cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crow the Legend, a stunning animated interactive movie.

LZoltowski
Champion
So this just dropped in the store, and WOW. Oculus Studios and Baobab have created something very magical.

Voiced by a stellar cast such as John Legend, Oprah Winfrey, and Constance Wu, takes you on a journey of self-discovery and finding your way in times of darkness.

The beautifully animated world that would not look out of place in the latest Pixar movie is beautifully rendered. I HIGHLY recommend it, it's FREE!

Contains interactive elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZhyZ3Gl1c

Available for the Rift, GO and Gear VR

https://www.oculus.com/blog/bringing-crow-the-legend-to-life-on-oculus/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
36 REPLIES 36

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

@RuneSR2 - in your reviews I just Ctrl+F for "Super Sampling." If it's a yes, I know the rating is high for you lol

Actually I primarily provide super sampling info to tell users about performance. I guess you can read between the lines that if a GTX 1080 can provide 90 fps ss 2.0 then gtx 970 to 1060 should have no problem getting 90 fps using ss 1.0 to 1.5  😉

There are a ton of simple apps and games in the Oculus Store that have low hardware requirements, and I'm quite sure I can get 90 fps using ss 2.0 in nearly all of them, I'd never rate a game or app 5/5 just because I get 90 fps ss 2.0, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not too sure how much to charge for @vannagirl The Legend. I was thinking $100 cos then the maths is easier. And it should be a nice little earner for her considering I'm going to be kind enough to give her a 1% cut. If we release it on all three Oculus headsets we could end up selling over a million copies of this, which would make her a millionairess. B)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Wow, that is one of the most impressive Free apps yet and I really enjoyed it on my Rift.  Much better than the paid production Spheres which I did not think lived up to all its review hype.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ohgrant
Superstar
Thanks just brilliant. Way to go Oculus Studios 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable
And because she hasn't commented in this thread we can all take it for granted that she's taking part in @vannagirl The Legend.

Please feel free to PM me your credit card details so that I can start taking pre-orders. B) 😄

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
My 6-year-old son saw the movie this weekend and loved it - actually he found out that you could move inside the movie - more like zoom in - he's already ahead of his dad, sigh :blush:

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I certainly hope your 6 year old son HASN'T seen @vannagirl in this video!!! I think we need to phone Social Services  😮

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
One problem with Crow may be that it sets the bar for VR movies so high that developers of similar experiences might not/never be able to compete - or be able to provide experiences that just barely resemble Crow in quality. 

For example I just tried Aurora last evening - and in 2016 such a VR movie may have been impressive, but compared to Crow, The Bond - and even The Great C - Aurora feels beyond mediocre (Aurora works perfectly using super sampling 2.0 on my rig though). 

I wish I could, but I can't recommend this movie - it's about 3-4 minutes long and costs $3 (I'm sorry for the devs, but today any movie of such limited quality and length should probably be free):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1871793999545823

LZoltowski
Champion

RuneSR2 said:

One problem with Crow may be that it sets the bar for VR movies so high that developers of similar experiences might not/never be able to compete - or be able to provide experiences that just barely resemble Crow in quality. 

For example I just tried Aurora last evening - and in 2016 such a VR movie may have been impressive, but compared to Crow, The Bond - and even The Great C - Aurora feels beyond mediocre (Aurora works perfectly using super sampling 2.0 on my rig though). 

I wish I could, but I can't recommend this movie - it's about 3-4 minutes long and costs $3 (I'm sorry for the devs, but today any movie of such limited quality and length should probably be free):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1871793999545823

You have to consider that The Crow was made by a studio that is formed of digital animation Hollywood alumni. Those people worked on Oscar-winning DreamWorks animations, they have oscar winning technical engineers and scientists on the team. They are Hollywood veterans with backing from the industry.

Pink Kong, the folks behind AURORA a very indie studio so it's a bit unfair to compare.

It would be like saying, some guy's short movie he made in a basement is not as good as Pixar's latest blockbuster. Each has their own qualities. 

It costs time and money to make something, why would they offer it for free? 

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

It costs time and money to make something, why would they offer it for free? 

The Bond and Crow are free - these movies must have cost quite a lot of money to make, I don't know the economy behind Aurora. Of course $3 may be fine for some - it's about 50% the price for The Great C. 

But do try Aurora and let me know what you think - I decided not to write a review in the Store - and I guess many may like Aurora, it has gotten several awards: