cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go Mid Life Refresh

Dilip
Rising Star
Since Oculus themselves admitted that GO is most Successful headset with number of user actively using, its great idea to make some very minor changes to Oculus Go which can drastically improve experience. 

1) Improved Battery for longer runtime
2) Support to attach powerbank where attaching power bank cut off internal battery,thus avoid chances of overheating
3) Bigger Size of memory 128 gb and 256 gb versions
4) Pen-drive support for media
5) If possible include Samsung Anti SDE displays (Since i strongly believe those displays may look even wonderful with Go optics)

I know last one seem implausible for now but that what life is all about .. things are only challenge as long as someone don't dare try them.
(Here someone is FB Oculus B2B approach to Samsung.)
4 REPLIES 4

Dilip
Rising Star
Since wonderful free experience like Crow now taking up 1.88 GB and things are just started shaping up nice..don't think 128 GB and 256 GB version is asking too much. They are indeed need of time.

przecinek
Rising Star
I agree 128gb would be great, maybe together with a cosmetic price drop of the base 32gb model down to $/£189 🙂

One has to bear in mind Go was released just this year so it might be too early for mid life refreshes of any kind 🙂

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
The Quest will be the new "Go", so there is no need for a refreshed Go.

The battery life however seems to be on par with the Go and it doesn't have support for SD-Cards which sucks big time...i don't want to use my internal storage for 360 Movies/Experiences like Blue, Henry or Crow. I also don't buy new stuff anymore, because the storage is already filled up and i don't want to delete other stuff...maybe someday they will support sd-cards/sticks.

Direct Power would be VERY nice. My battery pack could power the Go for even longer than the internal battery can(20k mAh). My Go(s) are all overhating when i use and charge them 😕

It would also help to have replaceable Batteries. This way i could charge the empty battery and just swap it with a charged one. 2 hours batterylife is just far too short and the charge time is far too long.

But the Quest is already designed and there won't be changes to the hardware i guess 😕

thatkeith
Explorer
Direct power would be cool, but it would need to be actively managed. The Go can’t know whether you’ve connected power to charge or to run, so a software switch (that defaults to charging, to avoid tears and tantrums) would be the solution there.