cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS VR Any Good?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have the chance to purchase the PS VR headset dirt cheap of someone and just wondered if it is worth getting. Even if it's just to play Resident Evil lol. Seriously though is it any good visually and does it want to make you puke more with it's 60Hz refresh, or is it 75Hz, I can't remember?

Edit: Just checked out some reviews and it's not for me..
24 REPLIES 24

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Agreed mate, I'd turn one down if someone gave me it with a tenner lol
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Pfft, what kind of VR snobbery is this? To this day and in my humble opinion there is no game on any VR device that can match the quality horror VR experience that is RE 7.  What I would do is take it, play RE 7 then sell it after you are done.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I did hear Astro Bot is also supposed to be good 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
The screens are too blurry, the tracking works only while facing one direction, and the controllers are kind of shit, so I really don't advise buying it ^^'.
I played a racing game with it, it was simply unplayable, I could barely see anything.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
You don't need tracking for RE 7.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Just seen a Black friday deal for it, Do you reckon it's worth this price if I ditched the controllers? It's £179.99 with Resident Evil 7 and Astro Bot..

https://www.game.co.uk/en/black-friday/early/psvr/?inStockOnly&cm_sp=deals-_-skinny1-_-EBF-PSVR

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer
I've had Rift and Vive and PSVR since their respective launches, to establish creds.

The PSVR is far better than it has any right to be, given the price it's built down to. I'd recommend it to any aspiring VR player, and have directly sold six by demoing it to friends. 

The tracking (360 degree) is remarkably solid - it's from a VGA-quality camera and lights on the headset but it does really well, you need to be between 1m - 3m of the camera for full reliability. It doesn't require a training session.

The visuals are slightly mixed but overall good. Yes it's lower res than Rift, but the pixels are individually masked so no subpixel visual artefacts exist, each pixel is one colour not three and touch so there's no screen door. The lenses are normal not fresnel so no god rays. 120Hz probably helps make it good, even though that's by trickery from a 60Hz signal (if I remember correctly).

The headset strapping is best of class for keeping it set solid on your head, and for getting it in the right place for visuals too. (Note: I've not tried the new strapping for the Vive)

The Move controllers are a bit shit, Wii-quality waggle, but I've used them like once. The gun thing is very good though. The PS4 controller is tracked too, and is what I use 99% of the time.

All said, I'd rate it 5/5 if I hadn't used higher-res headsets. 4/5 it is.

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer
One major downside I forgot, the external headphones required makes it a faff, same as the Vive.

An additional plus: You can use it with a PS4 without even needing a TV, just press the on button on the PSVR lead and you get a virtual screen immediately. I've set it up this way at events in the past - camera blu-tacked to the top of the PS4, no TV.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@JaimieVandenbergh - I thought that PS VR was only front facing? Are you sure it's 360 degree tracked?