cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How close are we to deep dive/full immersion VR ?

Obsessed_With_G
Honored Guest
Will it happen within our lifetime ( in 20-50 years)?

By using Elon Musk's Neuralink (Neural Lace 2039???) ,NerveGear, nanobots, mind uploading maybe?

And if we were to achieve this would anyone still want to live in the real world apart from people who are maintaining the system and certain religious groups?(or at least take breaks from full dive VR)

And is this inevitable? 
38 REPLIES 38

falken76
Expert Consultant
This would NEVER take off if it requires surgery.  I sure as hell wouldn't get any surgery to play games or even have access to an actual holodeck.  Not happening.

Anonymous
Not applicable
They said the same thing only a 100 years ago about computers.

They said we would need surgery to use computers? Then they were damn wrong, lol.
I get your point: tech keeps improving to some extent, never say never, I know all that. In that case, that point simply doesn't apply as I'm not saying the tech is not feasible (okay, I did say the words "not possible" once, my bad, I take them back xD). I'm saying it will always be unpractical and that the current system will be just as immersive anyway.
Again, I'll give the example of sight.
- You could have surgery to get bionic eyes that can give you true sight in a VR world.
- OR you can just use the current VR system, that will give you just as good a sight without the need for any surgery. There's a clear winner here.

About the computers 100 years ago, what they did say is it would never take off if it kept the size of a big room. And they were right: computers took off because they got practical as they kept getting smaller and more powerful. The same for cellphones: the first generations were so big and not portable, so they didn't sell well. Then, they got smaller and this is what made them go mainstream.

As for this full dive solution, it will simply never be practical as you simply can't avoid surgery and the millions of electrodes. Hence, it will never happen.

And we're just talking of the tech side here. There's also the human side. The very fact that it requires surgery makes it not a viable solution for most people. Every surgery comes with a risk, and when we're talking about the brain, every risk is lethal or, at best, can make you mentally defective. It would be a shame to drool on your knees for the rest of your life just because a non-required surgery went wrong, don't you think?

Personally, as much as I love VR, even if Oculus themselves were to release a full dive tech, I certainly wouldn't take it if that required tempering with my body.

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer

never be practical as you simply can't avoid surgery and the millions of electrodes. Hence, it will never happen.

There is quite a lot of technology that we don't have access to, In terms of surgery.  It might not be required for full dive technology

Although unfeasible today, you could create ultra sonic waves to interfere and send false signals instead. You could hijack the nervous system.  Although the computing power and precision to read and write in real time is unthinkable today.  We don't really know if full dive needs surgery or not yet.

Also, there may be a future where humans start to diverse with logic driven biological or technological evolution.  It might be common place one day for a percent of the population to just get cybernetic implants from a early age.  Of course there would have to be near 0% failure rates.  The thing is, it's hard to comprehend how fast technology advances will be in 20years. We won't be using current tools and methods, We will have tools that speed up anything we are researching on a order of magnitude that is hard to imagine compared to current process.  We are also just started a AI revolution(over next 10-20years) akin to previous industry revolutions but on a much faster scale.  We won't see the sudden jumps until generation 3 VR devices, But from there on out, that is really when things will get nuts.  100-200 years for full brain read and writing is far too conservative IMO
Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/

Digikid1
Consultant
We would be better off just figuring out how to build force fields and making REAL holographic stuff instead of the fake holograms that we make today. 

We need a REAL holodeck style tech. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nanobots are now being used in Surgery. We are there now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxJPceCV51g

Anonymous
Not applicable
Guess we're closer to smell o vision than I thought, but it looks like it might be a fake or limited understand. Either way, it looks promising if it is true.

https://uploadvr.com/electrical-nose-stimulation-could-let-you-smell-anything-vr/

If they are for real - than this will be deployable over night as this is one key area where VR would shine above all other ways to take in media. I say this feature alone would draw in thousands of people and give way to new ways we take pictures (image + smells) of places we been and seen.

Though can't lie xD having rods up my nose sounds a bit unpleasant, but I guess long as I can breath - having the ability to smell a rose can't be all that bad xD - maybe? 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

Guess we're closer to smell o vision than I thought, but it looks like it might be a fake or limited understand. Either way, it looks promising if it is true.

https://uploadvr.com/electrical-nose-stimulation-could-let-you-smell-anything-vr/

I don't believe it for a second 😄

Digikid1
Consultant

RedRizla said:

Mradr said:

I don't believe it for a second 😄

Get ready for fart smells and other pranks....

ah the possibilities.......

Shinx
Honored Guest
I’m Shinx from the future 2291. Humanity started full dive vr in 2074. It caused a lot of problems more than you can ever imagine. Humanity now facing the danger of extinction because of it. Please try to stop it as much as you can to save the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shinx said:

I’m Shinx from the future 2291. Humanity started full dive vr in 2074. It caused a lot of problems more than you can ever imagine. Humanity now facing the danger of extinction because of it. Please try to stop it as much as you can to save the future.

Bollocks to that. VR is the only way I can get close to naked ladies without the use of chloroform. 😄