New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus "poisons" DirectX 9 apps

gjpcgjpc Posts: 14
NerveGear

The new version of Oculus stops DirectX 9 apps from running after it is run once.  I must reboot my machine to get DirectX 9 services back.

How to replicate the problem:

1. Set LoTRO to run in DirectX 9 mode.
  2. Start LoTRO, it runs fine.
  3. Exit LoTRO
  4. Run Oculus app.
  5. Put on the Rift headset and view home
  6. Remove the headset
  7. Exit Oculus app (or not)
  8. Start LoTRO
  9. LoTRO startup will fail with message box DirectX 9 is unavailable
  10. Reboot machine
  11. Start LoTRO
  12. LoTRO runs fine in DirectX 9 mode

This bug is reprehensible no vendor's software should ever disable another vendor's software.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
               Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
               Memory: 32768MB RAM
               Available OS Memory: 32720MB RAM
               DirectX Version: DirectX 12
               Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
               Manufacturer: NVIDIA
               Chip type: GeForce GTX 1070
               Display Memory: 24455 MB
               Dedicated Memory: 8096 MB
               Shared Memory: 16359 MB

Tagged:

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited November 2018
    Does this happen with other DX9 games? Is it possible it's something game specific to LoTRO?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • gjpcgjpc Posts: 14
    NerveGear

Hello cyberreality,

I am a casual gamer and have very few games installed. If you would recommend a freely downloadable DirectX 9 game, I would be happy to run a test for you.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 746
    3Jane
    I'm pretty sure that this is a well known DX9 compatibility issue that happens with very old dx9 apps and has nothing to do with the Rift (or any of its updates).  Probably more of a Win10, Nvidia, and/or the App itself issue(s) imho.  

While dx12 (or dx11) should provide backward compatibility it does not always do this with very old dx9 games.  The solution myself and others have used in the past is to simply install dx9c on top of dx11/12.  This should not overwrite newer dx versions.  It should just supply the necessary dx library files for older dx9 apps.

I'm not sure if this will help your loTRO (lord of thrones, 2007 version) issue though?  Maybe google/check loTro forums for ways around this, and other problems.  Maybe try running it in dx11 mode.  If you think it is due to the 1.32/core 2 home updates maybe send off some log files to Oculus support for their review.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I'm pretty sure that this is a well known DX9 compatibility issue that happens with very old dx9 apps and has nothing to do with the Rift (or any of its updates).  Probably more of a Win10, Nvidia, and/or the App itself issue(s) imho.  

While dx12 (or dx11) should provide backward compatibility it does not always do this with very old dx9 games.  The solution myself and others have used in the past is to simply install dx9c on top of dx11/12.  This should not overwrite newer dx versions.  It should just supply the necessary dx library files for older dx9 apps.

I'm not sure if this will help your loTRO (lord of thrones, 2007 version) issue though?  Maybe google/check loTro forums for ways around this, and other problems.  Maybe try running it in dx11 mode.  If you think it is due to the 1.32/core 2 home updates maybe send off some log files to Oculus support for their review.

TomCgcmfc:

1. LoTRO is Lord of the Rings Online a 10 year old multi player game endorsed by the Tolkien heirs
    2. LoTRO RUNS PERFECTLY on my rig in DX9 mode also DX10,11 and 12 mode
    3. WHEN I RUN Oculus it runs BUT IT CORRUPTS DX!
    4. When I run LoTRO once again before rebooting DX9 is not available BECAUSE I RAN Oculus. IT IS NOT A MATTER OF LoTRO COMPATABILITY! IT IS A MATTER OF OCULUS DOING BAD STUFF TO WINDOWS 10 and DX WHEN IT RUNS!!!!
    AGAIN this is an OCULUS issue, not a LoTRO issue!
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 746
    3Jane
    Well maybe open an Oculus suppprt ticket and send in a log file.  Maybe they can help sort this out for you.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    NerveGear

TomCgcmfc,

Thanks, I did not know they had a ticket system, report submitted.