cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentral
Explorer
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
323 REPLIES 323

tolitt
Honored Guest
Wishlist.
It would be nice if showed how many times the grid was enlarged!

6pn9y5rnafwp.jpg

tolitt
Honored Guest
The alternate tool mode (Pleace add. Bind "B" I'm left handed)

cn8kl754tzuz.jpg5ruy6apd2l8z.jpgijhl9tcdfmsh.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Photo panel.  Hinge for the camera panel, or set at a slight angle.   First reason, is it can be a bit awkward to reach for some images.  Second reason,  trigger is inconsistent when taking pictures, (doesn't always snap the photo) so I prefer to use the window. 

Unfortunately, the tool projection line often goes through the frame.  Alternative is have the projection beam stop when intersecting the panel, so it doesn't go through the image.

Stef_
Honored Guest
Hey guys, first post here.
It would be nice to be able to pin a window in mid-air, like in Oculus Home, especially when using stamps while kit-bashing. Is there an option for that, am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
Stef

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stef_ said:

Hey guys, first post here.
It would be nice to be able to pin a window in mid-air, like in Oculus Home, especially when using stamps while kit-bashing. Is there an option for that, am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
Stef

I don't think that is possible, but I'm not 100% certain.  I'd guess that if you can or if it gets implemented, it will include a pretty significant performance hit. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Scalable mirror.  

When working on projects with large backgrounds and figures, for example, the mirror is huge  (subjectively a few hundred feet tall) and very difficult to maneuver or align.   Being able to resize the representation would make it much easier to place, and tilt appropriately.  It's pretty difficult to position it when the axis is as wide as the figure and pulling it into position is like reeling in a cruse ship's mooring line.

meler101
Explorer
Batch Export layers and or batch Export layered nested groups with more export controls.

A Batch export function that decimates each layer with control for decimation amount for each layer export (to allow more control per object over fidelity) as a separate file (0001, 0002, 0003) is more or less what I am describing at a basic level.

For level design and art direction from a large scale scene perspective, this tool is badass. It has a lot of rough edges to be viable  within the game industry in regards to pipeline. Especially when you want to iterate easily between engine and software.

I find the export process to lack features to help speed up the decimation process as well as maintain overall fidelity and control to keep the meshes accurate. I most likely will document my workflow sometime this month within a sketchbook thread as suggested by @dreamsharper.

Currently, I export each layer as a seperate FBX (it takes forever as I have to manually rename the file) as to keep the export times low (with large scenes/layers), and to control the overall decimation amount for each layer/object. A scene structure in my workflow is as such: Terrain, Rocks, Trees, Unique object 01, etc. However I need to have necessary control over resolution and ease of use for iteration. Furthermore, It would be awesome, to be able to break up layers into sub layer objects, but im not sure Medium could handle that with a voxel setup.

Sometimes I merge layers and export each layer manually by turning off other layers  to later break up the objects in maya with a mesh separate function. However, you cannot control the individual asset's decimation amount. And sometimes this can cause issues with accuracy and export speed. If no decimation is done, the file can be heavy, and the mesh reduction must be done in Maya or Zbrush (which isn't difficult, but adds time). If I could export each layer as a batch with the layer names I would re nest in Maya or zbrush if necessary.

A further sample is creating a warehouse scene of assets. I made a bunch of rocks and cliffs all in the same project so as to control the overall scale of every asset relative to each other. This is a fantastic thing to do by the way. Now, the export process takes a long time when you try to get all of them out as a single nested file. It would be great if they could be exported in a batch script with all the layer assets being reset and moved to the origin instead of having to do it in Maya like this > Mesh Separate (gets rid of hidden floating vertices or separates objects within layers), Modify > Center Pivot> Manually move to origin. I could make a script in Maya to do this mind you, but it always comes back to decimation being a huge slow down in the process. If it batch exported by turning off each layer as it goes with settings for universal decimation value, or set decimation value per layer, The process would be far smoother as this is what I currently do. The drawback is the naming of the files is manual and time consuming when done manually.

Medium devs, it would be incredible if you could implement instancing within export based of a mesh brush. this way, only one mesh is decimated and then re propagated throughout an area in the final export. this ensures the objects will all look the same without a heavy non decimated scene.

If I can and need to, I usually opt not to decimate, but to export a single merged layer. I then load the OBJ into Zbrush, to handle the dense meshes, Seperate into similar groups, and then have faster more accurate decimation control using decimation master (as you know what the decimation will look like), but this adds more steps than is necessary and slows production. But this is much faster than when done in maya. I just think it would be pretty cool and useful to have more control over the export with larger environment production in mind. If Medium could automate what I do in Zbrush, that would be an incredible time saver as it speeds up iteration times. Including a visualizer for mesh triangulation based on decimation amount 

I would hope to move further discussion to my thread to get more ideas from the rest of you. I am sure this was a confusing read. I tried my best, but I think I just need to document my current workflow (on the way).

My original thread:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71623/export-setting-for-larger-scenes-and-multiple...

Tyrell_Corp
Honored Guest
I have some suggestion for functions. I am attempting to leave PC programs behind and use VR solely to retopologize my meshes. I deal in high poly meshes from photogrammetry scans and would love Medium to gives us more precision.

1) The ability to select with a lasso or bounding box, a portion of my mesh/clay and copy/paste it elsewhere. This would help for example when I have 1 window on a wall that came out perfect but the other windows need help. I can just copy and paste the good window onto the bad ones.

2) I need a way to be more precise for long runs. Like recreating a railing or stairwell. The line tool is great but it's soooo hard in 3d space to line it up perfectly. I'm often recreating railings or table legs or chair legs. I know the 6 DOF is so freeing, but can you devise another snapping method? 

3) I'd love to be able to create huge planes to replace walls on a building. So scalable in real-time, planes that can be any thickness I choose.

There's probably more, but I realize you may not have had people like me in mind when you designed this great program. It would be a life-saver if we could move to VR completely for our VR environment creation. You can see examples of the retopo I've been doing on youtube. Just search for mickeymicklos. 

Thanks guys!

-M

Yiggs
Honored Guest
My biggest complaints are when I'm trying to do rectilinear features/modifications or align things.

Say I'm trying to lathe a cylinder into a cone because the default cone stamps are the wrong angle. I can't lathe it with any assists/constraints as they all rotate along with the lathe and don't stay bound to the location/positioning of the tool. The grid will rotate/line constraint will rotate/etc. 

Aligning things is also a pain if, again, I want to say lath an object and have it be perfectly aligned on the axis but did not start building the model along the xyz axis originally. It would be cool if I could set a line constraint or realign the sculpt axis via two points. pick two spots on a surface and it would draw the axis through that.

In the same vein, having snaps or something to guide me when I realign the clay tool would be nice. If I want to push a cylinder along an axis and the cylinder is not aligned longitudinally, I can't get the line constraint to align perpendicular and central as it's all free floating.

I know medium is mostly used for organic stuff but so often I want to incorporate things that are man-made and thus fairly rectilinear and those become a big hassle to sculpt out nicely.

Subcreation
Explorer
I'd like to see Spectator Mode added for live streaming from a 3rd person POV. I believe it's possible because I've seen the Mixed Reality live streams that the Oculus team makes, but the documentation appears to be down now. I'd like it to work just like in Job Simulator, so you can discover it and enable it easily just from Windows.