue a product so uncomfortable with all these headset already out there that they could just copy...The ease of use of the Rift really shines when you come face to face with something like this. I wish Oculus Home would open the door to other headset natively so everyone could enjoy it.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
40 REPLIES 40

kojack
MVP
MVP

maxpare79 said:

Listen I already find that the SteamVR experience is clunky compared to Oculus Home/Dash, now you have to clunky experience on top of one another.
Just imagine running rift games on it. Game running on oculus runtime running on revive running on steamvr running on windows mr. Yeah, that sounds nice.
🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

maxpare79
Trustee

kojack said:

maxpare79 said:

Listen I already find that the SteamVR experience is clunky compared to Oculus Home/Dash, now you have to clunky experience on top of one another.
Just imagine running rift games on it. Game running on oculus runtime running on revive running on steamvr running on windows mr. Yeah, that sounds nice.
🙂

Yeah lol but the revive dev actually included something called Remixed in the revive dashboard, that now won't start steamvr when you want to play Rift games, but it's in beta and yeah it's a pain in the ass
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

nrosko
Superstar
Is this the new one where they use the new Anti-SDE technology? 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nrosko said:

Is this the new one where they use the new Anti-SDE technology? 

Yes it is. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

YoLolo69
Trustee
IMHO and reading all that reviews and between lines the anti-SDE system is good when watching videos and movies, a great improvement, but lack when it's about games where sharp images are needed.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

nrosko
Superstar

YoLolo69 said:

IMHO and reading all that reviews and between lines the anti-SDE system is good when watching videos and movies, a great improvement, but lack when it's about games where sharp images are needed.

That would make sense it never advertised to improve sharpness, just SDE.  SDE  is probably the least frustrating vr issue for me. The improved colours, black levels & slight increase in sharpness would make me consider it but the issues with comfort & software is off putting. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
@maxpare79 Hehe still lurking you ol dog. Thanks for the review. Makes me feel less sad there is no Euro release.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It is interesting to see the Odyssey+ being applied beyond just as a WinMR system:

8ohae0x2qg9j.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

maxpare79
Trustee

@maxpare79 Hehe still lurking you ol dog. Thanks for the review. Makes me feel less sad there is no Euro release.

Hehe, yeah never really stopped reading, but I don't use my headset much these days, actually maybe went like 3-4 months without even being touched. But, the Odyssey got me curious and now I am back to using my headset every week :-).

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's no way I'd be able to go 3-4 months without being in VR. I was going stir crazy when I was in the hospital for a couple of weeks on and off lol

Sounds like it's not worth importing one from the US then, not that I was considering it anyway tbh.

I'm still looking at getting either a Pimax 5K+ in 2020 or a CV2 in 2020 (assuming that Oculus will be releasing it then rather than going insane and releasing the Rift S with inside out tracking of course!).

2019 is all about the Yaw VR motion simulator for me, assuming of course that it gets decent reviews when it launches. Elite Dangerous, flight sims and driving sims are going to be CRAZY in VR with a motion simulator.